Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:18 pm

markopoloman wrote:Nah - Max would have won. Hamilton wouldn't have put himself at risk of being swiped out of the race by a determined and slightly bonkers Max.
Red Bull could tell they were slower than Mercedes (well, specifically Hamilton) at the point when pitting so tried to get the jump in strategy, take a gamble, and it didn't quite pay off. Had they just kept on the old tyres like Mercedes, they would have been also just as slow, although Lewis was barely breaking a sweat and in total control.

That said, 2nd was definitely up for grabs, so 3rd was slightly disappointing for Max in the end, but he made probably a bigger impact in reaching that position, as we can see from everyones reaction to his performance.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:38 am

Abu Dhabi time. This weekend is the last race of the season. Out in the middle of nowhere - no, I'm not talking about Leytonstone :lol: , but in the Middle East. Not that a great a track, it seems even having the longest straight in current F1, it's really difficult to overtake there.

Nico only has to get a second or third and the title is his. I think he would make a worthy champion, as he has been more consistent over the course of the season - however, it's still all to play for.

Elsewhere, it seems that McLaren are in trouble - they haven't rehired Ron Dennis! What's going on there? Seems the shareholders are unhappy.

Anyway, let us hope for a good race.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Abu Dhabi time. This weekend is the last race of the season. Out in the middle of nowhere - no, I'm not talking about Leytonstone :lol: , but in the Middle East. Not that a great a track, it seems even having the longest straight in current F1, it's really difficult to overtake there.

Nico only has to get a second or third and the title is his. I think he would make a worthy champion, as he has been more consistent over the course of the season - however, it's still all to play for.

Elsewhere, it seems that McLaren are in trouble - they haven't rehired Ron Dennis! What's going on there? Seems the shareholders are unhappy.

Anyway, let us hope for a good race.
McLaren's Shareholders are the ones that ousted Ron Dennis... Imagine McLaren without Ron Dennis!!! :shock:

I really hope Rosberg gets the title. I am quite frankly appalled at Hamiltons attitude towards Rosberg.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 am

It will be odd seeing McLaren run without Ron Dennis, but the F1 team has suffered in recent years since he returned to properly running the team. Perhaps its not entirely his fault, but maybe a shake-up is what is needed. McLaren had competitive cars (top 3) in 2012 and prior to that, but since then have been garbage even before we could blame the Honda engine.

Basically, its since Hamilton left, that McLaren have fallen from grace! Yes, Sir Lewis must eventually return to McLaren, and restore their empire!

As for this weekend. Hopefully Hamilton can overturn the deficit against Rosberg, but as we all know it will require a Rosberg mistake, mechanical failure or a very aggressive Ferrari or Red Bull to mix things up. Perhaps Lewis, if leading, will slow down and back Rosberg back into the "pack"?? :twisted:

All fairly unlikely, but not entirely impossible. If only double points were back on offer! :lol: To be fair though, after 3 years of nearish misses (even if Lewis has been overall the superior driver), Nico would not be an undeserving champion in 2016.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:28 am

Well done Nico! He did everything he needed to do. Another win for Germany.

The climax at the end was dramatic. Good to Max fight from the back. Vettel also put in a good race. Sad to see Button retire the way he did.

Force India claimed 4th in the WCC. Well done.

Poor show for Williams again. :cry: Makes me sad, as they are one of my favourite teams.

Anyway, see you all next year for some fun. Rumour has it that Red Bull will have the best car - so it should be interesting.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Well, at least there was no Schumacher style collision to decide the title.

Max showed yet again how good he is.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:39 pm

merman wrote:Well, at least there was no Schumacher style collision to decide the title.
I think I must be on my own here but I miss all those shenanigans.

The most exciting time in Formula 1 I ever remember watching, was the two years when first Prost crashed into Senna to claim the title in the last race, and the next year Senna took Prost out at the first corner of the last race of the season to win the title... exceptionally dangerous I'm sure, but great to watch as a viewer.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Rosberg was the deserving victor I thought. Really nice scenes when he was celebrating with family and when he dedicated the title to his wife on the podium. The last few laps were properly nail-biting! I was thinking "please don't get overtaken by two cars here and lose it on the last lap!". Fortunately he defended well against Vettel (who maybe should have thought twice about damaging Rosberg's chances given how fellow German Schumacher let him through in 2012 to beat Alonso!) and Max ran out of tyres anyway by the looks of things.

Wasn't impressed by Hamilton's lack of grace and humility during the post-race interviews to C4. It looked like he was desperate to say something like "Yeah, Nico's won but only because..." and start going on about technical failures blah, blah, blah. Some people forget that Rosberg beat Hamilton off the line fairly in a lot of the earlier races and held onto the lead to win. He won 9 races, was more consistent throughout the year than in 2014/2015 and showed that he could keep it together in the appalling conditions at Brazil. I've been going off Hamilton for a while now anyway due to the growing worldwide celeb thing that he has going on but this attitude and the fact that he'd clearly love to play down Rosberg's achievement has really put me off him personally.

Elsewhere, I was gutted that it's the end for Massa and Button :( . Feels like the end of an era and I can still remember watching Australia 2000 with all the commotion about a "new British driver" in F1. Massa came along shortly afterwards and who knew they'd still be in the sport in 2016? They've raced a lot of different regulations, V10's, V8's and V6t's and seen lots of drivers come and go during their careers. Just Alonso and Raikkonen left from the "old guard" now.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Yes, well done Rosberg!! So glad he kept calm and took 2nd place - and the WDC

Hamilton - a dirty finish. Had he won the WDC, he'd have been undeserving and be know as the dirty champion!!! And what is it with all this 'but he won the last 4 races - he is the best' rubbish... who was winning all the races at the end of last season?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:35 am

markopoloman wrote:Yes, well done Rosberg!! So glad he kept calm and took 2nd place - and the WDC

Hamilton - a dirty finish. Had he won the WDC, he'd have been undeserving and be know as the dirty champion!!! And what is it with all this 'but he won the last 4 races - he is the best' rubbish... who was winning all the races at the end of last season?
I'm not a great fan of Hamilton (the "Monkey's at the back" comment didn't go down well with me a few years ago), but he would have won it if it wasn't for the car failure. And to me, nothing was worse than Schumacher's ramming of Hill to take the WDC.

I don't mind Nico winning, as he drove excellently this year, but he did win because of Lewis' bad luck. This will have happened many times during F1 and is something people have to live with, but it's still a fact.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:30 pm

markopoloman wrote:Yes, well done Rosberg!! So glad he kept calm and took 2nd place - and the WDC

It was a dirty finish, but it made it pretty exciting (given the Mercs were light years ahead again on pace), and I would suspect most drivers, including perhaps even Nico himself, would have done the same thing.

But yea, Hamilton isn't the best loser on the grid, and the inner child frequently shows. It will have been a psychologists dream analysing the behaviour in the cool-down room between Nico and Lewis (as it always is!). Lewis though just couldn't avert his gaze from the timings board - he must have revised every last number on there, just to avoid any eye contact or the chance of having to engage with Rosberg! Pretty amusing behaviour, doing a terrible job of trying to hide his emotions.

I'm sure Lewis will bounce back next year. He probably will be more determined than ever, and might even tone down the "socialite playboy" lifestyle. Rosberg deserved a championship in that car though, he's worked hard, is consistent, smart, and is quick as demonstrated against both Hamilton and Schumacher over the years.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Thing is though, people can say that Hamilton lost this year because of car failures (a fair enough comment) but don't forget that he also bolloxed-up a lot of starts earlier on in the year which were entirely his own fault.

As for the old-school last race of the season crashes, everyone remembers Schumacher hitting Hill in '94 but less people bring up the much more blatant ramming of Villeneuve in '97! There was no way of trying to debate whether that one was intentional or not unlike '94 where some TV programmes and books still like to think that it may have just been a racing incident.

1997 was one of my favourite seasons; partially because Villeneuve is one of my favourite F1 drivers from the past (because he just said what he wanted to say) but also because it was fascinating to see the team/drivers with the best car make it so difficult to take the title!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 pm

necronom wrote:

I'm not a great fan of Hamilton (the "Monkey's at the back" comment didn't go down well with me a few years ago), but he would have won it if it wasn't for the car failure. And to me, nothing was worse than Schumacher's ramming of Hill to take the WDC.

I don't mind Nico winning, as he drove excellently this year, but he did win because of Lewis' bad luck. This will have happened many times during F1 and is something people have to live with, but it's still a fact.
Yeah swings and roundabouts. One of the years Lewis won the championship Nico could of won if not for the technical failures he had.

Also F1 is very much cameras everywhere now with no break at all from them for drivers. You never used to see them before the podium etc... So you can only imagine what used to go on back in the past with past rivalries like Senna and Prost etc...

So as much as Lewis attitude rubbed me up the wrong way. And I'm not trying to excuse him here, but the guy was hurting from losing the championship. Deep down I'm sure there is respect there.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:46 am

silvergunner wrote:So as much as Lewis attitude rubbed me up the wrong way. And I'm not trying to excuse him here, but the guy was hurting from losing the championship. Deep down I'm sure there is respect there.
I think that's where you might be wrong. If Hamilton is getting advice from shameless self-promoters like Kanye West, I think he might have started believing his own hype and he genuinely thinks he is better than everyone else on the grid.

But who knows?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:35 am

theantmeister wrote:
silvergunner wrote:So as much as Lewis attitude rubbed me up the wrong way. And I'm not trying to excuse him here, but the guy was hurting from losing the championship. Deep down I'm sure there is respect there.
I think that's where you might be wrong. If Hamilton is getting advice from shameless self-promoters like Kanye West, I think he might have started believing his own hype and he genuinely thinks he is better than everyone else on the grid.

But who knows?
You could well be right but it's part of sport I guess.

Normally a lot of the best people at sport can have quite a arrogant attitude. Not all though as there is a hell of a lot nice people. Just look at how Jenson is, a complete gent. Will miss him a lot now he has gone.we can look at sport stars past and present and list loads who were not nice but once they retired their whole attitude changes. To the point they are completely different people outside of the sport and you are left thinking "are you the same person who rubbed so many people up the wrong way?"

Oh and Kanye can bugger off. Cannot believe the amount of sheep who believe the crap he puts out there.