Anyone going to Blackpool event at end of April?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

subzero

Re: Anyone going to Blackpool event at end of April?

Post by subzero » Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 pm

The 10p rule isn't going to work with a free play machine

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Its the spirit of it

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed May 04, 2016 4:48 am

So did anyone try the bizarre controlerness competitions we had set up next to the main stage then?, i know a few people from here said hi
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:17 am

The event is overall great and i love the atmosphere but

1) The traders hall is now just basically filled with stalls selling plush toys / anime / memorabila etc , i only counted 5 stalls actually selling games , compared to previous years is very poor , 2 full stalls of funko pops :-( , fair play to the 3 main game sellers who put a lot of effort in )

2) The arcade - must be a tough job maintaining this side , but we ( the ticket payers) want to play the games , paperboy , gauntlet seemed to be completely off all weekend , some games were constantly out of credit , folk taking 4 or 5 goes on star wars , point blank etc , kids running round pressing the credit button then running off , one kid was jumping up n down on the space harrier seat like it was a ride ! :-(

3) The raffle - rushed at the end , obviously the higher sales the better , but to rush it and start clumping prizes together was unfair , good money was paid for each ticket , and looking at the huge array of prizes there was a good chance of winning something , even a small prize , but clumping them together 3 or 4 prizes reduced the winners considerably , start the draw earlier or just do it as promised ( too much time on the cosplay , making girls mime to happy ? wtf)

Loved it overall though and that above is just a few pointers , im not usually a moaner , but things were not as good as usual this time .

Heres to play expo manchester ! :D
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

subzero

Post by subzero » Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 am

I have to agree with you about the raffle...The arcade games that were switched off however ..you have to remember how old some of these machines are, they may arrive working but develop a fault during setup/initial testing and the guys have no choice but to leave it switched off. If You looked through the cabs you'd see they had a setup to test and fix machines but if a part goes that they didn't bring then its unfixable.I'm surprised how many people don't know to lookfor a credit button on a non freeplay machine.

The traders Hall was dissapointing.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:04 am

Yeah the arcade maintenance must be a nightmare !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 am

ReplayRetro wrote:So did anyone try the bizarre controlerness competitions we had set up next to the main stage then?, i know a few people from here said hi
It was great meeting you dude :) I tried both the Ridge Racer dance mat challenge (and think I was the top time at the end of Sunday...) and both Mario and Sonic hands free challenges, I couldn't finish either of those two though :x Both were great fun mind

In regards to the actual event,
I had a great time overall :mrgreen: I arrived in Blackpool on Friday and had a few drinks with the Retro Collect lot that night which was a laugh although I had a sore head on Saturday morning :lol:
Entry to the event on the Saturday was nice and fast so it's pretty safe to say that Replay have got that completely sorted now.

My initial impressions upon entering the arcade area was as a mixture of joy and disappointment, the the selections of games available was good but as I stated pre-event, it was a shame that there was no Street Fighter cabinet available. I never experienced the arcade hogging that others have stated, I had very little wait to play on my cab of choice.

The console section was nicely laid out and had a decent mix of games and systems so no complaints there.

The traders hall... Initially I found it disappointing, I expected at least a couple more stands selling games but the smaller stands made up for it. There was a very small game stand behind the Retro Plushy stall that had very good and open pricing, I purchased a lot of stuff from him over the course of the weekend.

Other things...
The usual event highlights for me were the Retro Collect/RetrogradeGamer/ReplayRetro challenges, I always spend way too much time on these and talking to the folks running them.
Oh! I also caught up with that weirdo off here... what's his name again? Oh yeah! Flatapex :P Always good catching up with you dude :)

I'll leave it at that as I'm going into my typical ramble mode from the post con lurgy that's setting in :x

Overall, It was a good event, the smaller venue definitely adds to the atmosphere which was something that was definitely lacking from last years Manchester show. I'll be returning again next year with out a doubt :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 am

One of the potential problems with the traders could of been that there was a comicon on somewhere (Different city) at the same time

But yeah to much junk stalls

THERES TO MEANY COMICONS!!
Most just have the name slapped on as it gets people in, have no thought behind each one, have the same old guests and are put on purely as a money making thing

subzero

Post by subzero » Wed May 04, 2016 10:04 am

DPrinny wrote:One of the potential problems with the traders could of been that there was a comicon on somewhere (Different city) at the same time

But yeah to much junk stalls

THERES TO MEANY COMICONS!!
Most just have the name slapped on as it gets people in, have no thought behind each one, have the same old guests and are put on purely as a money making thing

ok mike, you've made your point about comicons....

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 am

I was in two minds as to whether to write this because I didn't want to seem as one of those people who like to complain about everything. So please bear that in mind :)

I went on the Sunday, and the things I was looking forward to the most weren't great. The VR room only had an Oculus in it, not the Vive, but then I saw the lucky tale game and thought "Oh well, at least I get to see the consumer release" but it was just a DK2 version. Not even the latest tech. I went back later (3ish maybe?) to have a look at the game with the gaming chair in it (can't remember the name though), and the guy had already gone :(

The indie section was very depleted too. I appreciate that Play Blackpool's focus is on the retro, but there wasn't enough there to shout about. The Bopscotch game was infuriating but fun, and there seemed to be one or two other stalls which weren't really my thing but they at least had a presence. However, most of the "indie section" just appeared to be grey cubicles with PCs without any staff or accompanying materials, or even worse, stuck on a Steam error screen with no ability to log in.

Maybe the novelty of these events has worn off or maybe I've been spoilt by the easy regular access at Arcade Club in Bury, but out of all the Replay events I've been to, I enjoyed that the least.

However, plus points:

- The games with the alternative controllers were fun
- While the arcade cabs were quite busy, we did manage to actually get to play on them a few times
- I bought a Playstation t-shirt and some Lemmings fridge magnets :)
- And I guess, most importantly, there's still lots of exciting stuff to see for someone who's not been to any/many of these events before. If I get asked about it by anyone who's never been to an event like this before, I'll probably still recommend it.

Assuming there will be the same number of indie game developers as there was last year, I'll probably still go to the Play Expo in Manchester, that was fun. I loved having the chance to chat with enthusiastic indie developers about their pride and joy!

subzero

Post by subzero » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 am

A lot of developers disappeared on the Sunday for some reason coz im sure there was more in the vr room on saturday

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed May 04, 2016 5:38 pm

wasn't keen on the lack of games in the trade hall, too much focus on cosplay/lip sync and also the bratty kids both in the event and all through the hotel.

Best bit was meeting jon hare, all the retrocollect related stuff, playing sociable soccer and spending time catching up with cool people from here (archaic koala, subzero, replay retro)

going to do a proper write up of my weekend probably tomorrow

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu May 05, 2016 3:40 am

flatapex wrote:playing sociable soccer
Now that's a game that is shaping up nicely! I was awful at it just as I was with Sensi on the Amiga but boy is it fun!
I'll kick your butt at it next time flatapex Or at the least score a couple more goals ;)

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Thu May 05, 2016 6:43 am

MikeFishcake wrote: - The games with the alternative controllers were fun
ArchaicKoala wrote:I tried both the Ridge Racer dance mat challenge (and think I was the top time at the end of Sunday...) and both Mario and Sonic hands free challenges, I couldn't finish either of those two though :x Both were great fun mind
Glad you guys enjoyed them, i'm already working on more for future events
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu May 05, 2016 6:58 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:
flatapex wrote:playing sociable soccer
Now that's a game that is shaping up nicely! I was awful at it just as I was with Sensi on the Amiga but boy is it fun!
I'll kick your butt at it next time flatapex Or at the least score a couple more goals ;)
get practising lol i'll practice button bashing on fighing games and you won't be lucky, might be an interesting way of getting higher on the 52 game challenge though, I am sat at 1 as I claimed that streets of rage 3 completion. :lol: