The Human Eye

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

The Human Eye

Post by RetroRik » Fri May 11, 2007 9:04 am

I was sitting thinking about HD TVs last night and had one of those moments that i normally get when intoxicated...

What is the resolution of the human eye and how many frames per second do we see at.?

I know it is down to the number of light receptors at the back of the eye but if i had twice as many of these as you then would i have much sharper vision and infact be a more expensive model. :lol:

Could camera technology go beyond what we can actually see in Mega pixels and therefore be just silly at this point...

Regards

RIK

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 11, 2007 9:43 am

From what I can find, the human eye can see at upto 17,000 dpi and is over 500 megapixels.

I don't think we see in FPS, as it's a continuous stream of light. There is also an after image (a bit like an LCD screen). I remember about 25 years ago me and some friends discovered that if you are in a very dark room and get used to the dark for 5 minutes, then flash a camera flash into the room (you have to focus on a particular spot without moving your eyes), the image that flashed up will stay as a negative in your vision for about 10 seconds (or until you move your eyes, or blink). That kept us amused for a while :lol:

I don't think we can tell the difference on a screen after it is above something like 85-90 Hz.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri May 11, 2007 10:06 am

I think I read somewhere ages ago the average human eye can tell the difference up to about 72fps. Personally, I can tell up to about 80 I'd say. Fighter pilots and whatnot are apparently further up the scale.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri May 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Sureshot wrote:I think I read somewhere ages ago the average human eye can tell the difference up to about 72fps. Personally, I can tell up to about 80 I'd say. Fighter pilots and whatnot are apparently further up the scale.
The whole human eye framerate thing is a myth. Your eyes don't have a framerate. You're right, some people are better at detecting flicker than others.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 11, 2007 1:14 pm

I think 100Hz is generally considered rock steady and flicker free to the human eye. The brain also has a lot to do with it as it's particularly adept at taking in a set of images and filling in the blanks to create the illusion of movement.
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri May 11, 2007 1:46 pm

Mozart wrote:I think 100Hz is generally considered rock steady and flicker free to the human eye. The brain also has a lot to do with it as it's particularly adept at taking in a set of images and filling in the blanks to create the illusion of movement.
:shock: So the human eye can also Morph images and upscale.. :lol:

Just plug a Standard Def DVD player into me now.....!!!

Regards

RIK

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 11, 2007 2:12 pm

RetroRik wrote:
Mozart wrote:I think 100Hz is generally considered rock steady and flicker free to the human eye. The brain also has a lot to do with it as it's particularly adept at taking in a set of images and filling in the blanks to create the illusion of movement.
:shock: So the human eye can also Morph images and upscale.. :lol:

Just plug a Standard Def DVD player into me now.....!!!

Regards

RIK
It's a shame it's a telephoto lens though - what I wouldn't give for bionic zoom eyes :)
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Fri May 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Just to be nerdy... this has some info:

http://www.coolnurse.com/eye_facts.htm
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Guys, for those of you that have Perfect vision, count yourself very lucky!

I have always been short sighted, and recently went for an eye test.

I have been told that I have a "turn" in my left eye, which means that my eyes don't co-operate together!

Obviously they don't get on very well with each other :cry:

This now means that :

I CANNOT ever have corrective Laser Surgery on them

Have to wear glasses with Prisms in them

And, if they glasses don't help correct them, means I may have to have an injection of Botox in my eye :shock: Botox!!! WTF!

Just this evening I was stood in a shelter, and some guy across the road asked me if I had been out for a pint - and I have NO idea who he was, as I couldnt make him out properly.

It's also EXTREMELY Dangerous when on the pull, as I have difficulty spotting Mingers. Until they within about 6ft of me. Which then leads to really embarrasing conversations as I try to escape them :shock:

I already have issues with injections/needles as I simply cant stand them. And when I can just about comprehend having one in flesh, I'm then told I need one in my gum (when I went to dentist) and now my Eye!

What did I do so wrong in a previous life :?:

Never take your perfect vision for granted, I beg you all!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:20 pm

I have Glasses with Prism lenses, but I never wear them as they just irritate me afera while
Watching you sleep since 1990

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 pm

I wear glasses too, and have so ever since I was 4. What annoys me about opticians is that they tell us that glasses are the solution, when really they're nothing more than a crutch for the eyes, and might actually worsen the situation (my eyes have been getting worse year after year!).

Now I'm lucky as I've never had an eye disease and don't have problems with my retina, so my vision is affected by the lens, the pressure in my eyes or the muscles controlling the lenses. But instead of investigating any of this, every optician I've ever been to has simply prescribed a set of lenses which alter the focus of the light hitting the back of my eye.

Given that Isaac Newton, 400 years ago, had optics pretty well summed up, this strikes me as not nearly as good enough.
EvilArmourKing wrote:It's also EXTREMELY Dangerous when on the pull, as I have difficulty spotting Mingers. Until they within about 6ft of me. Which then leads to really embarrasing conversations as I try to escape them
I used to have this problem in my younger days too, but I mostly put it down to the mind altering effects of alcohol (and too much of it!) :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat May 12, 2007 4:10 am

necronom wrote:I don't think we can tell the difference on a screen after it is above something like 85-90 Hz.
That's why we are advised to use a high refresh rate on CRT monitors - I find I can't tell the difference after about 80Hz (ish)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat May 12, 2007 5:34 am

I heard that if you look away from your monitor so you can still see it in your peripheral vision and can see it flickering, you need to increase the refresh rate. I don't think many people these days have low rates anyway. I have mine on 85 and it's fine.