Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by merman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:19 pm

Massa to retire at the end of the season
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:41 pm

merman wrote:Massa to retire at the end of the season
Ah thats sad. I feel bad he missed out in 2008 on the WDC to Hamilton in basically the last sector of the final lap of the championship - must have been so painful for him, and he probably thought he might have another crack at it again, but never materialised (the 2009 accident certainly didn't help, then Alonso took over at Ferrari).

A very capable driver, and on certain tracks seemed to give his team mates plenty to think about, including Alonso and Schumacher. Will be missed, as he seems a nice bloke as well.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Definitely a shame. One of the old guard gone. To be fair he was doing really well with the 2014/15 Williams cars' and still racking up podiums. This year's has just been a lacklustre machine.

Williams are supposed to be considering getting rid of both their drivers anyway this season I heard so it's likely that Massa either couldn't get another seat lined up elsewhere or just didn't want to hang around for too long with a lesser team as some drivers have in the past, gradually sliding down the grid into less and less competitive cars.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Bottas has turned out to be a bit of a waste of space. I remember all the fuss over him when he replaced Bruno Senna. Nothing seems to have come of it.

I'll miss Massa. He'll always be a world champion to me. I remember him back in the Sauber days he was a bit mental! He matured a lot in the Ferrari years. He totally deserved to be the next Brazilian world champion.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 pm

theantmeister wrote:Bottas has turned out to be a bit of a waste of space. I remember all the fuss over him when he replaced Bruno Senna. Nothing seems to have come of it.
He was great in '14 and '15 but this year less so. It's telling that Ferrari didn't follow up on the rumours of buying Bottas to replace Raikkonen.

Still, I'd like to see him in a properly consistent front-running car to see what he's really made of. Williams cars tend to be alright at some circuits then dreadful at others so it's quite difficult to evaluate the drivers sometimes.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Massa, good driver. He missed his great chance in 2008 (not because of his faults), and after the 2009 accident he did not return as fast IMO. After 2010 the relationship with Ferrari became stale, and Alonso was plain stronger anyway, he should have switched teams before.
Still, he totally deserved the 2008 championship and did reasonably well in his later year at Williams.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Oh! Hooray... both Mercs were way ahead of the rest. That should make for an exciting race! (Sarcasm mode on)..... :|
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 am

If "Crashgate" hadn't of happened in 2008 - then Massa would have been WDC. Sad to see him - as he seemed like a nice guy. Sadly, I think after the accident in Hungary in 2009 - he wasn't as fast as he was.

@MPM - I think we have to wait for 2017 before the Mercs are challenged - at this rate, I think it has to down to the Red Bulls to challenge them, because the Ferraris don't look up to it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:33 am

Katzkatz wrote:
@MPM - I think we have to wait for 2017 before the Mercs are challenged - at this rate, I think it has to down to the Red Bulls to challenge them, because the Ferraris don't look up to it.
Ferrari looked more capable today though, thanks to spending all their engine tokens now - probably explain why the Haas also qualified so far up, and also its a power circuit. This is probably Ferraris biggest chance of upsetting the Mercs.

Merc and Honda still have a few tokens left to upgrade, and Renault have 21 left! :shock: Surely Red Bull should be heaping pressure on Renault to use these development tokens as the Renault engine clearly needs more power! Are they just going to not use them, as there aren't that many races to go!?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Well... Button not racing next year. Apparently taking a sabbatical for a year with an option with McLaren in 2018 :? Vandoorne to prove himself against Alonso - and then McLaren will see what he will do when his contract is up...

So, will Button take his place in 2018 :?:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:56 am

Well, that's really disappointing. He's my favourite driver. :cry:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:14 am

markopoloman wrote:Well... Button not racing next year. Apparently taking a sabbatical for a year with an option with McLaren in 2018 :? Vandoorne to prove himself against Alonso - and then McLaren will see what he will do when his contract is up...

So, will Button take his place in 2018 :?:
I guess so. He'll probably remain sharp as test and reserve driver and ready for action if Vandoorne or Alonso have a crash. I think Alonso will be bored if the car is average next year (and it probably will be) and call it quits at the end of his contract, and Button will then have the option of getting that seat in 2018, or just retiring fully.

He's proved since his World Championship in 2009 that he is actually quite a competent driver. The confidence he got from that, along with giving Lewis and Alonso a decent run for their money, means his points totals at the end of each season have been relatively impressive. Very average qualifier, but like Alain Prost, had good race craft and intelligence to see that being a one-lap wonder isn't everything.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:42 am

Shame about Jenson. Maybe, he'll do a "Prost". :wink: Well - here's hoping he comes back.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:45 am

Katzkatz wrote:Shame about Jenson. Maybe, he'll do a "Prost". :wink: Well - here's hoping he comes back.
Ah yes, very true. Prost is his hero after all. I can't imagine though the McLaren in 2018 will be like the dominant Williams Renault of 1993, sadly!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:38 am

Wow, Rosberg actually won the Italian crowd over! Congratulations to him for the win.