NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

STAY IN OR LEAVE THE EU?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:01 pm

STAY IN THE EU
46%
LEAVE THE EU
43%
NOT DECIDED
8%
DON'T CARE
3%

Total votes: 63

Negative Creep

Re: NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Corbyn must be a dead man walking by now. He conducted a half arsed campaign that ignored the concerns of many of his core voters

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, but where do people think the other 13 million votes came from? It's not like UKIP support has surged in the voting intention polls during the campaign, or anything like that.
Mostly Tory supporters by the looks of it, according to one graph I saw. All the other parties' supporters generally voted Remain. Apparently 2/3 of Labour supporters voted Remain.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Just posted the following on Facebook

So I am trying to very hard to stay claim right now, if you have had any interactions with myself today then you know what state I have been in. However I want to address a few points

1. I have seen the following posted all over the face “I voted leave but expected remain – I am worried now” - You should have done your goolging before voting and not after, sorry !
2. The UK may be leaving the EU, however this does not mean we are going back in time. You will not be able to smoke in pubs again / “have a few” then drive home / etc
3. You think David Cameron was bad, wait till Alexander 'Boris' de Pfeffel Johnson (yes that is his full name) becomes the PM. Boris is an old school of the highest oder.
4. I have seen people saying they voted leave because they wanted David Cameron to quit and then call a snap election at which point Jeremy Corbyn would become the PM. Sorry but Jeremy will not have a job this time next week.
5. The only reason the economy is not in total free fall right now is thanks to the Bank of England. They stand ready to inject £250bn.We are lucky that the FTSE only dropped 3.15% today.
6. Fuel prices at the pumps will be higher next week. This is because oil is bought and sold in dollars. The pound is now at 7 year low against the dollar.
7. Cornwall is already after UK government cash. “The government must replace the millions of pounds of EU support Cornwall may lose from Brexit with investment, its council leader says.” The county receives the most money in England. Sorry people of Cornwall you voted to leave the EU so no more EU cash for you
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm

If the never before EU voters had voted last year there would have not been a tory government which was part of the leave process for some. I despair!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Also interesting to note that apparently since this morning the UK has lost its place as the 5th largest economy in the world to France due to the collapse of sterling. I guess we were warned.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:24 pm

it will all settle down... and if it doesn't then it doesn't. We will prevail.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm

gman72 wrote:it will all settle down... and if it doesn't then it doesn't. We will prevail.
I hope so. I do wonder if there were a significant number of protest votes for leave to try and upset the establishment (which is fair enough), but those people never expecting this result and it's finally dawning on them the consequences.

Perhaps also the normally pro euro labour, green and liberal vote who didn't get out there last night due to apathy and feeling this was a quarrel within the tory party.

Maybe referendum voting should be compulsory so that a 100% turnout ensures little room for playing political games.

Ultimately it's all ifs, buts and excuses. I accept the vote, I just am deeply concerned it will at all pay off and that it has a strong enough backing overall. I hope for all our sake we've not made a huge blunder.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:38 pm

I voted for change. I firmly believe that British politics in general and our place in the EU needed a major shake up, and so it has passed. I won't pretend to be clairvoyant and to be able to see where the dice will fall but I believe change is a good thing and that we need to start down a new path. A path that initially at least may not be as easy as the one we walk right now.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Personally, I'm loving the crying coming from the losing side of this referendum. Keep it coming. :D

It's nearly as good as the bleating jocks who apparently thought they were having a seperate EU referendum just for scotland. :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 pm

The Beans wrote:Personally, I'm loving the crying coming from the losing side of this referendum. Keep it coming. :D
Saw that there was a petition online currently at 140k+ votes to have another refurendum :roll:

Who genuinely thinks that you can just keep having refurendums until you get the result that you want?!?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Megamixer wrote: Saw that there was a petition online currently at 140k+ votes to have another refurendum :roll:

Who genuinely thinks that you can just keep having refurendums until you get the result that you want?!?
Well, there's the SNP for a start :lol:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:35 pm

The Beans wrote:Personally, I'm loving the crying coming from the losing side of this referendum. Keep it coming. :D

It's nearly as good as the bleating jocks who apparently thought they were having a seperate EU referendum just for scotland. :lol:
To be fair Beans, it should come as no surprise the losing side here feels anxious and upset about this very close result. This is a critical decision for this country, and people of all sides have no idea how it will pan out, so are genuinely concerned over what the future holds - especially since this is a rather permanent decision, and not just a 5 year election cycle. There was no guarantee that remaining in the EU would be perfect, but it was the "devil we know". I'm not bitter about the result, just disappointed and feel the "remain" campaign didn't do any favours (from all sides of the political spectrum). I think the majority of people have accepted the result though, me included, and will anxiously await what comes next.

I feel sorry for the Scottish electorate. They overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU, and its counted for nothing. They will be dragged out, along with Northern Ireland, due to England and Wales. You can enjoy the gloating at the expense of others if it makes you happy - you seem to revel in other peoples misfortune (please correct me if this is unfair). While leaving the EU ultimately affects me as much as it does you, I do have many close relationships with people who are EU citizens living here (as you well know), and they are genuinely upset and feel their future is far more uncertain now, as well as feeling rejected and unwelcome from the UK public. I don't feel its the time for flippant remarks and smugness - although i'm not sure it will stop you.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:27 pm

This vote has perfectly illustrated why the EU and international government is such a bad idea. The majority of British posters in this thread are displeased, they have been out voted by the majority and have to live with the consequences, 51% can tell the other 49% the way it's going to be.

This flaw of democracy is magnified the larger it is, more people may have to live unhappily under the decisions of the majority. If you have a population of 11, you can have 5 unhappy people living under the majoity of 6, if you increase it to 21, now you may have 10 unhappy people living under the majority of 11, and so on. If there was an actual vote within the EU you could have over 200 million people (multiple countries worth) pissed off with the result. Obviously you can never satisfy all the people all the time, but the bigger the political body, the greater the potential to force on an increasing number of people a political/economic/cultural direction they don't like.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 pm

I find it rather funny that people are calling for another referendum. Obviously democracy is only a good thing when you get the result you want.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Well, this bleating jock is only going to say one more thing.

Enjoy your Little England. Close your narrow gates to the darkies and Eastern Europeans while you all wring your xenophobic hands and give thanks to Lord Farage the great crusader against Johnny Foreigner.

What will you spend your £350m per week on?
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!