NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

STAY IN OR LEAVE THE EU?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:01 pm

STAY IN THE EU
46%
LEAVE THE EU
43%
NOT DECIDED
8%
DON'T CARE
3%

Total votes: 63

markopoloman

NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Ok so lets have another vote to see if anyone has changed their views.

Less than a month before we all go to the polling stations (unless you do postal votes like me - and I've already voted).

In / Out /Shake it all about..........

Runs for 20 days with a final Poll just before the real thing!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Re: NEW - EU in or out? June 23rd (with POLL)

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 30, 2016 8:04 pm

I voted LEAVE - gets the ball rolling. :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 30, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm still out, but I think we'll stay in.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 30, 2016 9:03 pm

I really don't know now. I was thinking of staying, as everything I heard was people saying we should stay as it is (big firms abroad who do business with us, banks, governments, etc), but I watched the Jeremy Paxman show from last week, and now I'm not so sure. I still don't know of the bad things leaving will do. That's what I'm worried about. I don't want our companies to all go bust just so we can say how bendy out cucumbers can be.

The amount of money they waste at the moment for this EU stuff is insane, which I don't like at all.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 pm

I've always been pro-Europe in principle, but I've yet to hear a decent argument on either side to convince me which way to vote. It's all mud slinging and scaremongering on both sides.

I guess that's what happens when both sides of the debate are headed up by odious politicians.

The whole referendum seems to be a big waste of time & money & I'm bored sick of hearing about it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:50 am

the_hawk wrote:I've always been pro-Europe in principle, but I've yet to hear a decent argument on either side to convince me which way to vote. It's all mud slinging and scaremongering on both sides.

I guess that's what happens when both sides of the debate are headed up by odious politicians.

The whole referendum seems to be a big waste of time & money & I'm bored sick of hearing about it.
So true. Its basically a bunch of politicians with, probably, ulterior motives (to position themselves to gain power from the fallout) by "sexing up the dossier" with wildly exaggerated claims.

I'm voting to remain, for personal reasons given the nationality of my partner and her family, and also for the reason that I think its best to be part of this community than out of it. If we do leave, I'm pretty sure the sky won't fall down that "remain" would have us believe, but I feel there could be a risk to the rest of the EU itself (by us deserting), and any turmoil caused with that would affect us greatly whether we are out or in, so its best to have the chance to reform it where we can from within, no matter how limited.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am

necronom wrote:I really don't know now. I was thinking of staying, as everything I heard was people saying we should stay as it is (big firms abroad who do business with us, banks, governments, etc), but I watched the Jeremy Paxman show from last week, and now I'm not so sure. I still don't know of the bad things leaving will do. That's what I'm worried about. I don't want our companies to all go bust just so we can say how bendy out cucumbers can be.

The amount of money they waste at the moment for this EU stuff is insane, which I don't like at all.
You just have to look at it logically. Say you and I are both members of an association, and I'm dealing with you on a daily basis, and we both pay into the association so we can deal freely without various taxes and duties. then I say, I don't want to pay any more, so you have to pay all of the costs, but I still want to deal with you on a daily basis. Why would you agree. You'll still want to deal on me, but it'll be on your terms, because you can still deal with every other member of the association and in the meantime I'm stuck with things i can't sell, and if that includes farm produce, I can't afford to wait it out. And that will go for every country we deal with. It's just good business sense.

Thing that gets me is this bullplop the Leave campaign is peddling about there being £350m left every week if we leave, which could build an extra hospital every week or some such Bo**ocks. Never mind the fact that if you give the government an extra £350m a week they'd spend it on some pointless vanity project like HS2 before any more spending on the NHS, I'm sure a vast proportion of that money would end up subsidizing the farmers who've lost 40% of their income, and end up with a war between farming associations and the supermarkets over prices they pay, and inevitably either farmers going bust or us paying much more in the supermarket. Plus the fact the cost of EU membership isn't anything near that when you take into account the rebate, etc. I think theres another thread where I worked it out to about £35 a year per person.

The leave campaign seems entirely based around this idea that the rest of the world will be so desperate to have our business that they'll bend over backwards to accommodate us. But why would they?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 31, 2016 12:22 pm

I've been swaying between both positions but I'm now firmly voting leave.

Perhaps if the remain campaign had saw fit to treat me like an adult and present me with facts, figures and a reasonable argument I'd still be on the fence. As it stands, the ridiculous scare stories have put me off for good.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 31, 2016 12:55 pm

Rayne wrote:I've been swaying between both positions but I'm now firmly voting leave.

Perhaps if the remain campaign had saw fit to treat me like an adult and present me with facts, figures and a reasonable argument I'd still be on the fence. As it stands, the ridiculous scare stories have put me off for good.
All the facts and figures from the IFS report are available on it's website here:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publicati ... s/r116.pdf

And the reasonable argument is we benefit more than being a member of the EU than this much vaunted 'we're free of regulations like statutory maternity pay and other such nuisances' . The leave campaign is mainly based on a fantasy that the world desperately needs us to continue turning and figures that don't add up.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 pm

I've been undecided up to the last week or so but have decided to vote leave. The scare stories put out by both sides are pretty shameful and ridiculous. So many vested interests behind the scare stories, my respect for 99% of politicians these days has never been lower.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Treguard wrote: All the facts and figures from the IFS report are available on it's website here:

I might have a look at that eventually, but I just opened it and the first word I saw was that childish, stupid made up word that stopped me reading ANY headline or article about leaving the EU, as I can't take anything seriously when using such unprofessional pathetic language.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 pm

necronom wrote:
Treguard wrote: All the facts and figures from the IFS report are available on it's website here:

I might have a look at that eventually, but I just opened it and the first word I saw was that childish, stupid made up word that stopped me reading ANY headline or article about leaving the EU, as I can't take anything seriously when using such unprofessional pathetic language.
You must hate all forms of journalism then...

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I can't believe how many of you are seriously considering voting to leave. If we left it would be the single most stupid thing we've ever done. Does our arrogance know no bounds?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 pm

pforson wrote:I can't believe how many of you are seriously considering voting to leave. If we left it would be the single most stupid thing we've ever done. Does our arrogance know no bounds?
:lol:

We're not "considering" it, we're actually going to do it. Loads of us. We're all going to vote to leave. I'm loving the fear in the Remain camp I really am. If our arrogance knows no bounds it's more than matched by the chickenshit fear of change running through the heart of everything the Remain camp comes up with. Stay, stay they cry! Stay and continue the dreary Borg-like assimilation into the EU overmind. We all float down here! We all flooooaaat! :lol:

Stuff that. We vote OUT and things get shaken up. For a while at least. I'm hoping it's going be frickin' wild. We'll sink or we'll swim. So be it. Anything's better than the downwardly spiralling dullness of now. Plus, I think it'll really censored the scot's off. Always a worthy endeavour.

:mrgreen:

In the end though, we'll stay in. Your EU-dependent jobs and easy travel to resorts overrun by migrants are safe. More's the pity. I think we should change the colour of our flag to yellow though. And stick a pair of castrated balls on it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:16 pm

The Beans wrote:
pforson wrote:I can't believe how many of you are seriously considering voting to leave. If we left it would be the single most stupid thing we've ever done. Does our arrogance know no bounds?
:lol:

We're not "considering" it, we're actually going to do it. Loads of us. We're all going to vote to leave. I'm loving the fear in the Remain camp I really am. If our arrogance knows no bounds it's more than matched by the chickenshit fear of change running through the heart of everything the Remain camp comes up with. Stay, stay they cry! Stay and continue the dreary Borg-like assimilation into the EU overmind. We all float down here! We all flooooaaat! :lol:

Stuff that. We vote OUT and things get shaken up. For a while at least. I'm hoping it's going be frickin' wild. We'll sink or we'll swim. So be it. Anything's better than the downwardly spiralling dullness of now. Plus, I think it'll really censored the scot's off. Always a worthy endeavour.

:mrgreen:

In the end though, we'll stay in. Your EU-dependent jobs and easy travel to resorts overrun by migrants are safe. More's the pity. I think we should change the colour of our flag to yellow though. And stick a pair of castrated balls on it.
What does the 'dullness of now' mean beans? In or out for most people depends on how it affects them personally. Either way probably doesn't affect me much personally from day to day. Hating the bull on both sides though. I'm in... just as feel positives outweigh negatives.