Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by markopoloman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Well, one thing is obvious..... WE NEED RAIN IN THE USA! What a bloody boring race.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:59 am

Katzkatz wrote:As for Ferrari - great pitstop with Kimi. :lol: :lol: :lol: What the hell?
Just the kind of ineptitude I've come to expect from them. Ugh.

I dunno, I enjoyed the race otherwise. Alonso was ace.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:31 pm

theantmeister wrote:Alonso was ace.
The only entertaining part imo. Watching it from 11pm til 1am on C4 and yawning throughout wasn't enjoyable.

It wasn't the worst race at all (those were in the middle of the year with the likes of Azerbijan etc.) but it wasn't enthralling either.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:49 pm

Highlight of the season was Vettel's last radio comment: "yeh, you know what, here's a message for Charlie, f*ck off"

:lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:01 pm

I think Vettel was totally out of order. I'd have given HIM the 5 second penalty.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 pm

necronom wrote:I think Vettel was totally out of order. I'd have given HIM the 5 second penalty.
Of course, he wouldn't have been put in that situation if Max had done the right thing.

I did half expect a steward to ask Vettel to leave and Ricky Bobby to walk in. :mrgreen:

Vettel really should have apologised to Charlie on the podium.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Highlight of the season was Vettel's last radio comment: "yeh, you know what, here's a message for Charlie, f*ck off"

:lol: :lol:
I think I love him.

Verstappen, if he's not sanctioned properly and promptly, is going to do more damage than good to this sport.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Vettel: was out of line with the swearing and personal insults. Just far too desperate to do something - anything - for Ferrari's cause and all the screaming about cars being in the way got a bit too much. I say this as a big Vettel fan as well.

Verstappen: needs to realise how lucky he is to be racing in this modern F1 where gravel pits and walls have been replaced with friendly run-off areas. I personally think gravel should be brought back so that overcooked corners and pushing too hard is punished by a proper loss of time (rather than just ploughing straight over flat grass) or even a DNF.

No idea why they felt the need to investigate the Vettel/Ricciardo "incident" either. That was just a great bit of wheel-to-wheel.

Overall, the start was good and the last few laps were entertaining but the middle was largely boring. Perez being stuck behind Massa's gearbox for most of the race summed it up. Again, I sort of fell asleep and only properly woke up when the Verstappen/Vettel/Ricciardo battle began.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:47 pm

yeah, boring race except for the start and finish.
Vettel was highly amusing! BUT completely over the top in his use of language and insults. Also, I agree that the Ricciardo/Vettel incident was correct to be looked into - Vettel was VERY vocal about Max doing the same to him in previous races and no matter how hissy fitty he gets, no matter how much he swears at people... he should not be allowed to get away with it.

To sum up the Mexico track... it's F*cking sh*t, and that Bloody Tilke F*cker should go F*ck himself. F*cking F*ck. :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:00 pm

I dunno, that one seemed a bit drastic to me. Vettel defended the move well imo. It was Ricciardo screaming up the inside with a slight lock-up that was lucky not to crash. Yeah there was a little bit of banging of wheels BUT nothing was said about Rosberg having the same done to him on T1 at the start by one of the Red Bulls! It was a good bit of defending to me with room for two cars. I don't recall that Vettel pushed Ricciardo off the track?!? Both cars were on the edge at it takes two to tango.

That said, Hamilton did almost exactly the same as Verstappen at the start (cutting over the grass) and nothing was said/done. Like I said - bring back the gravel traps.

A very messy end to the race in any case!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 am

Megamixer wrote:A very messy end to the race in any case!
The stewards did a terrible job this weekend. They didn't even investigate Lewis for leaving the track on the first lap. They didn't give Gutierrez a penalty for causing carnage at the start, but they gave Saintz a penalty. If you look closely, Max was locked up when he ran Rosberg off the road on the opening lap and no penalty.

The decision to delay looking into "the incident" was what resulted in everything that happened afterwards. They should have realised there was a podium at stake and taken action immediately. Instead, they allowed Max to back Vettel into Ricciardo, which could have resulted in an even worse crash. I can understand Vettel's frustration.

And in the end the Mexican crowd and poor old Ricciardo didn't even get the right podium. What a mess. :roll:

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 am

theantmeister wrote:
Megamixer wrote:A very messy end to the race in any case!
The stewards did a terrible job this weekend. They didn't even investigate Lewis for leaving the track on the first lap. They didn't give Gutierrez a penalty for causing carnage at the start, but they gave Saintz a penalty. If you look closely, Max was locked up when he ran Rosberg off the road on the opening lap and no penalty.

The decision to delay looking into "the incident" was what resulted in everything that happened afterwards. They should have realised there was a podium at stake and taken action immediately. Instead, they allowed Max to back Vettel into Ricciardo, which could have resulted in an even worse crash. I can understand Vettel's frustration.

And in the end the Mexican crowd and poor old Ricciardo didn't even get the right podium. What a mess. :roll:
I quote everything. Ridiculous management by the stewards.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:26 am

Wow. I've just seen Vettel's penalty notice. What a way to decide a race! :lol: It was on the whole a pretty boring race - only came alive towards the end, and that was mainly down to Max. His late lunge on Nico was brave. As for the stuff with Vettel - yeah, that was a bit messy. I suppose it was right that he should be penalised for that. One thing I would say - is that I think that the first corner has to be looked at again - what with Lewis, Nico and then Max's incidents there; maybe put in some gravel traps or do what they did with the first chicane at Monza and put in the polystrene bricks on the escape road to make the drivers take the long way around and rejoin the track.

Vettel's radio messages were funny! :lol: I wonder what they will be like today? :lol:

With Max, I suppose it's a case of a young driver and needing to gain some wisdom. He's very fast - and I think some drivers are intimidated by that. He probably does need the Red Bull team to calm him down.

Elsewhere, in case you hadn't noticed - Lewis Hamilton won again. 51 wins and equal to Alain Prost. The most successful British Grand Prix driver ever - but, he's still second in the championship. Nico looked very happy with second place and he can afford to take a third place and a second in the last two races, and still become WDC.

Next stop - Brasilia! Brazil, Brazil, Brazil. You know - like the old song? I love Intelagos. Will Max be rash again? Will Nico win there or take the championship? Will Lewis actually win at the circuit? Should be good - here's hoping.

Next stop Brazil

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:09 pm

We kind of need Max to take a lunge at Nico on the first corner, and perhaps DNF Nico, so that the championship run-in can go right to the wire, rather than a further couple of Merc 1-2s.