Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:45 am

Brazil, Brazil, Brazil! Like the famous song. Also - where they have coffee beans. It's F1 time again. Nico could win here - if he wins the race. There's a high chance of rain for race day. Cool. :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:13 am

Katzkatz wrote:Brazil, Brazil, Brazil! Like the famous song. Also - where they have coffee beans.
Your knowledge about the country of Brazil is extensive Katz, very impressive :P

Don't forget "the land of Pele"!

Hamilton has a poor record here, i think Nico could wrap this up this weekend. Its a pity the last race doesn't have the "double points" rule! Bet Hamilton is wishing he had endorsed that rule a bit stronger now :mrgreen:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:15 am

Certainly need some rain at brazil or the two mercs are going to leave everyone behind from the looks of it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:16 am

I might have to try to see it by other means today, as staying up till midnight isn't great when I'm getting up early tomorrow, and last time we had one like this (the US one) I heard the result the next morning at work before I saw it :x
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:57 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Brazil, Brazil, Brazil! Like the famous song. Also - where they have coffee beans.
Your knowledge about the country of Brazil is extensive Katz, very impressive :P

Don't forget "the land of Pele"!

:D :D :D :D

Ironically, my great grandfather was from Brazil! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, we have a wet weather start. Yeah. :D Hopefully, it should be fun, despite the delayed start.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Arggghhhh! This rain is getting annoying. Just restart the race! Please! :x

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Wow. At last. After awhile, it finally got going. Note to all the drivers - use the full wets! Max was mega today - he had to come back and get back into a podium position. I wonder what would have happened if he had stayed on full wets? Surely, he was the driver of the race.

Another win for Lewis - and it's got to be said that was a very good drive for him. Difficult race and still took the win. 52 wins now - only behind Schumi.

Nico gets another second place. Just needs one more in Abu Dhabi and the WDC is his.

Perhaps a few too many stoppages, but it came alive towards the end. Good stuff from Brazil. When it rains, it rains down there.

Next stop - Abu Dhabi. Let us hope we get a decent race again. Nico is very good place now.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Lewis showed again he's great in the wet. But boy max was fantastic, some proper heart stopping moments.

Vettel complaining about tatics used on him that he forgets he normally does to others :lol:

Glad I watch it on channel 4 and that it was a highlights show with all the stoppages and safety cars. That rain was crazy.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 pm

silvergunner wrote:Glad I watch it on channel 4 and that it was a highlights show with all the stoppages and safety cars. That rain was crazy.
Yeah, definitely pleased to not have Sky for once and be "stuck" with a highlights show instead. I'll be honest and say that Verstappen made the entire race worth watching. His final charge through the field was astonishing was overtakes coming faster than a really fast thing on steroids. A drive that showed everybody else up in my opinion.

Also, did anybody else see Hamilton be a gent at the start and put his coat over the shoulders of a grid girl to stop her getting wet only for a Mercedes person to remove it from her within about 10secs :roll: . Way to undermine the gesture!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Glad I watch it on channel 4 and that it was a highlights show with all the stoppages and safety cars. That rain was crazy.
Yeah, definitely pleased to not have Sky for once and be "stuck" with a highlights show instead. I'll be honest and say that Verstappen made the entire race worth watching. His final charge through the field was astonishing was overtakes coming faster than a really fast thing on steroids. A drive that showed everybody else up in my opinion.

Also, did anybody else see Hamilton be a gent at the start and put his coat over the shoulders of a grid girl to stop her getting wet only for a Mercedes person to remove it from her within about 10secs :roll: . Way to undermine the gesture!
Did not see that. Bit harsh that.

Nice to see the reception Massa got from all the crews. Shame he crashed out on his final home Grand Prix but if he didn't he would not have had that moment of everyone clapping for him at once.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Glad I watched the full event on Sky! That 2nd red flag was stupid - the drivers were saying they wanted to race but got dragged back to the pits, only for the rain to ease off again! The FIA seem to be paranoid about another big crash... and it has the potential to ruin races, and very nearly ruined this one.

Max was the star of the race by a country mile!!! had he not been on inters, I believe he would have quite easily won the race - bollox to Hamilton saying Rosberg was just lucky, he was bloody lucky Max had to pit!

The Massa crash and following walk to the pits - his family - all the teams mechanics coming out clapping - him crying - was fantastic! Very good to see this being allowed. :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:40 pm

markopoloman wrote:bollox to Hamilton saying Rosberg was just lucky, he was bloody lucky Max had to pit!
Hamilton was playing down Rosberg's success a bit to the C4 presenters as well saying that "Nico has had 99.8% reliability this year blah blah blah" as if laying the foundations for a title loss at Abu Dhabi. Yes, Rosberg has been lucky but he has also won a lot of races where Hamilton has not, kept the car on the track during the rain today (including a near miss with a slide!) and had his share of issues in 2014/2015 including his Abu Dhabi technical failure in '14.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:00 am

markopoloman wrote:
Max was the star of the race by a country mile!!! had he not been on inters, I believe he would have quite easily won the race - bollox to Hamilton saying Rosberg was just lucky, he was bloody lucky Max had to pit!
Max was definitely the star of the show. I suspect that had things fallen in similar strategies, Hamilton would have still won. Max seemed super-quick at the end because he had much fresher tyres on than the Mercs and he was on a charge. The first stint of the race, Hamilton was comfortably in control ahead of Max after the initial few laps - although he had clearly dropped Nico who seems less confident in wet conditions.

Although had Max been in 2nd and putting some pressure on Lewis to speed up, it could have potentially forced him into a mistake, but we'll never know, as Lewis only had a rather sedate Nico behind him for the majority of the race so could just bring the car home, no dramas.

Its just a pity that there will be no repeat performance likely in Abu Dhabi! Perhaps Bernie was right with the "sprinklers" idea, definitely adds some excitement to races, rather than a Merc procession!

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:31 am

I'll never understand why Max pitted. It's the most ludicrous thing I've seen all year. He was second, may have challenged for first, then pitted to an obviously wrong tyre, then changed back. Two pit stops for nothing. It was as though they didn't want to do well, or want Nico to win the championship.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Nah - Max would have won. Hamilton wouldn't have put himself at risk of being swiped out of the race by a determined and slightly bonkers Max.

Hamilton is really pishing me off at the moment. He keeps harking on about 'How lucky Rosberg has been'. Rosberg, like every other driver in F1 has had a couple of lucky times during the season (Hamilton included) but Rosberg not having engine problems has got bugger all to do with luck! If that were the case, I am lucky every bloody day when I drive to work without my car spluttering to a halt.
Yes, Hamiton has had bad luck - but there is a VAST difference between the two.
If Rosberg wins this season, then he is every bit as worthy a World Champion as Hamilton was in any of his 3 titles, and he should shut up and just accept it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/