Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PAC

Re: Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by PAC » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Joan of Arc, written by Helen Castor.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Sputryk wrote:
rtrgrl78 wrote:Just finished 'Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham, that was a quite a good science fiction read, especially as it was wrote quite a long time ago. Believe there is a movie out there, so may have to look out for it.
There is this adaptation by the BBC which is really rather good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Triffids-DV ... e+triffids

:D

Currently balancing three books:

The Gathering Storm - Part 12 of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brendan Sanderson)
A Song of Fire and Ice - Part 1 of A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin
The Gentleman's Instant Genius Guide by Tom Cutler
Yes the movie isn't great , but the BBC serial is brill. There's also an unofficial sequel 'The Night of the Triffids' which is also quite good.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:39 am

Currently two thirds of the way through "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler. One thing he can't be accused of is misleading people regarding his beliefs and intentions. It's quite simply the most astonishingly hate-filled text I've ever read in my life.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

dste

Post by dste » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Red The Wishing Game by Patrick Redmond.

Really good read.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm

On the last hour of the Brent Weeks Graphic Audio trilogy of Night Angel.
Really enjoyed it to be honest. Very much a book for boys with lots of magic and monsters but wrapped around a surprisingly indepth plot of political intrigue.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Future Days - Krautrock and the Building of Modern Germany.

Interesting so far, details all of the major bands in the krautrock scene
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 am

I'm currently reading through Hard Contact. It's the first in a series of novels focusing on the Republic Commandos from Star Wars, so far I can't put it down! Can't wait to read through the whole series.

I'm also on-and-off reading the Posleen saga from John Ringo and I have several other Star Wars books, alongside Ready Player One & Broken Circle (Halo) to read.

If anyone has any suggestions on books they enjoyed, especially sci fi/military sci fi/expanded universes I'd be interested.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Rayne wrote:I'm currently reading through Hard Contact. It's the first in a series of novels focusing on the Republic Commandos from Star Wars, so far I can't put it down! Can't wait to read through the whole series.

I'm also on-and-off reading the Posleen saga from John Ringo and I have several other Star Wars books, alongside Ready Player One & Broken Circle (Halo) to read.

If anyone has any suggestions on books they enjoyed, especially sci fi/military sci fi/expanded universes I'd be interested.
Have you read any of the Warhammer 40K novels? The WH40K stuff makes for excellent military sci-fi and you don't need to be a Warhammer nut to get into it. Best series for me has been the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. They focus on a company of imperial troops rather than the overpowered Space Marines. Available in good value omnibus editions too. They're kind of like a sci-fi version of the Sharpe novels.
Good introduction to the enormous WH40K universe.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:38 am

The Beans wrote:
Rayne wrote:I'm currently reading through Hard Contact. It's the first in a series of novels focusing on the Republic Commandos from Star Wars, so far I can't put it down! Can't wait to read through the whole series.

Have you read any of the Warhammer 40K novels? The WH40K stuff makes for excellent military sci-fi and you don't need to be a Warhammer nut to get into it. Best series for me has been the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. They focus on a company of imperial troops rather than the overpowered Space Marines. Available in good value omnibus editions too. They're kind of like a sci-fi version of the Sharpe novels.
Good introduction to the enormous WH40K universe.
I appreciate the suggestion! Warhammer always intrigued me but I always figured it was too complicated to get into. I've give the Ghosts novels a shot on my next e-book binge

dste

Post by dste » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

If you are not familiar with it it's about a near dystopian future where people pretty much live in a virtual reality world called OASIS. The creator of it dies and leaves an easter egg for people to find which will grant them ownership and money.

It's very cliched and in parts badly written but my god the pop culture refrences, especially for games, is fantastic. On that basis alone I would recommend reading it.

The autobiography of Alex Ferguson which was crap.

Not particulary a fan of the guy but he was massively successful and I thought that it would be an interesting read. Completely uninspiring, badly structued, doesn't go into any depth about anything and pretty much just goes off on tangents.

Don't bother with it would be my advice.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:36 pm

One Red Paperclip by Kyle MacDonald

Yeah the book of the bloke who traded from a paperclip to a house in a year. Excellent read.

Relative Dementias - Doctor Who 7th Doc novel. Creepy yet well written with a very sad undertone.
Going Solo...................

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Not books as such but currently reading through the DC Flashpoint storyline leading up to the new 52. It's better than a lot of crossovers to be honest!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:14 pm

A Dance of Shadows by David Dalglish. Loved books 1-3, hope this is more of the same.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Sputryk wrote:
rtrgrl78 wrote:Just finished 'Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham, that was a quite a good science fiction read, especially as it was wrote quite a long time ago. Believe there is a movie out there, so may have to look out for it.
There is this adaptation by the BBC which is really rather good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Triffids-DV ... e+triffids

Thanks, I will try and catch that probably stream it from somewhere.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 pm

dste wrote:Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

If you are not familiar with it it's about a near dystopian future where people pretty much live in a virtual reality world called OASIS. The creator of it dies and leaves an easter egg for people to find which will grant them ownership and money.

It's very cliched and in parts badly written but my god the pop culture refrences, especially for games, is fantastic. On that basis alone I would recommend reading it.

The autobiography of Alex Ferguson which was crap.

Not particulary a fan of the guy but he was massively successful and I thought that it would be an interesting read. Completely uninspiring, badly structued, doesn't go into any depth about anything and pretty much just goes off on tangents.

Don't bother with it would be my advice.
So just to be clear, your recommending a book that's clichéd and badly written but we shouldn't bother with the best selling, non-fiction hardback of all time?