Re: Your education.

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Shinobi wrote: Is that Papa Shango riding that Panda in your avatar D
Being followed by The boogyman riding a monkey

No I do not know the story behind it

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:58 am

I went to a pretty average secondary school, enjoyed it and got 9 GCSE passes, so stayed for 6th form where my results were decidedly less impressive (by then my main interests were playing basketball and drinking with mates, although not at the same time). After 6th form I did the Camp America program and had the best summer of my life in Long Island. It was there that I found out my A-Level results were a little bit turd, but I managed to get into an average uni (ex-polytechnic) through clearing. Studied geography because why not? Didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, but wanted to have a laugh at uni. I did that, and escaped with a 2:2. Still didn't know what I wanted to do, but made a few decent mates on the way. Joined the military and have been there ever since, in the IT and comms world. Pretty bored of it now, so looking to leave at my 12 year point, which gives me just enough time to utilise the subsidised education and get a cheap foundation degree in leadership and management, which I've been studying for the last year. Luckily, due to the nature of my job I'm able to study during work time too (have so far done none of this distance learning in my own time). I'm hoping it helps bolster my years of military experience when it comes to interview time. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up though!

In hindsight I wish I'd taken more time to find a uni subject that interested me more than geography. For a while I kind of regretted never using the qualification for anything, but luckily I got injured in Afghanistan and the compensation paid off my student loan, so it didn't bother me so much anymore!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:22 am

Do we have anyone on here who went to either the of the illustrious universities that are Cambridge and Oxford?

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:48 am

Went to a few rubbish schools in South London. Left with 7 GCSEs. Should have been more but my teachers were terrible.

Went to six form college. Did three A-Levels. Badly. I wasn't into it. I got into being in a band, drinking and got a girlfriend.

Straight into work after that. Ten years on that tip before quitting it all to go to uni to get a degree in IT. Literally the least helpful course ever but I got through it and graduated aged 31. Since then I've passed a bunch of professional project management courses thanks to my employer over the last ten years and I'm starting a new job tomorrow. Eek!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:03 am

i dont know the diffrence between comprehencsive and grammer schools but i went to a goverment funded public school has exam info forced down my neck(expect in performing arts where learned things that broaded the mind and where alowwed 100% creativeness) though to be fair we had some good maths and english teachers but my passion for literiture and numerics was something i got from home not school i think mabie my passion for film, dramatics and music was broadend in school though.
This guy are sick

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:56 am

stayAwhile wrote:i dont know the diffrence between comprehencsive and grammer schools but i went to a goverment funded public school has exam info forced down my neck(expect in performing arts where learned things that broaded the mind and where alowwed 100% creativeness) though to be fair we had some good maths and english teachers but my passion for literiture and numerics was something i got from home not school i think mabie my passion for film, dramatics and music was broadend in school though.
The good english teachers obviously did a top job.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 am

The Beans wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:i dont know the diffrence between comprehencsive and grammer schools but i went to a goverment funded public school has exam info forced down my neck(expect in performing arts where learned things that broaded the mind and where alowwed 100% creativeness) though to be fair we had some good maths and english teachers but my passion for literiture and numerics was something i got from home not school i think mabie my passion for film, dramatics and music was broadend in school though.
The good english teachers obviously did a top job.
i do suffer from dyslexia so I'll be the first to admit grammer and spelling are not a strong point for me also in my class we never did language jsut litriture so grammer was never covered and if you didn't know a spelling you where told "look it up in the dictionary" we did grammer at primary school but that was a long time ago. also I have dyspraxia so i need to take my time typing other wise mistakes go un-noticed.

but i did manage to get a grade C pass on my langauge paper which covered a series of short litriture stories and shakespear so they can't of been so bad can they beans :mrgreen:
This guy are sick

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:14 am

Grammar schools are government funded academically selected schools. They very much mirror a private school in their atmosphere and the sort of subjects they teach(e.g. Latin and other classical languages, etc.). They are pretty rare nowadays, except in certain counties which have kept them(like Kent, Buckinghamshire and Yorkshire). To usually get into them, you have to take an exam called the 11+(or Kent Test - as it was known where I used to live). If you passed the test, then you usually ended up in the local grammar school - unless they were full in their places - then you probably had to look at going to the secondary modern or try another nearby grammar school.

Anyway, back to my other question, where's the Oxbridge set then? You telling me they're not Retrogamers? :roll:

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:19 am

Katzkatz wrote:

Grammar schools are government funded academically selected schools. They very much mirror a private school in their atmosphere and the sort of subjects they teach(e.g. Latin and other classical languages, etc.). They are pretty rare nowadays, except in certain counties which have kept them(like Kent, Buckinghamshire and Yorkshire). To usually get into them, you have to take an exam called the 11+(or Kent Test - as it was known where I used to live). If you passed the test, then you usually ended up in the local grammar school - unless they were full in their places - then you probably had to look at going to the secondary modern or try another nearby grammar school.

Anyway, back to my other question, where's the Oxbridge set then? You telling me they're not Retrogamers? :roll:
I'm guessing the Oxbridge crowd mostly play 32x and mega cd along with a bit of apple mac
This guy are sick

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:45 am

stayAwhile wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:

I'm guessing the Oxbridge crowd mostly play 32x and mega cd along with a bit of apple mac
Hmmm, you think so? I suppose so - as Douglas Adams and Stephen Fry were both attended Cambridge and were avid Apple Mac users.

Anyone here, from outside the UK? I'd like to hear about your educational experiences.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 am

I'd like to hear more about sephs education. Did he really get bummed at an all boys boarding school?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:27 am

stayAwhile wrote:
i do suffer from dyslexia so I'll be the first to admit grammer and spelling are not a strong point for me also in my class we never did language jsut litriture so grammer was never covered and if you didn't know a spelling you where told "look it up in the dictionary" we did grammer at primary school but that was a long time ago. also I have dyspraxia so i need to take my time typing other wise mistakes go un-noticed.

but i did manage to get a grade C pass on my langauge paper which covered a series of short litriture stories and shakespear so they can't of been so bad can they beans :mrgreen:
I come from an era that taught it all, which is why "could of" and "would of" get right on my nerves. Nearly as much as "your going to get .." does. Not that it matters all that much on a forum.
I don't know what english teachers actually teach these days. I feel the ability to read, comprehend, write and spell might just be slightly more useful in the long run than an appreciation of Shakespeare.
Luckily, the english language is incredibly robust and despite your twin disabilities communication is effectively achieved. By the sound of it this is mostly down to your efforts rather than those of your good english teachers. Who actually sound alarmingly sh!t if we're being honest.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:06 am

The Beans wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:

I come from an era that taught it all, which is why "could of" and "would of" get right on my nerves. Nearly as much as "your going to get .." does. Not that it matters all that much on a forum.
I don't know what english teachers actually teach these days. I feel the ability to read, comprehend, write and spell might just be slightly more useful in the long run than an appreciation of Shakespeare.
Luckily, the english language is incredibly robust and despite your twin disabilities communication is effectively achieved. By the sound of it this is mostly down to your efforts rather than those of your good english teachers. Who actually sound alarmingly sh!t if we're being honest.
yes I get your point they teach what they are told to teach not what they need to teach see even though I some times struggle with spelling or grammer it does annoy me to here incorrect english. the worst for me is what people call "mash ups" which are just stupid made up words such as jeggings or even worse is worst like totes, yes my era had slang but we still speak proper english when speaking to those around us and have infact grew out of using words such as trabs or init.
This guy are sick

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:20 pm

aztecca wrote:I'd like to hear more about sephs education. Did he really get bummed at an all boys boarding school?
You probably want video evidence as well, ya deviant!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
aztecca wrote:I'd like to hear more about sephs education. Did he really get bummed at an all boys boarding school?
You probably want video evidence as well, ya deviant!
Why do you have some then? :shock:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: