school reunions

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

school reunions

Post by flatapex » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Inspired by the education topic which coincided with a conversation at work, next year will be 20 years since i left high school and 25 since i left primary school. I started thinking about the inevitable reunion that would take place......

If you were invited to one, would you go? have you been to one? I was invited sometime in the early 2000s when friends reunited was at its peak, made excuses because my head wasn't in the right place, would consider going these days but would be nervous.

felgekarp

Re: school reunions

Post by felgekarp » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Went to one about ten years ago, chatted to some people I'd not seen since school, had a few laughs, it was a pretty enjoyable night really.
Splink!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Arranged on at my pub 2 weeks ago! Was a right laugh... also it is amazing how peoples looks change so much in 29 years :shock: Half the people I would not have recognised in a million years.
It was also good to know I look quite young in comparrison :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:57 pm

No. I rarely think about the people and don't miss them. Didn't exactly have the very worst of possible experiences (i.e. extreme bullying etc.) in secondary school but it certainly wasn't enjoyable at all so I have zero interest in seeing the faces I'd associate with those years.

A primary school one would be something I'd consider because that was the complete opposite in that I enjoyed it and got on with everybody.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:43 am

I've been to one formally organised event. There are people who I've not stayed in touch with since school and it is good to see them and reminisce a bit. It's funny how much people don't change... still laugh at the same jokes, talk about the same stupid stuff.

I would recommend going yes you will be nervous, but that is normal - you can bet that 90% of the others are thinking exactly the same.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:02 am

Probably not, I'm still in touch with the people I want to be from high school.

I'd be more interested in going to a primary school reunion but as I went to primary school in Aberdeen and now live in Merseyside it may be too impractical to bother with. I'm also not on social media where this type of thing would probably be organised.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:15 am

Not in a million years, I'd rather do something less likely I'd regret like trying to use a toaster in the bath.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:34 am

Primary school possibly, secondary school no chance. Have no desire to catch up with those who bullied and tormented me for years

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Not in a million years, I'd rather do something less likely I'd regret like trying to use a toaster in the bath.
that was my attitude when i was invited last time :lol: I would have only gone if Lord Lucan had given me a lift

If it was primary school I would probably still have that attitude, my ex was in my class at primary school and that doesn't need revisiting, I would need assurances she, or her best friend from the time wouldn't be there, they are the only two people I have seen since and I don't have a nice thing to say to either of them.

In high school I was bullied relentlessly, only upside is most of them were expelled for other things, there are 2 people I wouldn't want to see, one is in contact with loads of people and lives locally and the other I think is only in touch with one person.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 am

What struck me most about my school reunion was the way everybody seemed obsessed with what job they had now and the jobs they'd had in the past. When they weren't talking about that they were talking about who had died or who was in prison.

Also, I was amazed at how small my school was. It seemed massive when I was a kid.

And the two girls I really fancied when I was fifteen had become outright mingers by the time they were 40. Like, King Kong mingers. But "smelly nelly" Thompson, who once sent me a valentine card that nearly assassinated my entire social life, had become an absolute stunner!
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:50 am

Couldnt stand secondary school so not really inclined to catch up with ex schoolmates as they are in 1 of 3 groups:

1. Working.
2. With families
3. In prison...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:23 am

MadManDan79 wrote:Couldnt stand secondary school so not really inclined to catch up with ex schoolmates as they are in 1 of 3 groups:

1. Working.
2. With families
3. In prison...
4. Doley Jeremy Kile types
5. Dead
6. Homeless
7. Me

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:49 am

Would never go to one, I can barely remember much of high school at all. If I did though I'd have to convince everyone I was a...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 am

I do actually see a few of the people that know me from my short time in high school sometimes
Ones a bar maid of a local larger pub that I dont go in due to having taste buds and not caring about "That game last night"

merman

Post by merman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:19 pm

25 years since I left secondary school, so the reunion is due this year. Tried to get people organised but seems to have ended up as a night out in Cambridge rather than anything more.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube