EU in or out? June 23rd (Now with POLL)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Right now - prior to the camaigne for In/Out...

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Stay IN the EU
49%
Leave the EU
43%
I really don't give a toss
8%

Total votes: 49

sscott

EU in or out? June 23rd (Now with POLL)

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:51 am

Here we go...
Undecided yet but... Will look into all the pros and cons like everyone should do, if it just comes down to immigration then I think the general populace will vote 'out', we'll see. Thoughts my RG friends?

(EDIT: Added a Poll :D MPM)

paranoid marvin

Re: EU in or out? June 23rd

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:56 am

Like with the Scottish referendum , we'll get the 'wer're all doomed' propoganda from the government if we vote 'no'. Completely unsurprising that apparently Cameron got 'a great deal from Europe' yesterday - just before the referendum is called.

In all honesty I can't really see much changing whether we stay in the EU or not.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:03 am

I will vote Out but I have to agree with Marvin can't see much changing either way.. Neither can I see an out vote making much if any difference to Immigration...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 am

Should have set up a poll and do another one closer to the actual vote. I am unsure as to what way to vote at the moment, although I am slightly edging to OUT.
Not heard all of the arguments for each side so will listen attentivly and decide on what I decide is best for my family in the future.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 am

Right now if the vote was today I'd vote out. I could be convinced to stay but I'd need an honest, well-reasoned argument. Not the bullsh!t PR spin and fear campaign that Cameron will be putting out.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:28 am

Yeah, needs a poll!!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:52 am

RichL wrote:Yeah, needs a poll!!
Done!

necronom

Re: EU in or out? June 23rd (Now with POLL)

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:54 am

If I had to decide right now, I'd say stay in. The admin costs alone would probably be huge to change everything. I don't know what we'd gain or lose by changing.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Markopoloman has given me a poll! No undecided MP?
Last edited by sscott on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:16 pm

sscott wrote:Markopoloman has given me a poll!
Normally you say that on a Sunday night :D :wink:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm pro-Europe but not that arsed either way.

One thing that can be guaranteed is that this whole referendum will be a MASSIVE waste of time & money whatever the outcome.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 pm

We'll all be bored witless of it by the time the vote comes around. The media will see to that.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:56 pm

I vote for IN. (Technically the options will be STAY or LEAVE - to avoid the question confusing people with a YES/NO answer).

There is the amount of business we do with European countries, the fact EU legislation RAISES standards and working practices and we get more out than we pay in. And there is also the argument that being part of the "club" is better than being shut out. (It will cost more to trade with Europe from outside the EU, for example).

But... I fear the debate will be clouded by the right-wing screaming IMMIGRATION every five minutes.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:06 pm

I'm leaning towards "out" at the moment, largely because I'm fed up of all these 'EU regulations' and the way that the EU is constantly interfering with their laws. That ridiculous recent one for instance about vacuum cleaners not being permitted to run beyond a certain power. Then they get involved with our justice system and take human rights too far i.e. much too difficult to deport people because of their "human rights".

It would just be nicer to do more things without the EU having their say and butting in all the time.

Also, for such a huge collection of countries, it is a useless organisation that doesn't seem to get anything done. Look how many last minute emergency meetings there were about the Greek financial crisis (about 5 billion of them?). No firm solution to the migrant crisis or long term strategy to wear down ISIS. All you see is talk, talk, talk, meetings, debates, summits and disagreement.

I do thing the immigration aspect is overplayed by the "Out" party but one thing I cannot stand is migrants coming here and sending loads of benefits back home to children that don't even live here. Why should the taxpayer bankroll this way of "earning" money? Especially when the benefits reaped here are worth more once they've been transferred back home and into the Euro currency. If the kids are actually living here and the parent(s) are working here to keep a roof over their heads then fair enough though.

I think Beans is right though: we will all be sick of hearing the BBC and the like banging on about this for 80-90% of every news bulletin.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:19 pm

The EU was originally set up to promote free and easy trade in Europe and that every country had a level playing field. Over the years however it has taken on more policy making etc and it's something that we have not voted for or wanted. We need only free trade and nothing else.. Who will cease to trade with us? We trade as much as them, they stop we stop it's simple.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"