BHS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: BHS

Post by flatapex » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:29 pm

BHS has always been a bit.....old people. It was a bit like a slightly more expensive littlewoods, when it came to smart-ish men's stuff that I would buy for my dad then places like debenhams, next etc were a bit more modern, even m and s had its ok moments. when the average towns have maybe 4 or 5 stores that are preferable for the target demographic to go to, its not going to go well. Its the sort of place my dad would look for clothes if my mum or me weren't guiding him.

I also didn't know Austin Reed were still going, or what they sold or who to? I doubt manchester had a store, one of the biggest cities should be a flagship store
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14967
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: BHS

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am

flatapex wrote:I also didn't know Austin Reed were still going, or what they sold or who to? I doubt manchester had a store, one of the biggest cities should be a flagship store
Tailored suits and the like apparently.

Maybe people buy all that sort of stuff elsewhere i.e. supermarkets or general clothes stores these days. Obviously there will be the mega high-end suit outlets but if you're in the middle somewhere then it's probably not a good place to be these days.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.


User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3237
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: BHS

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Ah yes, Austin Reed that contemporary brand than is everyone's first destination for menswear.

No wonder they are on their arse.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: BHS

Post by flatapex » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:57 pm

thats off st annes square, in that area there are loads of better places for suits, including house of fraser and a few places on king street.
Image

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: BHS

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 am

flatapex wrote:thats off st annes square, in that area there are loads of better places for suits, including house of fraser and a few places on king street.
I don't know Manchester at all... but I think you've just answered why they're going bust and what their problems are that they just never worked out :lol:

I have no real sympathy whatsoever with places like BHS, C&A, Dixons, Tandy, Woolworths etc going bust. I won't/don't miss them to be honest. There are a few others still around (somehow!) that could do with disappearing, too.
There's no room for sentiment in business like that, and whilst everything else costs more and more, if they only sell stuff that's overpriced or unnecessary to stock on a high street, then it's bye bye.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: BHS

Post by The Beans » Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

thingonaspring wrote: I have no real sympathy whatsoever with places like BHS, C&A, Dixons, Tandy, Woolworths etc going bust. I won't/don't miss them to be honest. There are a few others still around (somehow!) that could do with disappearing, too.
There's no room for sentiment in business like that, and whilst everything else costs more and more, if they only sell stuff that's overpriced or unnecessary to stock on a high street, then it's bye bye.
I won't miss them either. I do think there's something going wrong with our high streets though. I remember just the other day when I went into town to meet the wife. I was standing in the queue in Greggs and I glanced out the window and saw my mrs waving at me from the other Greggs across the way. We both abandoned our respective queues and met in the middle of the street then made our way down past Poundland, Poundsaver, Poundshop, Poundstretcher and Poundbuster and into the other Greggs on the corner where we got some doughnuts. As we left I remember thinking the old high street wasn't quite the same but I just couldn't put my finger on the reason why. Luckily, by that time we were passing another Greggs and the smell of cheap sossie rolls banished my brief gloom.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

MadManDan79
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Essex

Re: BHS

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Apparently Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley is taking over. Will he run it better than Newcastle United?

pratty
Posts: 5506
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: BHS

Post by pratty » Wed May 04, 2016 3:30 pm

The Beans wrote:I won't miss them either. I do think there's something going wrong with our high streets though. I remember just the other day when I went into town to meet the wife. I was standing in the queue in Greggs and I glanced out the window and saw my mrs waving at me from the other Greggs across the way. We both abandoned our respective queues and met in the middle of the street then made our way down past Poundland, Poundsaver, Poundshop, Poundstretcher and Poundbuster and into the other Greggs on the corner where we got some doughnuts. As we left I remember thinking the old high street wasn't quite the same but I just couldn't put my finger on the reason why. Luckily, by that time we were passing another Greggs and the smell of cheap sossie rolls banished my brief gloom.
:lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3237
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: BHS

Post by RetroBob » Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 pm

The Beans wrote:
thingonaspring wrote: I have no real sympathy whatsoever with places like BHS, C&A, Dixons, Tandy, Woolworths etc going bust. I won't/don't miss them to be honest. There are a few others still around (somehow!) that could do with disappearing, too.
There's no room for sentiment in business like that, and whilst everything else costs more and more, if they only sell stuff that's overpriced or unnecessary to stock on a high street, then it's bye bye.
I won't miss them either. I do think there's something going wrong with our high streets though. I remember just the other day when I went into town to meet the wife. I was standing in the queue in Greggs and I glanced out the window and saw my mrs waving at me from the other Greggs across the way. We both abandoned our respective queues and met in the middle of the street then made our way down past Poundland, Poundsaver, Poundshop, Poundstretcher and Poundbuster and into the other Greggs on the corner where we got some doughnuts. As we left I remember thinking the old high street wasn't quite the same but I just couldn't put my finger on the reason why. Luckily, by that time we were passing another Greggs and the smell of cheap sossie rolls banished my brief gloom.
Yeah, first it was supermakets, now online... consumers voted with their wallets.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

HEAVYface
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 am

Re: BHS

Post by HEAVYface » Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 pm

woolworths was always the oddest shop on the high street, now replaced by the equally odd, but sh!ttier b&m+wilko+ (the not so bad) the range. people obviously want to shop in store in that vein - I just don't get it. shelves full of utter cack. the only reason I rate the range is that it sells decent quality artists materials (Windsor and newton, daler rowney etc.), since our local art store closed down it's the only place I can pick up decent paper/pens/paint.

also Asda are getting in on the woolworths act - theres an Asda in Coventry that is exactly like woolworths used to be - it doesn't sell groceries just random stuff and kids clothes.

I think super drug or boots will be the next one to go down.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14967
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: BHS

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 pm

High streets now are just places to go for essentials. e.g banks, chemists etc. The one here is just:

Banks
Chemists
Cafes (loads of them)
Card shops
Discount shoe shops
Approx 3 x cash generator/converter type stores
Opticians
Dentists
Phone shops

The indoor shopping centre has retained a few stalwarts such as Argos and Boots but there are too many of those tacky clothes and sh*tty furniture shops that disappear within a few months because the rent on the units is way too high versus the type of stock they are trying to flog.

I did actually used to like Woolworths as you could usually get most things there and get 80-90% of your town shopping done in the one place. B&M's and Home Bargains are much cheaper and nastier versions but the stuff is so cheap that I wonder how they make any money on it at all. You can get like 3-4 bottles of 500ml Pepsi for a £1 for example when the RRP for a single bottle is around that mark anywhere else. Madness but of the good type.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: BHS

Post by The Beans » Wed May 04, 2016 6:13 pm

HEAVYface wrote:woolworths was always the oddest shop on the high street,
I've always thought the oddest shop on the high street was the various types of Army/Navy Surplus sort of stores. Catering nicely for the man who needs a steady supply of camouflage pants, sleeping bags and swiss army knives.

Oddest shop just off the high street was the trophy shop. Nip in, buy a trophy, get your shoe fixed, get a spare key cut, fit a new battery in your watch and might as well get a Mahjong set too while you're in there, why not?
Now that's one multi-tasking shop. Proof that diversity can't save your business in the face of the online shopping juggernaut.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4591
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: BHS

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 am

HEAVYface wrote:
I think super drug or boots will be the next one to go down.
I hope not with regards to Super Drug. They seem like a good chain, affordable, and don't test their own products on animals.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14967
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: BHS

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 05, 2016 12:53 pm

Can't see Boots tanking tbh as they are always rammed with customers and a lot of the stuff they sell isn't the kind of stuff you'd go and buy online (toiletries, razor blades, beauty products etc.). Superdrug...maybe...

Should we have a forum sweepstakes for the next retail catastrophe?!?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests