NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

STAY IN OR LEAVE THE EU?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:01 pm

STAY IN THE EU
46%
LEAVE THE EU
43%
NOT DECIDED
8%
DON'T CARE
3%

Total votes: 63

nokgod

Re: NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

Post by nokgod » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
nokgod wrote:
I just don't understand why people who have left the country willingly should then be eligible to affect the lives of the population they left behind. It seems highly hypocritical . Help me out here and explain why they should.
Its a fair question, but I would suggest that some people want to eventually return to the country of birth (whether you are english, czech, polish etc). I think a decision as important and as long term as this warrants their say as well (even as a minority). Its not like a general election cycle which is relatively short term at 5 years, this is potentially a once in a lifetime deal, especially if we leave. Even if these people never want to return for whatever reason, it doesn't mean they stop caring about their home country, or the lives of their families who may be back here.
OK i understand the alternative POV now (along with Matt_B's personal insight) although i still don't agree. I think expats should forfeit their right to vote once they leave the country but i DO think they should automatically regain their right to vote IF they repatriate at any point in the future. That just seems the most logical solution to me. Maybe its an oversimplification, i dunno.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Even if we vote remain UkIP will be the real winner of this referendum in the same way Scotland voting to stay part of the UK helped the SNP. UKIP is the only party that represents the views of the many millions who will vote to leave. A leave vote would probably kill ukip as it would lose its reason to exist

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 am

Cripper2 wrote:Even if we vote remain UkIP will be the real winner of this referendum in the same way Scotland voting to stay part of the UK helped the SNP. UKIP is the only party that represents the views of the many millions who will vote to leave. A leave vote would probably kill ukip as it would lose its reason to exist
Farage will get Knighted probably.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:30 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Farage will get Knighted probably.
We can dream

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:38 am

Now that we have significantly reduced our risk of being raped by Albanians, what now for BNP-Lite? What will Farage and the rest of the Cup of Tea and Polite Racism Party campaign for? Compulsory fox hunting? VAT-Free tweed clothes?
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am

rossi46 wrote:Now that we have significantly reduced our risk of being raped by Albanians, what now for BNP-Lite? What will Farage and the rest of the Cup of Tea and Polite Racism Party campaign for? Compulsory fox hunting? VAT-Free tweed clothes?
Not sure on the fox hunting, going a bit far there old sport, maybe we can patrol and hunt the borders for illegal immigrants?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

rossi46 wrote:Now that we have significantly reduced our risk of being raped by Albanians, what now for BNP-Lite? What will Farage and the rest of the Cup of Tea and Polite Racism Party campaign for? Compulsory fox hunting? VAT-Free tweed clothes?
:roll:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:29 pm

What really sickens me is the sight of the gloating Farage taking the credit for "UK Independence Day" when the people didn't vote to leave the EU because of UKIP, they voted to leave despite Farage and UKIP.
Let's Go Mets!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:44 pm

rossi46 wrote:What really sickens me is the sight of the gloating Farage taking the credit for "UK Independence Day" when the people didn't vote to leave the EU because of UKIP, they voted to leave despite Farage and UKIP.
Given that the official Leave campaign basically just ignored him, you might be right. Then again I wouldn't give Gove and Johnson much credit either. How much leadership do you think it takes to goad the British public into telling the EU to get stuffed? That seemed to be about all their campaign amounted to from my perspective.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Damn, Rossi is mad.

Rossi don't worry I'm sure you won't be forced to work any time soon. It'll be quite a few years before we limit migration and you might just have to take one of those jobs currently unfilled by eu migrants. Your benefits are safe :lol:
Last edited by samhain81 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:52 pm

rossi46 wrote:What really sickens me is the sight of the gloating Farage taking the credit for "UK Independence Day" when the people didn't vote to leave the EU because of UKIP, they voted to leave despite Farage and UKIP.
I'm no friend of Farage or UKIP, but to be fair to them, they will have brought over their 4m plus voters from the general election last year, and at least this time it counted for more than just one seat in an unfair first past the post election system we currently have.
samhain81 wrote:Damn, Rossi is mad.

Rossi don't worry I'm sure you won't be forced to work any time soon. It'll be quite a few years before we limit migration and you might just have to take one of those jobs currently filed by eu migrants. Your benefits are safe :lol:
The same EU migration rules are likely to remain for 2 years while we negotiate out (and arguably more EU migrants will come across during in this time), then probably not ultimately change much anyway as we chase a trade deal with Europe which similar to Switzerland and Norway will require freedom of movement and lots of EU rules and regulations that we were trying to avoid in the first place. So perhaps best to not throw baseless insults and gloat just yet.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:59 pm

samhain81 wrote:Damn, Rossi is mad.

Rossi don't worry I'm sure you won't be forced to work any time soon. It'll be quite a few years before we limit migration and you might just have to take one of those jobs currently unfilled by eu migrants. Your benefits are safe :lol:
Just for the record, I have claimed not one penny benefit in my entire life. I'm currently working 50-70 hours per week in agricultural science.
Let's Go Mets!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:19 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Just for the record, I have claimed not one penny benefit in my entire life. I'm currently working 50-70 hours per week in agricultural science.
Its probably not worth feeding the Farage trolls. They have finally got what they wanted and fair play to them for their persistence, so will be enjoying gloating while they can and until it dawns on them that it will probably amount to nothing once the painful long, drawn out brexit negotiations commence. The shrinking economy may though help dissuade those pesky immigrants (that brought economic growth up till now) from bothering with the UK, so that might appease them.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
I'm no friend of Farage or UKIP, but to be fair to them, they will have brought over their 4m plus voters from the general election last year, and at least this time it counted for more than just one seat in an unfair first past the post election system we currently have.
Yeah, but where do people think the other 13 million votes came from? It's not like UKIP support has surged in the voting intention polls during the campaign, or anything like that.

Anyway, I guess Farage and his UKIP friends will be looking for a new vocation to replace the considerable loss of income from no longer being MEPs soon.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Well I voted remain. I don't think we are ready just yet to leave but its going to be interesting to see how things play out.

Could go bad, could go well. all we can do now is wait and see.