NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

STAY IN OR LEAVE THE EU?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:01 pm

STAY IN THE EU
46%
LEAVE THE EU
43%
NOT DECIDED
8%
DON'T CARE
3%

Total votes: 63

Sephiroth81

Re: NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:35 pm

markopoloman wrote:Working in the pub trade I get to speak to a wide range of people - and although politics is generally not allowed to be discussed in my pubs, this has been a subject that just cant be left alone.
The POLL result here is pretty much the opposite to what people are saying down here! Actually, more like 60/40 are OUT.
To be fair, many of the people you are "polling" have permanent alcohol damage to the brain. :P But I guess a votes a vote, just hope they all remember to get out to the ballot box and don't pass out in some strangers doorway en route.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Now hold on there Mr Oth81... I have respectable patrons in my establishments :D Not Lager swilling A-holes... my customers enjoy beer for its flavour and style and don't go out to get shatfaced.

Actually, if we look at another of my past times - At Church on a Sunday we have a vast amount of nationalities. I don't know a single one of them that is voting IN. Thats the Romanians, Russians, Latvians, Greeks, Syrians, Finish, Romulans, Georgians, Egyptians..... and other nationalities that I've forgotten! Then there are our Polish friends that are all voting OUT..........
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 am

So why do some of your ales need to be 9% alcohol?? Why can't they be like Becks Blue if it's all about the taste :wink:

As for the romuluns and cardassians at church telling you they're voting out...they're just saying it to you to have a peaceful Sunday and not cause a scene :mrgreen:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:53 am

Cardassians - they are not welcome. The Romulans sneak in with Romulan Ale and can be quite cheerful by the end of the Liturgy.

Oh, and 9% ales are fantastic. So full of flavour - but if you fancy a Becks Blue, who am I to argue :lol: (Although it is probably the best non-alcoholic lager in the world!)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:So why do some of your ales need to be 9% alcohol?? Why can't they be like Becks Blue if it's all about the taste :wink:

As for the romuluns and cardassians at church telling you they're voting out...they're just saying it to you to have a peaceful Sunday and not cause a scene :mrgreen:
Try Brew Dog's Nanny State sometime. It's a full flavoured craft beer but only has 0.5% alcohol, so you can pretty much drink your fill of it and still drive.

Anyway, much like the Scottish referendum I think it's a case of supporters of change being much louder than those who want to preserve the status quo. The "shy no" vote carried it there and I expect it'll probably do so again.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 am

markopoloman wrote:Cardassians - they are not welcome. The Romulans sneak in with Romulan Ale and can be quite cheerful by the end of the Liturgy.

Oh, and 9% ales are fantastic. So full of flavour - but if you fancy a Becks Blue, who am I to argue :lol: (Although it is probably the best non-alcoholic lager in the world!)
And with Klingons its always blood wine or get your windows broke

Apart from that one guy that just has prune juice
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Wonder If RG is representative of public vote. So trying to care! Wish it was over!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Well, not much has changed compared to the last vote thread. If we are the perfect breakdown of the UK population then we are staying in the EU......

Lets hope it is a little more exciting than that! But I think it'll be a copy of the Scottish vote and end up being 55%ish Stay.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:26 pm

When something does not accord with what we WANT to hear, it must therefore be wrong, the remain campaign seem to be particularly precious.. Martin Lewis had 2 pages in the Daily Mirror today and he say an In vote also has a level of uncertainly same with out vote..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Shinobi wrote:When something does not accord with what we WANT to hear, it must therefore be wrong, the remain campaign seem to be particularly precious.. Martin Lewis had 2 pages in the Daily Mirror today and he say an In vote also has a level of uncertainly same with out vote..
Everything has a level of uncertainty, but the balance of evidence comes down in favour of remaining rather than leaving. People keep going on about the 'scare tactics' of the remain campaign, about how they're saying things could be more expensive etc. if we leave the EU, that's because evidence backed studies have been conducted, which predict they would. They're just giving people the facts as they see them. If people find it scary, then surely that's reason to think about what voting out actually means?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Treguard wrote:
Shinobi wrote:When something does not accord with what we WANT to hear, it must therefore be wrong, the remain campaign seem to be particularly precious.. Martin Lewis had 2 pages in the Daily Mirror today and he say an In vote also has a level of uncertainly same with out vote..
Everything has a level of uncertainty, but the balance of evidence comes down in favour of remaining rather than leaving. People keep going on about the 'scare tactics' of the remain campaign, about how they're saying things could be more expensive etc. if we leave the EU, that's because evidence backed studies have been conducted, which predict they would. They're just giving people the facts as they see them. If people find it scary, then surely that's reason to think about what voting out actually means?
By "evidence backed" you must surely mean "cherry picked". They're just giving people the "facts" as they choose to see them ... and spin them.

Just like you do. :wink:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 pm

The Beans wrote:
Treguard wrote:
By "evidence backed" you must surely mean "cherry picked". They're just giving people the "facts" as they choose to see them ... and spin them.

Just like you do. :wink:
Yeah, yeah everyone's got an agenda. But the leave campaign just doesn't have anything to say except 'rah rah money could be spent on the nhs instead'. Which is true, but as I've said they'll be busy spending it propping up the farmers who are about to go bust or covering the money they're taking off VAT to keep prices down. If these guys really cared about the NHS, They'd do something really useful, like cancelling HS2 or scrap pinging the insanely expensive deal for the new Hinckley Point power station. That'd save around £67 billion, and they could put some of it into other things like the Severn barrage project. Getting off topic but there are better ways to save money than scuttling the countries relationship with its biggest trading partners.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Treguard wrote:They'd do something really useful, like cancelling HS2 or scrap pinging the insanely expensive deal for the new Hinckley Point power station. That'd save around £67 billion, and they could put some of it into other things like the Severn barrage project. Getting off topic but there are better ways to save money than scuttling the countries relationship with its biggest trading partners.
I know it's not really on-topic but electricity demand is only ever increasing (even more so if electric cars take off as the corporations hope they do) and all we ever hear about are power stations being closed down. I think it's time some new ones were built before the grid comes under terrible strain - especially when they take so long to get up and running.

Even eco-friendly 'leccy doesn't get sorted sorted because of the inevitable uproar + petition/campaign whenever some wind turbines are proposed to be placed somewhere.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 pm

The accusations of fear mongering are fairly redundant, both sides are doing it, though it's only natural to point out the negative consequences in making your case, so either side saying the sky will fall doesn't sway me.
Treguard wrote:Yeah, yeah everyone's got an agenda. But the leave campaign just doesn't have anything to say except 'rah rah money could be spent on the nhs instead'.
Well there's a little more to it than that. It's not just that the UK could spend it's EU membership fee on itself, it's that the UK is one of the leading contributors and perhaps doesn't recieve the proportionate benefits. There's also immigration, and the social, ecomonic and cultural implications of that, and then there's the nature of the EU itself.

I actually wish though that the leave campaign actually made more of the principle of sovereignty, so far the debate has largely focused on economics, as though all that matters is how much money we'll have in our pockets, of course that's obviously something to consider and weigh up but I think there are other issues that can't simply be boiled down to numbers.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Gove and Boris promising to spend loads on the NHS makes me laugh and feel very uncomfortable in equal measure.

And Farage suggesting our womenfolk could be raped by Albanians unless we vote leave needs to be logged and remembered for when this is all over. Regardless of the outcome.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!