Your education.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Your education.

Post by aztecca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 am

Just wondered what everyones education was like? Did your rich parents pay to get rid of you at boarding school where you were bummed.? Go to a comprehensive? Polytechnic, college, Oxford uni?.

Personally I went to a comprehensive were I left at 16 with a handful of Gcses.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

markopoloman

Re: Your education.

Post by markopoloman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:51 am

Comprehensive for me. Left at 16 with a handfull of GCE's and CSE's...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:09 am

Secondary Modern for me(I'm originally from Kent - and we have Grammar Schools and Secondary Moderns down there - there are a few Comprehensives - but they're in the minority). It was pretty bad, discipline was pretty bad(I did see a sit down protest involving two thirds of the school camping out in the school playing fields, it was over hair cuts and school uniforms - the guy who did it got expelled). It's got be said that I don't think a lot was expected from anybody from there - I think you were expected to get a couple of Cs, then go off to sixth form college. From what I hear it's a lot better nowadays(they had a new headmaster and he really transformed it - some people don't even bother with the 11+ and go there now). I got a few GCSEs from there(nothing spectacular), then went on to one of the local sixth form colleges and got 3 A levels. A much better environment, then on to the University of East Anglia for a degree in History. It was called "The University of Easy Access" in my day - as it was apparently so easy to get into. :lol:

On education, school is one thing - but don't forget that life is a learning experience - you are going to have learn new things - especially when you go into the world of work(for example - your driving test, etc.).

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:24 am

aztecca wrote:Just wondered what everyones education was like? Did your rich parents pay to get rid of you at boarding school where you were bummed.? Go to a comprehensive? Polytechnic, college, Oxford uni?.

Personally I went to a comprehensive were I left at 16 with a handful of Gcses.
My parents aren't rich specifically because they chose to save when they got married and send my brother and I to a private school then went to uni and got a science degree. I sometimes think how nice a house they could have bought with that cash but they chose to invest in us instead. I'll be looking after them in their old age for sure.
Last edited by RetroBob on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Dropped out of A-Levels due to ill health...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:29 pm

I was raised by wolves in a remote jungle after surviving a plane crash. At the age of 12 I was found and returned to civilisation where I attended the school of hard knocks and left at the age of 16 with several life lessons under my belt.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Yep, got major bumming and played a lot of Quidditch.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Secondary school = five years of living hell due to merciless bullying. Got out with mostly decent GCSE results despite doing no revision whatsoever but it left its mark.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:08 pm

I've got the usual GCSE's albiet now 10 years old, a bucket full of Motor Vehicle qualifications and IT qualifications, all paid for by goverment or company as I never had intrest in Uni despite sevral trying to get me to do Motorsport.
I've self taught myself to spray paint, perform minor bodywork, solder, refinish veneers and raise and breed Fish, I can also cook and sew but don't overly enjoy it.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Just standard primary then secondary school education followed by sixth form. Passed all my GCSE's with good grades and also picked up 2 x A Levels but none of it actually helped get a job. Soon realised that qualifications meant sod all when potential employers are only interested in experience or whether or not you have a Facebook account so they can scrutinise your social activities :| .

My A Levels came in IT and Business Studies and yet somehow I've ended up working in retail and doing things like driving forklifts, delivery vehicles etc. Completely the opposite to where the subjects I took were 'supposed' to lead...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Passed all my GCSE's but that it. No further education as it utterly bored me and I had no idea what I wanted to do. Never one of those kids that knew what they wanted to do from an early age.

I just wanted to get out there and make some money.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Went to the worst secondary school in the city. Since I turned up and was half intelligent, I was allowed to breeze through a few O grades without applying myself. Stayed on for 5th year, bailed on half the classes and had fun as I realised it was all work after that point.

Got an apprenticeship as a draughtsman and did day release at the local tech college for mechanical engineering. Finished my ONC but jacked in the HNC as I was in my 20s, married with 2 kids and had had enough of homework.

Done some SVQs and stuff since then, got my current job more off the back of general capability and application than from education.

Next month should see me certified as a subsea inspection engineer.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Went through public school, which was hell on earth. Completely un-supportive, no direction, useless or barely there teachers and yobbo's as far as they eye could see. Never got bullied in high school but I always felt like I was wasting my time when I could be doing something useful! Left before 6th year with a range of Standard Grades and Highers, did well enough.

When I finally started working I got on to SVQ's and work-based qualifications. Holy moly - learning that was relevant!! and useful! And recognized by employers!! Did one in Business & Administration and one on Hospitality Management. Best Western then put me through their university training program.

I'm at the point now where I'd quite like to get a degree of sorts from University (tourism/hospitality) but I can't stand the idea of wasting 4 years on education. Wouldn't even know where to start researching stuff like that to be honest :oops:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:24 pm

went to Comprehensive and had 5 of the best years of my life in all honesty.

Left wit a few GCSE's. never knew what I wanted to do but Dad had a friend who let me do 2 - 3 days a week labouring for his cavity wall insulation company. paid me cash in hand. paid me as an adult and only had to turn up if I wanted to.

did that for around 3 years while also doing several courses which the gov paid me to do. Got qualifications in Welding, Electrical wiring and soldering, Couple of computer courses, Fabricator etc.

with the 2 sets of money together i had more cash than I ever knew what to do with at that age.

served me well until I finally started working full time.

Fantastic times, loads of free time, loads of spare cash. Great while it lasted.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 pm

So are you now a professional fraudster or was it just a phase you went through in your youth?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.