Re: Your education.

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 am

aztecca wrote:
Why do you have some then? :shock:
You seem far too invested in this! I'm flattered by your interest :P

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:50 am

stayAwhile wrote:I'm guessing the Oxbridge crowd mostly play 32x and mega cd along with a bit of apple mac
I'm not sure about Oxford, but Cambridge was definitely Acorn and Sinclair's turf during the 80s, so it'd be BBC Micro and Spectrum all the way.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
aztecca wrote:
Why do you have some then? :shock:
You seem far too invested in this! I'm flattered by your interest :P
Hell yeah I wanna see you squealing like a pig :twisted:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 am

Katzkatz wrote:Anyone here, from outside the UK? I'd like to hear about your educational experiences.
I should have probably mentioned, I was educated in South Africa. First at a Marist brothers catholic school and then at KES.

Reading through this thread, I guess I was kind of lucky. KES is actually a fantastic school. It did a remarkable job instilling a set of ethics in me that I still follow to this day. All that school spirit nonsense also gave me a healthy scepticism, especially of systems that require your unconditional loyalty. Enforced cheering, ugh.

The school grounds were amazing - there was a lovely old pool, a cricket pavilion, a tuck shop, a library and an armoury (with guns in it, I censored you not). There's even a cenotaph dedicated to the boys they lost in the wars. And they have a military parade every year on armistice day to remember the fallen. Complete with a pipe band (that I was in, as a drummer I hasten to add).

It was maybe a little too heavily sports focussed though. The rugby team is probably the most important thing. Which kind of sucks if you aren't sporty. I wasn't.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:02 am

theantmeister wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Anyone here, from outside the UK? I'd like to hear about your educational experiences.
I should have probably mentioned, I was educated in South Africa. First at a Marist brothers catholic school and then at KES.

Reading through this thread, I guess I was kind of lucky. KES is actually a fantastic school. It did a remarkable job instilling a set of ethics in me that I still follow to this day. All that school spirit nonsense also gave me a healthy scepticism, especially of systems that require your unconditional loyalty. Enforced cheering, ugh.

The school grounds were amazing - there was a lovely old pool, a cricket pavilion, a tuck shop, a library and an armoury (with guns in it, I censored you not). There's even a cenotaph dedicated to the boys they lost in the wars. And they have a military parade every year on armistice day to remember the fallen. Complete with a pipe band (that I was in, as a drummer I hasten to add).

It was maybe a little too heavily sports focussed though. The rugby team is probably the most important thing. Which kind of sucks if you aren't sporty. I wasn't.
Wow. That's very interesting to hear. Your old secondary school does look very similar to a British Grammar school. I did hear that a lot of former British colonies still use the O Level, instead of the GCSE. Did you have to take O Levels?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:26 am

Katzkatz wrote:Wow. That's very interesting to hear. Your old secondary school does look very similar to a British Grammar school. I did hear that a lot of former British colonies still use the O Level, instead of the GCSE. Did you have to take O Levels?
I guess it was kind of similar to O levels? At least, that's what I'm told. At 16 you get to choose which subjects you want (or you can leave school) and you matriculate at 18.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Went to a comprehensive school which was a sh*te school and a sh*te experience. Came away with six GCSEs from D-F. Then went onto College for four years where I did to IT GNVQ's and a GNVQ in Business and Management.

After that I worked and around six odd years ago I completed a HEFC in Quantitative Methods and then an AAT certificate diploma. I then decided that I didn't fancy getting into accountancy and preferred HR so completed a foundation degree in Human Resource Management and the CIPD level 3 resulting in me becoming an associate of the CIPD.

So yeah, pretty varied education but I like learning and am always pleased when I complete a new and different course.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm

I've just seen this, take a look for yourselves :-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sophiegadd/thin ... .ocXnrD7Bk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What do you guys think?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:55 am

Katzkatz wrote:I've just seen this, take a look for yourselves :-

What do you guys think?
That's very familiar, especially the chewing gum and the seagulls.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Bachelors in English language
Masters in English literature

Became a Teachers Assistant for some experience, prior to starting my PGCE. Realised after the experience, that teaching was not the right path for me, so turned medical.

Currently doing my Bsc in Adult Nursing

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:55 pm

samhain81 wrote:Bachelors in English language
Masters in English literature

Became a Teachers Assistant for some experience, prior to starting my PGCE. Realised after the experience, that teaching was not the right path for me, so turned medical.

Currently doing my Bsc in Adult Nursing
Wow. I admire your dedication, Samhain. Are you doing your new degree via the Open University? Good luck.
Katzkatz wrote:I've just seen this, take a look for yourselves :-

What do you guys think?
I certainly remember a lot of outside mobile buildings, sharing textbooks, using photocopied notes, bin fires and massive non-working radiators. :lol:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Wow. I admire your dedication, Samhain. Are you doing your new degree via the Open University? Good luck.

No my friend, doing my Bsc at the University of Hertfordshire . Thanks for your kind words , I need it :lol:

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:32 am

Went to the local comp (5 mins walk from home - infants/primary was next door) then three years at the local college (1 year foundation and 2 years book design course). Then out into the wild!

I liked school although I only did averagely at exams. I remember the last day as if it was yesterday. A mate and I went in as normal, was told we had to get a form signed by a few teachers and we were back outside the gates by 10am. We just kind of looked at each other in a 'is that it?' moment and went to have a mooch around the town centre. Such an anti-climax after all that time it being such a massive part of your life.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 pm

samhain81 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:

No my friend, doing my Bsc at the University of Hertfordshire . Thanks for your kind words , I need it :lol:
Second that! Retraining is brave so kudos! I stuck with teaching but in the early days nearly joined the police!!