Your education.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: Your education.

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 am

Going off topic, but dammit I love that show. Manga feels much better mind.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 am

psj3809 wrote:Then got a great job, they werent interested in degrees/education, more my experience which was good. From 25+ no ones bothered about my lack of qualifications or degrees, its all about experience now when i look for a job or if someone offers me one. If i look back over the years about 85% of the uni grads i've worked with have been a nightmare, yeah they've got a degree to their name but often their communication skills are terrible, they talk the talk but dont know 'real work'. Again this is just the ones i've worked with, i'm sure in other types of job uni grads work out well.

Still think now experience counts much more than degrees/education. Nowadays as well it seems everyone has a degree so its tough for them to get a job as theyre battling against so many other similar grads
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I dropped out of Uni after my first year, mostly because I got a work experience job and partly because I emigrated to the UK.

I work with a lot of graduates now and I do kind of feel like a bit of a fraud. But then, I'm led to believe that's a common thing anyway - even for people who have a degree. I don't know if you have a similar problem?

I do think about finishing my degree, but it's rediculously expensive. And the thought of doing all that studying... Also, working with graduates who are just clueless, I do wonder if it is worth it! They spent all that money and yet they don't have a clue. Crazy.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:25 am

Sel Feena wrote:Going off topic, but dammit I love that show. Manga feels much better mind.
At least it isnt Seto no Hanayome.............

STOP WITH THE NEW STUDENTS!!

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Left school with 3 O levels, went on a YTS scheme (remember those?) for 18 months, got a job in a uPVC window company, did that for another 18 months then joined the RAF. Got myself GCSE Maths in the mob (coz my English was lonely and apparently you NEED English and Maths to get on in the world...) and a AO Level (apparently this is a halfway house between O level and A Level, anyone care to qualify?) in General Studies.

I can now claim the holy grail minimum of 5 qualifications (apparently 5 is looked upon as the minimum standard, so my peers told me growing up).

Have I used any of them? Probably not. Although they probably counted towards me getting in the mob so can't really complain.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Went to pretty common Secondary School, only a hand full of teachers stay around for the full time I was there, discipline was shocking, made it out alive with a few GCSE's. Didn't hang around for 6th Form, couldn't wait to leave that place and people behind, went to the City College and got an ND and HND in Music Production over the next four years, as opposed to my experience at Secondary School, I really enjoyed all the new people I met, nights out were fantastic and my general outlook on the world evolved. After that, I move city and started working full time, weirdly in the IT industry that has very little baring on what I learnt at College, but I think it was a better trade off to study something I really enjoyed, rather than I dry subject I slogged through, just for the money at the end.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ Team Ninja Academy, sign me up! Agree with what others have said about degrees maybe not reflecting competence when starters come in. Even worse are bellends who add on their qualifications to their emails etc. No quicker way to signal you're a bit of a nob imo.
Yeah, the trouble is - that nowadays, university isn't really university - in a lot of cases(not all, but a lot)it's basically a glorified sixth form. It doesn't help that that a lot of people choose to not do the academic courses(e.g. law, sciences, languages, maths, etc.).

I do think employers have to sort of wise up on this - fair enough, some jobs you do need a degree in(e.g. I want a doctor to have a doctorate in medicine and a lawyer has to have a law degree), but in a lot of other jobs, we seem to send people off to university and it really isn't necessary, yet employers want university graduates or nowadays, the beloved unpaid interns. I think a lot of it is this corporate/HR bull**** - it turn people into drones, incapable of thinking or using their own initiative - think back to David Brent in The Office and so on. I'm sure we've all worked people and thought : "How the hell did you get your job?".

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Katzkatz wrote: I do think employers have to sort of wise up on this - fair enough, some jobs you do need a degree in(e.g. I want a doctor to have a doctorate in medicine and a lawyer has to have a law degree)
I think universities tend provide another vital function for those sort of jobs - the provision of a posh accent. If I was having tricky brain surgery I think I'd be crapping myself if the brain surgeon was talking in a cockney or geordie accent. Same if I had a scouse lawyer.

On topic, I was educated.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Why no poll, I like polls ;-)

After my GSCE's where I did less than anticipated because I got drunk a lot I stayed on the 6th form, although I'm pretty sure then has just started calling it year 12.

My mate ended up ill and pretty much dropped out. I ended up round his house imnstead of lectures most of the time. (playing chaos on the speccy 48k with the version he made have a nice multi coloured elite loader, or on his amiga, or on someone elses arc). We wanted to do computers and it was before teh school offered them. So i decided to drop out and go to college to do a btec national in computing.

After than still not ready for work i went to teesside uni to do a hnd in computing. Following That I moved onto year 2 of computer science degree. had a fun year out at british steel where I learnt more programming that uni did. the job was bascially nexct you will be writing this probram in this language. and gave me a book. And I learnt C++, VB and lots more. After than onto the last year of the degree and I ended up with a degree in information sciences and no honors. That is what happens if you fail the modulesyou don't care about and only the ones you were interested in!

Since education is life and not just "school" I will continue ;-). Following UNI I tried a couple of jobs game programming. Decided it mostly sucked. moved into industrial programming in the opto-electronic industry. Then the crash happend and I was made redundant. Went to a temp agency and got a job (no interview0 and a company most peeple hate (guess if you like (also the truth is as usual complex and not like you think)). And have been their everr since, which is about 14 years. I have changed jobs there sereral times and modled my job into doing things in a more technical manor because thats my thing.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:46 pm

The Beans wrote:I think universities tend provide another vital function for those sort of jobs - the provision of a posh accent. If I was having tricky brain surgery I think I'd be crapping myself if the brain surgeon was talking in a cockney or geordie accent. Same if I had a scouse lawyer.
Actually, just such a survey was apparently done with airline pilots (think it was mentioned on QI), and people said they trusted more the pilots with "posher" or "upper class" accents in general.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Mayhem wrote:
The Beans wrote:I think universities tend provide another vital function for those sort of jobs - the provision of a posh accent. If I was having tricky brain surgery I think I'd be crapping myself if the brain surgeon was talking in a cockney or geordie accent. Same if I had a scouse lawyer.
Actually, just such a survey was apparently done with airline pilots (think it was mentioned on QI), and people said they trusted more the pilots with "posher" or "upper class" accents in general.
Unless its Bruce Dickenson

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:13 pm

CofE primary, Catholic secondary school, different Catholic sixth form (along with Methodist Sunday school and baptist after school club, my parents clearly were playing some kind of denominational bingo), was planning on going to uni in Scotland until my parents marriage fell apart during my A levels and ended up going to a local uni so I could live near my mum to look after her and my brother, worked two jobs to pay my way through (which confused the inland revenue no end as they didn't believe I could do a full time degree and work 40+ hours a week. You can, if you only sleep 4 hours a night and flirt enough with the women in the administrative office that you get a timetable set so you only have to be in 3 days a week- got it down to one day my final year). Then couple of years later found myself in a job where I felt I wasn't being pushed enough, so went and did my masters part time in the evenings.
Last edited by Treguard on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 am

GCSE's at a decentish school. A-levels at 6th form. "multimedia" type BSc course at university in plymouth. the course had a placement year, which was very hands-on (was the only "developer" so had to learn on the job). basically gave me a job for 8 years when i went straight back there after finishing the degree. had no idea what i wanted to do, but doing that course meant i could try loads of different aspects of computing, without being straight up code. still don't know what i actually WANT to do and i'm 40 next year.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 am

Went to the local secondary (which decided to become a "sports college" when I was already stuck there), scraped through my GCSEs in spite of everything and then spent a year working. That was awful, so I went to college and had a pretty good first year, after which some teachers got involved and changed my courses with the idea of preparing me for a Cambridge application. I didn't really want to go there and lost courses I enjoyed for ones I didn't, so my interest levels dropped right off and I resorted to my default tactic (showing up if I felt like it and coasting on natural ability). That was enough to see me into a place I actually wanted to go to (Essex, fact fans), where I lived with excellent people and got a degree in politics.

And then, obviously, I went and got a job teaching science to children.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I came from the school of Hard Knocks....
Not the school of squishy knockers.............
I looked for a gif of Squishy Knockers or Big Un's as the sun called them but all I could find was a pair knockers of Mickey Mouses face :oops:

Is that Papa Shango riding that Panda in your avatar D
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Shinobi wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I came from the school of Hard Knocks....
Not the school of squishy knockers.............
I looked for a gif of Squishy Knockers or Big Un's as the sun called them but all I could find was a pair knockers of Mickey Mouses face :oops:

Is that Papa Shango riding that Panda in your avatar D
Thats his latest Ho... Funny how Charles Wright became more popular when he became the Godfather...