Apple (Tim Cook) vs the FBI, who's right and who's wrong?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Apple (Tim Cook) vs the FBI, who's right and who's wrong

Post by merman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

It still feels like heavy-handed tactics from the FBI, and I'm glad Apple is taking a stand.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Taking a stand, or protecting their profits? I'd bet its the latter that brought the former. With so many weirdly touchy on the 'privacy' subject, business would take at least a temporary dive if they just gave up the goods. I can't see the government adequately compensating for that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:40 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Taking a stand, or protecting their profits? I'd bet its the latter that brought the former. With so many weirdly touchy on the 'privacy' subject, business would take at least a temporary dive if they just gave up the goods. I can't see the government adequately compensating for that.
Apple have refused multiple requests to access phone or tablet data in the last year. This case is high profile because of the "terrorism" angle.

Instead of chasing the computer companies, the FBI should be chasing the people who sold the guns used in the attack....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:22 am

merman wrote:Apple have refused multiple requests to access phone or tablet data in the last year.
That doesn't change their reason for refusal from one of profit.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:07 am

Dont see what the uproar is about, they can easily get someone else to unlock it...

http://newsthump.com/2016/02/24/rav-at- ... e-for-fbi/

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
merman wrote:Apple have refused multiple requests to access phone or tablet data in the last year.
That doesn't change their reason for refusal from one of profit.
It's not just about profit, it only is if you're cynical enough to believe that there's no other reason.

Here's an exert from an interview with mobile security expert Jon Case;

Speaking to the situation in general, Case says that the FBI isn't really asking for a special version of iOS, but rather a "specialized custom part" that handles the decryption and the lockscreen. It's "a bit of a stretch on Apple's part" to call it a backdoor, he says, and creating it wouldn't take a lot of work, but "it is pretty dangerous."

"The primary reason is the precedent," he responds when asked why it's dangerous. "[Apple is] going to have every department in the US asking for unlocked phones. Other countries are going to ask for it, too. It's not going to stop at one phone. It's going to put people at risk and data at risk. We know forensic devices have been abused by law enforcement in the past. If they let it go wild, it's going to get abused."
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:14 pm

^ Yeah exactly this. It's only sensible to have a healthy distrust of government in general tbh, they've got previous.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Meh.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:28 pm

FBI have broke into the phone without the need for Apple to help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35914195

I was always convinced that the FBI (and the CIA, NSA, Mossad, and all the rest) could break into whatever phone they wanted anyway, but it's nice to see confirmation.

now watch the hysterics from the loony left and terrorist sympathisers.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:07 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:FBI have broke into the phone without the need for Apple to help

I was always convinced that the FBI (and the CIA, NSA, Mossad, and all the rest) could break into whatever phone they wanted anyway, but it's nice to see confirmation.

There's no hysterics from me, as it's a win-win situation.

The FBI get into this phone for the information they need, and Apple don't have to provide a back door into every phone they ever make so nobody else's privacy is needlessly compromised.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Matt_B wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:FBI have broke into the phone without the need for Apple to help

The FBI get into this phone for the information they need, and Apple don't have to provide a back door into every phone they ever make so nobody else's privacy is needlessly compromised.
Only if it's a technique that cannot be repeated by hackers.
It's still unclear whether the Israeli company offering help was involved - but if they were, there is always a chance of a leak leading to problems for every iPhone owner.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 am

merman wrote:
Matt_B wrote:

Only if it's a technique that cannot be repeated by hackers.
It's still unclear whether the Israeli company offering help was involved - but if they were, there is always a chance of a leak leading to problems for every iPhone owner.
If it can be repeated by hackers, at least Apple are free to patch it out in the next release as is the case with every other security hole they've found out about.

That's a far cry from a government-mandated back door that they must maintain at all times, and I'm relieved to see the FBI dropping a case that they could well have pushed ahead with anyway if that was the outcome that they really wanted.