Which book(s) are you currently reading?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

neuromancer

Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Post by neuromancer » Mon May 14, 2007 10:58 pm

I can see threads for 'what are you currently listening to?' and 'what are you currently watching' but nothing active for 'reading'. I think there was a thread running a while back but it's been buried under the deluge of recent posts.

I've just finished a Robert Silverberg book called 'Dying Inside' about a telepath whose powers are waning. This is classic Silverberg; really different, thoughtful, character driven sci-fi.

I'm also drawing to the end of 'Hackers' by Steven Levy; this is a very thorough and informative insight into the very early days of the computing scene in America, covering a lot og ground including the pre-computer Tech Railroad Model Club at MIT, the early PDP hackers, the homebrew computer club that eventually gave birth to such massive names as Apple, Atari, Sierra on-line, and ends around 1982 /1983 with the massive meltdown of the home computer market (let's all blame Atari and ET for that one!)

Also on the go are a few 6502 / Z80) assembler books, but they're primarily making me feel somewhat a) old and b) thick!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm sporadically reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Heroic fantasy never fails to float my boat.

I'm a big fan of Robin Hobb's work too.
Thoughts and prayers.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue May 15, 2007 12:16 am

Brian Lumley's Titus Crow series. The Universe in a nutshell by Stephen Hawking. :)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue May 15, 2007 2:46 am

Just finished 'Thats Me in The Corner' by Andrew Collins, the final book in his trilogy about his life. This one deals with his journalism and broadcasting career. Excellent.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue May 15, 2007 6:08 am

Martin Johnson's Autobiography

If you like rugby its a great read

^^ Probably the most obvious statment in this forum

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue May 15, 2007 8:36 am

LeeT wrote:Just finished 'Thats Me in The Corner' by Andrew Collins, the final book in his trilogy about his life. This one deals with his journalism and broadcasting career. Excellent.
I read the first one, and found it hilarious.

I recommend Mark Radcliffe's Showbusiness: The Diary Of A Rock 'N' Roll Nobody. I really liked it.
Last edited by The Penultimate Ninja on Tue May 15, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 am

I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, it's brilliant (and moves at a great pace despite being 900 pages long).

It's got some nice tie-ins with his Baroque Cycle novels, which i read last summer.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:10 am

I have just finished A feast for crows by George RR Martin (book 4 of a song of fire and Ice) IMHO the best fantasy epic series ever written with far more emphasis on charactors that monsters or quests.

Just started One hit wonderland by Tony Hawks (the comic not the skateboarder) enjoyed his two previous books a lot.

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 am

I've just started Treasure Island again (for what must be the 500th time!)
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 am

Great Railway Bazar by Paul Theroux.

I'm a travel book nut, but I have just read some recent fiction that I really enjoyed: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. I'm a fan of M.R. James and this captures a similar feel of Victorian/Edwardian mystery. Quite brilliant.
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue May 15, 2007 11:25 am

By the bed...

Michael Palin, The Python Years

In the front room...

The definitive making of Star Wars.

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Tue May 15, 2007 11:27 am

I am reading John Boyne's Crippen, which is a true story of the escape attempt of a nototious killer. :shock:

It's not a bad read, I am not a big fan of thriller books though.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm

rossi46 wrote:I'm sporadically reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Heroic fantasy never fails to float my boat.
Fantastic choice, Ros. Have read the majority of the series to-date. How RJ keeps track of everyone and everything going on is beyond me.

Currently reading:

Pt 10 of the Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
Watchers - Dean Koontz (again! Possibly my fave book of all)
Sir Partick Moore autobiog

Plenty of others waiting in the wings, too, including more Koontz (all his most recent), Tad Williams' 'Otherland' series, Richard Pryor biog, The Pythons biog, Clavell's 'Shougun', Koji Suzuki's 'Ring, Spiral & Loop' and Koushun Takemi's 'Battle Royale'. I estimate over 50 unread books!

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue May 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Tapey297 wrote:Just started One hit wonderland by Tony Hawks (the comic not the skateboarder) enjoyed his two previous books a lot.
I didn't enjoy it as much as Round Ireland with a Fridge or Playing the Moldovans at Tennis, although there were some great moments in it. My copy came with a CD featuring the songs he talks about in the book. I thought that was a nice touch.

I found Tim Moore's travel writing is also very enjoyable if you like Tony Hawks. French Revolutions was particularly good.
Last edited by The Penultimate Ninja on Tue May 15, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue May 15, 2007 2:04 pm

jimbobmitch wrote:Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke.
I liked this one a lot too. It captures the style of the literature of that period really well.