Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 am

theantmeister wrote:Wow, Rosberg actually won the Italian crowd over! Congratulations to him for the win.
Yeah was a nice moment from Rosberg and he showed his entertaining side, as well as his linguistic skills! Hamilton does the same dour podium routine every time "just want to thank these great fans, great team etc etc".

merman

Post by merman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:32 am

Was a very ordinary race, DRS responsible for the majority of overtakes.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am

Compared to Spa - it was lacking in excitement. It seems that both the Mercedes can be prone to hiccups at the start. Initially, Lewis got away well - but it looked like clutch slip later on. Still - he finished second - so it's not all that bad.

Good race for Nico. Although, don't give up the day job - or go to a karaoke bar! :lol: This really helps out with the WDC - as it means there's two points between him and Lewis. Singapore could get nasty between them!

Highlight of the race - Mr. Riccardio's overtake on Bottas! That was probably the overtake of the season. Such a long way back, but kept it clean and made it work.

It's awhile till the next race.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Highlight of the race - Mr. Riccardio's overtake on Bottas! That was probably the overtake of the season. Such a long way back, but kept it clean and made it work.
\m/ :mrgreen:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 pm

markopoloman wrote:So, will Button take his place in 2018 :?:
I don't think he'll be back as a full time driver. Perhaps if the 2018 car is WORTH racing and if Vandoorne somehow fails to impress (which I think is unlikely). I still remember Hakkinen taking a 'sabbatical' at the end of the 2001 but then not returning...

As for today's race, it looked like it was going to be exciting but once Rosberg began opening a gap on the first lap, I knew it was all over really. Ricciardo's overtake was probably the best bit of the race but Alonso's radio was better...when they spoke to him about Grosjean and he just laughed :lol:

Did anybody else notice Vettel take the 1st place hat in the pre-podium room? :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:29 pm

An exciting Singapore GP this time around. Mostly thanks to the Mercs struggling with brakes. Still, it was good to see some action at the front for a change.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Bit of a dull Singapore race - apart from Riccardio in the final part trying to catch Rosberg. That was pretty decent. If only he had more pace to catch him earlier. Nico's now back in the lead of the WDC. 3 wins in a row as well. Momentum has swung back the other way. He's a strong character to put up such a decent fight.

Next stop - Sepang. Actually, one of the few Tilkedromes that I like. It's on 2nd October. So, awhile yet.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:20 pm

It was a decent race this time. Enjoyed Kvyat holding off Verstappen - was thinking to myself "good on ya son...you got demoted so don't roll over and let fish lips past!". The coded radio message about being in the race with Alonso really annoyed me though! Just leave them to it!

Also enjoyed Raikkonen taking Hamilton!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Also enjoyed Raikkonen taking Hamilton!
I say! fffnarrrr ffnarrrrrr :lol:

Thought it was a pretty decent race for a track that usually doesn't offer much. Great drives from Vettel, Ricciardo and Rosberg.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:27 pm

Whoops! I nearly forgot that it's this weekend that the Sepang Grand Prix is on. It's on in the early morning as well. Lewis is on pole. So that will not please people. :lol: Anyway, don't forget about it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Hamiltons turn for a good start. So will be a boring race up the front... The rest of the race could be quite good though.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:45 am

markopoloman wrote:Hamiltons turn for a good start. So will be a boring race up the front... The rest of the race could be quite good though.
You got your wish, MPM - his engine blew up! :lol: :lol:

I can't help but thinking that's the end of his of his WDC's chances now.

Elsewhere, Riccardio finally got his win. Possibly that's payback for losing Monaco. Good 1 and 2 for the Red Bulls.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 pm

Remember when Ferrari were best of the rest? :roll:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:50 pm

theantmeister wrote:Remember when Ferrari were best of the rest? :roll:
They need Ross Brawn back.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Well what a race! Lots of drama and battling throughout the field. Dan Vs Max certainly had shades of the epic Multi-21 wheel-to-wheel battle of 2013 when they were blasting around the bends side-by-side...great stuff!

Nothing against Hamilton in general but I had a mini celebration when the camera suddenly cut to his car with flames belching out of the back end :) . A dramatic failure is usually the only way that somebody else other than a Mercedes driver wins a race!

The podium celebration with all the sweaty boot action was probably the most entertaining podium I have ever seen :lol:

Alonso going from last to 7th was epic.

And some amusing Kimi radio:

> Engineer tells him he needs to back off
> "I'm trying to beat Rosberg"
> Engineer explains need to conserve battery power
> (a few laps later) "You need to give me all the power we have!"