UK Sega Mega CD Mark 1 Issues, please help!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetrolixusMcD

UK Sega Mega CD Mark 1 Issues, please help!

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sat May 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Evening everybody

I am running a mega drive 1/mega cd 1/32x combo which is running fine apart from one issue...the internal memory on the mega cd. basically nothing was saving so I scanned online for answers hoping it would be as easy as the sega Saturn but it was not to be. I formatted the memory and it shows as having the blocks free until the console is powered down and then you have to format again.

looking at the instructions for the mega cd which I still have as its a lovely boxed version, it says once formatted to leave the unit powered on for 6 hours!! before using the memory again.

ok so I tried that, saved game settings using a game and powered down. on powering up it is still not showing as formatted!! however now there is a bigger problem. when I go to format the internal memory it makes a very negative sounding beep and states a message saying 'cannot format' so now I have no internal memory at all and it seems to be corrupted.

I cannot find any info about this online, I have no technical knowledge or tools to remove/solder etc....please can anybody help, anyone else had this problem? any websites known or companies who could repair? or decent DIY guides. as this has also made some of my games unplayable such as Sonic CD which needs a formatted memory before even loading, I have looked for the memory cartridges and they are either out of stock or only the Japanese ones on ebay which I believe are not compatible with the uk mega cd. if anybody wants pictures etc I will post

cheers

flatapex

Re: UK Sega Mega CD Mark 1 Issues, please help!

Post by flatapex » Sat May 07, 2016 5:17 pm

internal battery is fudged dude, its lasted 20 years so not that bad

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sat May 07, 2016 5:47 pm

yeah I thought as much, shame its not an easy fix like on the Saturn. is it really that hard to solder it etc though? you ever had to do one?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Can't help much but some video tutorials I have watched for the Model 2 show that you can modify the system to use AA batteries rather than the 'coin' style batteries. You can also use standard CR2016 batteries and not the self-recharging variants originally used in MCD's which are rare and expensive to buy.

Annoyingly, all the repair guides for anything MCD-related seems aimed at the Model 2. I found this when I had a dead fuse on my Model 1 (ended up selling it on ebay as faulty since I never used it anyway but that's another story). Does nobody repair Model 1's?!? They are easily 1,000,000 times sexier than the cheapo MCD2 :)

There was also some sort of third party cartridge released that allows for the playing of roms, cheats, back-ups etc. on the Mega CD. I think this allows you to save directly to the cart and bypass the onboard memory entirely though I'm not really 100% on that one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:56 am

Megamixer wrote:There was also some sort of third party cartridge released that allows for the playing of roms, cheats, back-ups etc. on the Mega CD. I think this allows you to save directly to the cart and bypass the onboard memory entirely though I'm not really 100% on that one.
Sounds unlikely - if you're talking about Mega Drive ROMs and cheat codes you could just get an Everdrive. As for backups, the Mega CD has no copy protection so they'll work anyway (as long as they're the right region).

And yeah, the Model 2 is uglier and creates a bigger footprint but they tend to be cheaper and there's far less to go wrong. Swings and roundabouts...

RetrolixusMcD

Post by RetrolixusMcD » Sun May 08, 2016 6:16 am

Megamixer wrote:Annoyingly, all the repair guides for anything MCD-related seems aimed at the Model 2. I found this when I had a dead fuse on my Model 1 (ended up selling it on ebay as faulty since I never used it anyway but that's another story). Does nobody repair Model 1's?!? They are easily 1,000,000 times sexier than the cheapo MCD2 :)
I know right, very annoying, as ive got the md1 it would look ridiculous with the mega cd 2, very frustrating. ive heard that about using aa batteries but ive got no tools etc. I might just have to keep a lookout for a new system but the problem is all of the batteries will be starting to get old and knackered now.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 am

RetrolixusMcD wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Annoyingly, all the repair guides for anything MCD-related seems aimed at the Model 2. I found this when I had a dead fuse on my Model 1 (ended up selling it on ebay as faulty since I never used it anyway but that's another story). Does nobody repair Model 1's?!? They are easily 1,000,000 times sexier than the cheapo MCD2 :)
I know right, very annoying, as ive got the md1 it would look ridiculous with the mega cd 2, very frustrating. ive heard that about using aa batteries but ive got no tools etc. I might just have to keep a lookout for a new system but the problem is all of the batteries will be starting to get old and knackered now.
The tools shouldn't be too much as the bargin shops do soldering irons and precision screwdrivers dirt cheap and if you plan to replace it you don't stand much to use.

I've not had a MCD to work on yet but at a guess it should be relitively easy, the battery should look like the one you'll see on a PC motherboard and may even be named on the PCB, you should be able to figure out the terminals from the batterys position if you want to run the wires for the AA mod.
Watching you sleep since 1990