Flying.....and censored my pants.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

tachi

Flying.....and censored my pants.

Post by tachi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Ok, this year is my big 40 and so we have been booked on a flight to Malta in April.
Thing is, if I had any say we would have gone by boat or coach as I am terrified of flying, a thing that has only become worse since becoming a parent.
I know it makes no sense, I know flying is incredibly safe but I am still extremely anxious and worried about it and am even more worried that my fear may cause my 5yo to worry also.
I've flown a few times before, 6 times in total and one was even further than our trip to Malta (Turkey) but this was all before I became a parent.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do/take to get me through this?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

David

Re: Flying.....and censored my pants.

Post by David » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Can you not get something from the chemist for anxiety?

I know what you mean though. I am taking the kids abroad for the first time in May and can see me Ninja kicking the first suspicious looking person :lol:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 pm

tachi wrote:Ok, this year is my big 40 and so we have been booked on a flight to Malta in April.
Thing is, if I had any say we would have gone by boat or coach as I am terrified of flying, a thing that has only become worse since becoming a parent.
I know it makes no sense, I know flying is incredibly safe but I am still extremely anxious and worried about it and am even more worried that my fear may cause my 5yo to worry also.
I've flown a few times before, 6 times in total and one was even further than our trip to Malta (Turkey) but this was all before I became a parent.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do/take to get me through this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdL3DYcfjuM

:D

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Get your fellow members of The A-Team to dope your milk..?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:47 pm

joefish wrote:Get your fellow members of The A-Team to dope your milk..?
I pity the fool who has to do it...

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:30 pm

I have some tramadol here if you want me to send you a strip.Have a large whisky and 3 tramadol and you will sleep the whole journey.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Rohypnol?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:Rohypnol?

I wouldnt recommend that someone could slip him a length and he wouldn't even know about it. :?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Chastity pants?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

DPrinny wrote:Chastity pants?

Good call. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:32 am

I used to hate flying, then with one of my old jobs i had to go to Paris and i didnt want to sound a woose and tell them about me and flying ! So just did it and had to man up ! It wasnt that bad at all and just got used to it, must admit i'm still not keen being next to the window !

Still dont love it, but my brother in laws a pilot and tells me about all the safety checks they go through etc. It could be worth you going on one of these courses where they talk to you about safety etc.

At the end of the day theres WAY more chance of an accident in a car (or train)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:57 am

Flying is easy. Landing is the tricky bit, so I don't tend to give it much thought until then. There's the odd problem on take off, but all the bits in between are easy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Flying is easy. Landing is the tricky bit, so I don't tend to give it much thought until then. There's the odd problem on take off, but all the bits in between are easy.
I've never been keen on take off, landing i'm fine with.

One trip i went on to France the plane was one with frickin propellers ! Wasnt keen on that at all specially when i was next to the window.

The worst flight i went on was on my honeymoon, went to Maldives, got there fine. Then once you land you go on an seaplane to the island and that was like some 1940's indiana jones type of tiny plane. That was freaky !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:04 am

I used to have to travel to Orkney/Shetland every year for work. Little prop planes landing on short runways that extend to the edge of the sea. One of them even has a road across it!

Not as bad as helicopters for offshore though, noisy rattly things that get blown around something rotten, pretty hairy when you're trying to drop onto a tiny helipad in bad weather, sometimes takes a couple of goes and they'll drop like a stone. Planes are easy after those.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 am

I used to be Sh!t scared of flying (I suffer from vertigo, really don't like heights!)

For me, like others have said, it was a case of having to man up and suffer through. After take-off it really isn't that different to a train, passenger airlines are so big and you're flying so high that it's almost surreal. I find it less scary than looking down an escalator :lol: :oops:

When all else fails numbers might help? There's approximately 100,000 flights per day, the current chances of your airplane going down are 1 in 5,371,369. You'd expect to crash if you took a flight every day for 14,716 years.