Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 am

Megamixer wrote:The podium celebration with all the sweaty boot action was probably the most entertaining podium I have ever seen :lol:
The look on Rosberg's face after he took a swig from the boot was hilarious :lol:
Megamixer wrote:Alonso going from last to 7th was epic.
Alonso must be feeling pretty upbeat for next season right now. The way Ferrari are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso doesn't consistently beat his former team next year.

What is Button thinking skipping next year?!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 am

theantmeister wrote: Alonso must be feeling pretty upbeat for next season right now. The way Ferrari are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso doesn't consistently beat his former team next year.

What is Button thinking skipping next year?!
Do you really see McLaren Honda being a threat next season? They have the resources, but the problem is so does Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull who happen to have a big head start. The Ferrari is still a decent F1 car this season despite some dodgy recent results, its just not a Mercedes, and Red Bull have caught up. The three are still quite a big way ahead of the rest.

Would be great to see McLaren back in amongst it, but I think it may still take a season or two more.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:35 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Do you really see McLaren Honda being a threat next season? They have the resources, but the problem is so does Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull who happen to have a big head start. The Ferrari is still a decent F1 car this season despite some dodgy recent results, its just not a Mercedes, and Red Bull have caught up. The three are still quite a big way ahead of the rest.

Would be great to see McLaren back in amongst it, but I think it may still take a season or two more.
A threat to Ferrari, sure. Remember, Ferrari just let their technical director walk and there's a rule change coming next year. I'd say the chances of them being wrong footed are pretty high. But we shall see.

That McLaren has been getting better and better throughout the season. Yes, it has taken then a long time to catch up, but I think the pain is behind them now. I don't think they're good enough to beat Mercedes, but I do think they have a chance to leapfrog Force India and Williams and maybe Ferrari.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am

theantmeister wrote: A threat to Ferrari, sure. Remember, Ferrari just let their technical director walk and there's a rule change coming next year. I'd say the chances of them being wrong footed are pretty high. But we shall see.

That McLaren has been getting better and better throughout the season. Yes, it has taken then a long time to catch up, but I think the pain is behind them now. I don't think they're good enough to beat Mercedes, but I do think they have a chance to leapfrog Force India and Williams and maybe Ferrari.
The rule changes give them a bit of a chance, I agree. I think you may be right on them having a genuine chance to at least be 4th best team, but Ferrari is a tall order in my opinion (nothing is impossible though I guess!). Let us also not rule out the works Renault team - the engine is starting to improve, and they're fully invested back into the sport now. They appear to be thinking towards the future as this car was always going to be a difficult one to turn around so quickly, and perhaps a more competitive driver line-up and they could be back in the mix.

F1 definitely needs a new order, or an equalising among the best teams!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm

I hold out hope for a McLaren to unleash something amazing for next year but then again, I've had the same hopes for the last two seasons! They have definitely improved though and it's much better to see Button/Alonso both being able to ACTUALLY overtake people this year.

Renault could well be the biggest improvement for 2017 in my opinion. We already know the engine is much better due to how well it works in the Red Bull but this year's chassis was designed for a Mercedes engine. I expect the entire car will be so much better with a chassis and engine that were designed to match.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Well hope that McLaren can pull something out of the bag for next year. It's a bit embarrassing seeing such a good team and a former WDC(as they'll only have Alonso) running around just collecting scraps of points rather than wins. They've got the pedigree to do it.

Hmmm, as for Ferrari - well, after last year's promise, it does look unlikely. I suppose we can hope they can do something.

Don't forget - it's the land of the rising sun this coming weekend, and one of F1's greatest tracks - Suzuka! Okay, a bit tricky to pass on - and if it's dry then it tends to be a boring race, but I still love the track.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 pm

I reckon Alonso will get fed up with McLaren by the end of 2017 and either retire or move to Renault... allowing Button back in for 2018.

We need some rain this weekend.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:11 am

markopoloman wrote:I reckon Alonso will get fed up with McLaren by the end of 2017 and either retire or move to Renault... allowing Button back in for 2018.

We need some rain this weekend.
We got rain - sort of - before the race - so there wasn't as much grip. You got another wish as well MPM - Lewis didn't win! His chances at the WDC do look very narrow now. You can't say that Rosberg doesn't deserve it - he was fastest all weekend at Suzuka and has plenty of wins under his belt this season.

Good driving from young Max to claim another second place.

Good performance from Vettel as well. He always seems mighty around Suzuka.

As for 2017 - I hear the formula is going to be more aero based. If so, then I reckon it could be Red Bull back in the driving seat winning championships.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Boring race. Hulkenberg saying "See ya later" after his great overtake on Bottas at the chicane was the only entertaining bit.

Also, Ferrari really need to fire their strategy department and get a new one already!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am

Megamixer wrote:Also, Ferrari really need to fire their strategy department and get a new one already!
I'm still trying to work out how Kimi ended up behind Ricciardo and Hamilton after his first pit stop! Only Ferrari can manage that kind of incompetence.

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race though. Plenty of overtaking and in some fairly unusual places. When Perez was chasing down that Williams into 130R I had to hide behind the sofa. Luckily sanity prevailed, that would have ended badly!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:25 am

Lewis cracking under the pressure...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

merman wrote:Lewis cracking under the pressure...
Nico only has to be second in the last four races, and the title is his. The pressure is on Lewis.

Anyway, this weekend is Austin. I quite like the track. It sort has the feel of a rollercoaster ride. One of the few modern tracks that I like. The weather is dry for this weekend. Lewis has never had pole here - even though he has won twice. Anyway, I'm looking forward to race, as we seem to get some decent races there.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Well, FP1 and Lewis was fastest....
FP2 and Nico fastest (with Ricciardo 2nd and Lewis 3rd)... Looking forward to Qualifying :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:55 pm

markopoloman wrote:Well, FP1 and Lewis was fastest....
FP2 and Nico fastest (with Ricciardo 2nd and Lewis 3rd)... Looking forward to Qualifying :D
POLE for Lewis! You must be overjoyed, Marko!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Not the greatest of races. Another Mercedes 1 and 2. 50 wins for Lewis - but, the pressure is still on him - and Nico can still afford to finish second in all of the remaining races.

As for Ferrari - great pitstop with Kimi. :lol: :lol: :lol: What the hell?

Another shoe for Danny. Yum. :D