LEICESTER...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sputryk
Posts: 2523
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Cobbydale

LEICESTER...

Post by Sputryk » Mon May 02, 2016 4:57 pm

...ARE PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by flatapex » Mon May 02, 2016 5:08 pm

this turns the game on its head.

at the start of the season leicester spent less than £30m, one of the lowest figures of anyone.

money does NOT buy success
Image

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon May 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Amazing, Its a shame for Spurs as any other season they would have one it, but so nice to see 2 different teams fighting for the title.

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:13 pm

flatapex wrote:this turns the game on its head.

at the start of the season leicester spent less than £30m, one of the lowest figures of anyone.

money does NOT buy success
it generally does, which is why Leicester winning the league is such a remarkable achievement and why it's quite possible we may not see the like again in our lifetimes (or at least for a very long time)

MadManDan79
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Essex

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:25 pm

They kept a good team ethic through the season where other teams kept going in and out of form.

There could be some even more remarkable achievements yet:

Burton getting promoted to the Championship as long as they don't lose to pretty much relegated Doncaster and Walsall beat Port Vale...

Braintree Town getting promoted into football league 2 (got to beat Grimsby Town first over 2 legs and win the final)...

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Utterly insane. Would recommend reading these links if the gravity of it hasn't opened up a black hole in your brain already:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comment ... ague_here/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35988673

flatapex
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by flatapex » Mon May 02, 2016 5:35 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
flatapex wrote:this turns the game on its head.

at the start of the season leicester spent less than £30m, one of the lowest figures of anyone.

money does NOT buy success
it generally does, which is why Leicester winning the league is such a remarkable achievement and why it's quite possible we may not see the like again in our lifetimes (or at least for a very long time)
It all depends what a particular team regards as success, a £20m transfer budget and expectations of winning the title would be unrealistic, but the team wouldn't expect it, they would probably be quite happy with avoiding the relegation battle. Every season has a handful of teams that have spent big and got nowhere, this season it was Villa, they spent something like £50m before the season started, Chelsea spent a fortune too, d'oh.
Image

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by gman72 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Fair play to them. I think it's good for the game. I don't think they'll do as well next season though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:59 pm

the thread is about Leicester winning the title, so that's what we are regarding as a success, had the thread been titled "Bournemouth stay up" then you may have had a point about "money does NOT buy success"

The Premier League title is normally won and contested by teams who spend fortunes, even the last time it was won by smaller team (Blackburn) it was on the back of Jack Walkers steel money.

Leicester won't win the league next season, they probably won't make the top four.

It will be Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, who contest the title, they will spend at least £500m between them and the PL will unfortunately go back to "normal"

This season was a complete one off and undoubtedly one of the greatest sporting achievements of modern times.

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by Negative Creep » Mon May 02, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm not sure what's more unbelievable - Leicester winning the league or Spurs ending that game with 11 men
Image

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5511
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 02, 2016 6:25 pm

flatapex wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
flatapex wrote:this turns the game on its head.

at the start of the season leicester spent less than £30m, one of the lowest figures of anyone.

money does NOT buy success
it generally does, which is why Leicester winning the league is such a remarkable achievement and why it's quite possible we may not see the like again in our lifetimes (or at least for a very long time)
It all depends what a particular team regards as success, a £20m transfer budget and expectations of winning the title would be unrealistic, but the team wouldn't expect it, they would probably be quite happy with avoiding the relegation battle. Every season has a handful of teams that have spent big and got nowhere, this season it was Villa, they spent something like £50m before the season started, Chelsea spent a fortune too, d'oh.
Yeah, Villa should remember that the last time they won the title in 1981 they did it with just 14 players of which only one (Peter Withe for £500,000) was a new signing. :D

I don't think Leicester's achievement this year quite matches that, but it's probably about as close as you're going to get in the game as it now stands.

User avatar
David
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 am

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by David » Mon May 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Let's not forget the joyous news of Dundee utd getting relegated tonight too

If carlsberg done Mondays :)

User avatar
stvd
Posts: 5137
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by stvd » Tue May 03, 2016 1:42 am

David wrote:Let's not forget the joyous news of Dundee utd getting relegated tonight too

If carlsberg done Mondays :)
A Dundee fan?!?! :shock:
Image

psj3809
Posts: 19013
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:06 am

^didnt realise they still play football up there !

Anyway Leicester. Amazing. I doubt they'll do that well next year but can't see them going down. If they spend their money wisely which in recent form they will, they'll be fine

As for next year who knows. As this year shows anything can happen. Used to work in Nuneaton and knew a lot of Leicester fans there. Happy as hell for them

User avatar
silvergunner
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: LEICESTER...

Post by silvergunner » Tue May 03, 2016 3:26 am

Negative Creep wrote:I'm not sure what's more unbelievable - Leicester winning the league or Spurs ending that game with 11 men
Saw the highlights and thought wow this reminds me of the World Cup final with Germany v Argentina :lol:

Some right dirty tackles and eye gouges going in.
Last edited by silvergunner on Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest