Pyra ( Open-Pandora successor ) ready for pre orders

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Stainy

Pyra ( Open-Pandora successor ) ready for pre orders

Post by Stainy » Sun May 01, 2016 1:22 am

Pre orders have started for the Pyra

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

Four versions available, both 2GB and 4GB, EU/US GSM/LTE GPS optional.

Everything is at the link, lots of info.

The ultimate Amiga ( and pretty much everything else ) emulator machine.
Not to mention full Debian on the go!

DPrinny

Re: Pyra ( Open-Pandora successor ) ready for pre orders

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 am

Over £250, know its a powerhouse, but bloody hell,
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sun May 01, 2016 2:08 pm

DPrinny wrote:Over £250, know its a powerhouse, but bloody hell,

They have done the best they can!! This isn`t a huge company... They are working with 2000 part orders etc... Small quantity parts and assembly is much more expensive that what other HUGE companies would be able to do with million part orders etc..

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:48 pm

I know I see this all the time. They're a tiny indie company. They can't bulk order 1000s units so the price is cheap etc. I hope they do well. Now that Craig Rothwells out of the picture I hope this is a success

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 pm

£250 isn't far short of a high spec Android tablet, so not totally unreasonable. Look at the nVidia Shield range, it's on a par with the high end of those, yet this thing is more capable as a general purpose machine you can run real games on. A luxury item for sure, not really mass market, but it'll sell well enough. I'd like one, but its hard to justify personally.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 02, 2016 3:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:£250 isn't far short of a high spec Android tablet, so not totally unreasonable. Look at the nVidia Shield range, it's on a par with the high end of those, yet this thing is more capable as a general purpose machine you can run real games on. A luxury item for sure, not really mass market, but it'll sell well enough. I'd like one, but its hard to justify personally.
I don't know if it comes off too wall in comparison with the Shield K1 in terms of price and spec. That costs £149 without the controller and has a 2.2GHz quad core CPU, a 192 core GPU and can play games like War Thunder, Doom III and Half Life II natively as well as streaming most PC games.

That said, I'd think that the modular construction, built in keyboard and ability to run a full desktop Linux will give the Pyra enough of a niche. In terms of machines that can do that it's pretty much in a class of its own right now. Let's hope it doesn't suffer from the protracted development issues that the Pandora had.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon May 02, 2016 2:39 pm

To be fair I'd rather have a GPD Win. Windows 10 handheld with physical controls.

obscurehandhelds.com/2016/02/gpd-are-back-with-something-a-little-different/

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Now that Craig Rothwells out of the picture I hope this is a success
I second that !!!!
Good luck to EvilDragon the rest of the crew
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue May 03, 2016 1:00 pm

I absolutely love my Pandora. Fantastic build quality and very helpful and responsive customer service even though I got mine second hand on ebay. It had a dodgy touch screen, which was fixed at no cost except the shipping out. Best gaming item I've ever bought. I'd love a Pyra, but don't have the cash. If the waiting list for the Pandora's anything to go by too, be a while before they arrive...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 pm

How do these compare with the Android based gaming systems? Are the emulators superior to those running on Android?

Having a keyboard on is probably the first immediate difference I noticed, which would be useful.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:How do these compare with the Android based gaming systems? Are the emulators superior to those running on Android?

Having a keyboard on is probably the first immediate difference I noticed, which would be useful.
I don't know, and I don't care.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:How do these compare with the Android based gaming systems? Are the emulators superior to those running on Android?

It's running a proper Linux, so I'd expect them to be pretty well developed by now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

It's running a proper Linux, so I'd expect them to be pretty well developed by now.
Yeah, you could run almost all the same emulators you'd be able to run on a Linux PC with it, the exceptions being those that really need a fast x86 processor such as modern versions of MAME, Dolphin and PCSX2. Also, since most of the best open source emulators started out as desktop Linux projects, while the Android ones are usually ports, they tend to be better developed too.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks Matt and Ant - good to know that these emulators have had plenty of updates and work being done on them. The ports to Android are mostly pretty competent, due to the fact every man and his dog own an Android device, but sounds like the ones on this could be even better. For the most accurate Amiga emulation, surely an x86 processor would have been the best option, but i guess they're much more expensive and quite power consuming compared to ARM?!

And errr....thanks Treguard. Very sage advice! :mrgreen:

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Tue May 10, 2016 12:51 am