Bourbons Vs Custard Creams

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bourbons and Custard Creams...which is better?

Bourbons
32%
Custard Creams
53%
Cake
13%
I only eat Lettuce
3%

Total votes: 38

JazzFunk

Re: Bourbons Vs Custard Creams

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Oh, god. Oreos. Disgusting. I really don't know how they got so damn popular. In the US, they seem to have all these weird, limited edition flavours. Vile.

I think WrecklessEating did a few vids on different types of Oreos. I love food vids on YouTube. LA Beast in particular!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

dste

Post by dste » Sun May 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Custard Creams all the way, I can eat a whole pack no bother.

Bourbons on the other hand, unless I have a cup of milk to dip them in they are just too hard and dry for my liking.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Oreos...black biscuit it just wrong (in a completely non-racist way of course). As has been said, they taste of nothing and have somehow generated an enormous following. Bizarre.

How about BN biscuits with the smiley face? Somehow I think they taste worse since they were brought back but I used to love them first time around.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 22, 2016 11:35 pm

If you think the original Oreos are bad, you should see the "Strawberry" ones, and I'm using quotes because they don't actually list strawberries amongst the ingredients.

If all the evil gods of all mythologies got together under the expert tutelage of Nigella Lawson, I don't think they could come up with a biscuit so vile. They're even labelled as not suitable for vegetarians. Some have suggested that it might be because the colour uses cochineal, but I reckon it's probably the blood of sacrificed lambs. They are apparently Kosher though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Must admit that I was tempted by mint Oreos (with green filling) but thankfully they were in the imported American food section of Tesco and thus ludicrously expensive so I didn't buy them. Love mint-flavoured things though so will I resist if I see them on the cheap?

Those Strawberry ones sound like bad news indeed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 pm

Matt_B wrote:If you think the original Oreos are bad, you should see the "Strawberry" ones, and I'm using quotes because they don't actually list strawberries amongst the ingredients.

If all the evil gods of all mythologies got together under the expert tutelage of Nigella Lawson, I don't think they could come up with a biscuit so vile. They're even labelled as not suitable for vegetarians. Some have suggested that it might be because the colour uses cochineal, but I reckon it's probably the blood of sacrificed lambs. They are apparently Kosher though.
You know what? Many would label you as a crazy-ass Ickeian-type.

But, you know what, second time around? You're flabbergastingly correct!

Oreos really are Satanic, bum-ass, terrible biscuits. Even budget Rich Teas float my boat more than them at EVERY opportunity.

Oreos are sickening pig-biscuits. I'd only be eating them if I had some glorious munchie weed in my bong. And I'd probably be championing them, in that case.

I've just read all the above text. I sound VERY weird. But Oreos are the Devil's bumcack.;)

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:42 pm

I for one welcome our American Overlords and their strange Oreo biscuits! I love em - Original, Double Stuff, and Peanut.

AND YES I MAKE MILKSHAKES OUT OF THEM...

Handful of Original Oreos (just the right balance)
Couple of scoops of ice cream (vanilla or caramel)
300ml milk

Whiz them together in a blender, food processor or Nutri Bullet. Leave to chill in the fridge for a few hours (with occasional stirring).

And ENJOY!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:23 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Oh, god. Oreos. Disgusting. I really don't know how they got so damn popular. In the US, they seem to have all these weird, limited edition flavours. Vile.

I think WrecklessEating did a few vids on different types of Oreos. I love food vids on YouTube. LA Beast in particular!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
yea I find those channels entertaining. I think oreo's basically got to be so popular through clever marketing. I haven't tried the other flavours, but I had the "standard" one and it was pretty underwhelming, I was expected something that would blow my mind based on all the hype surrounding them.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 am

Custard Creams all the way of course!
Custard Creams versus a nice Bourbon though?... hmm... :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Since I last posted in this thread, I have sampled the 'joys' that were mint Oreos and peanut butter Oreos. Both were terrible, moreso the PB version which tasted of salty metal :| . Not recommended.

David

Post by David » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Don't like anything chocolate flavoured except actual chocolate.

Custard creams all the way

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:34 pm

Good quality custard creams all the way . What amazes me with Oreos is how much they charge in Tescos for the PB ones in the import aisle ,yet the same ones they sell round in the biscuit aisle at much less.
They're just not as good as proper biscuits. No amount of filling makes them better but I will dunk an original. Mint ones in tea is just wrong.

Ultimately prefer malted milks and any variant.

David

Post by David » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:51 pm

I have never even tasted an oreo as the colour just puts me right off them

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Custard creams are ridiculously moreish. If i knew the world was going to end tomorrow, I'd easily finish a packet of them, along with an entire battenburg cake as well.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 pm

David wrote:I have never even tasted an oreo as the colour just puts me right off them
No - don't try them. They're a bland food. Something of a triumph of advertising hype over quality product. I don't understand the fuss with them. People using them in milkshakes, cheesecakes and other desserts, etc. I think some people tend to buy into the whole "Americana" theme of it - they're just not good as biscuits go.