Formula 1 2016 thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:37 pm

It is getting ever closer! The first launch of the season happened today - Renault! Back in as a full on team since selling up and going as just an engine supplier.
They have given themselves a target of 2018 to get back to the top..........

They have also 'thankfully' dropped Maldonado :D and replaced him with Kevin Magnussen to partner F1 newbie Jolyon Palmer. A jolly good move!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12040/ ... yon-palmer
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Re: Formula 1 2016 thread

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:40 pm

In other news:

F1 will scrap the engine token system from 2017 giving the manufacturers the chance to catch up if their engines are sh*te (like Honda). The only down side is 2016 will still have the crappy token system. 32 tokens per team.......

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 am

The Renault team should be quite decent in time. That team in its various guises has often punched well above its weight, and when its had significant funding (or when owned wholly by Renault), its been a race winning team. Two decent young drivers as well, so Pastor won't hold them back any further.

Will be interesting to see how Red Bull go with their Renault partnership now. Fully expect McLarens to be running midfield at best this season, and surely the Mercs will be the team to beat again.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:31 am

I'm going to miss Pastor. With Grosjean and Maldonado gone, I'm guessing the Renault engineers are celebrating not having to spend their saturday nights rebuilding race cars!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:30 am

Shame the new tyres that can be pushed to the limit won't appear till 2017 due to the new engine specs not being sorted.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:34 pm

theantmeister wrote:I'm going to miss Pastor. With Grosjean and Maldonado gone, I'm guessing the Renault engineers are celebrating not having to spend their saturday nights rebuilding race cars!
I'm going to miss the inevitable Maldonado accidents and the sly commentary about Pastor bringing in views for the car's sponsors by constantly having some sort of action happening :lol:

Can't see this year's Renault being any good given how it was apparently designed for a Merc engine.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Luca di Montezemolo says he has had an update on Schumey, and its not "good news", but hasn't elaborated further than that.... :|

I guess we all knew a reasonable recovery was unlikely.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Renault have made some pretty good engines in the past(the old turbo ones in their Renaults which powered both Prost and Arnoux, then Senna in his Lotus, then the aspirated ones in the Williams in the 1990s, some in Schumi's Benettons and then their success with Alonso in the 2000s). They do have the pedigree both as a constructor and an engine manufacturer. Hey, let us hope they can come good in the future seasons.

Elsewhere, my prediction is that it will still be a Mercedes walkover. Hey, some to be cynical. But - I think that's the reality at the moment in F1. However, I do think Ferrari will pick up a couple of wins with Vettel - and maybe that Kimi will call it a day at the end of the season(I hope not - as I like him - but he needs to up his game). I do think it's going to be another Hamilton and Rosberg battle. Rosberg is resilient - and those trio of wins at the end of the season, certainly put him on top. Can he beat Lewis over a season? Hmmmm, he might have a chance - if Lewis is unlucky in a lot of races(e.g. crashes out or mechanical failures) - and he can get a steady haul of points. Winning two titles on the trot might have drained some of Lewis' energy. Anyway, let us hope we have a decent battle this season - as last year - it was a little too easy for Lewis.

funkykong

Post by funkykong » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:51 am

Anyone going to Aus to watch the opening race?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:24 am

Katzkatz wrote:Winning two titles on the trot might have drained some of Lewis' energy. Anyway, let us hope we have a decent battle this season - as last year - it was a little too easy for Lewis.
Yeah, if Lewis carries on the way he ended last season Nico might have a chance. I suspect Lewis will come back fighting though.

No doubt Mercedes will walk away with it again :(

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:57 pm

The final seat is now taken - out with Will Steavens (Rubbish) and in with Rio Hairyarmpits thanks to 10 million dollars of oil money.

In more exciting news - 1st test days are nearly with us :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:51 am

markopoloman wrote:The final seat is now taken - out with Will Steavens (Rubbish) and in with Rio Hairyarmpits thanks to 10 million dollars of oil money.

In more exciting news - 1st test days are nearly with us :D
When is the first one? One team usually sandbags a bit (Merc or Ferrari).

I reckon Red Bull might surprise this year. Renault may be taking life a bit more seriously now they have a full team there, which surely can only benefit RB....who have had an excellent chassis since year dot.

If McLaren are once again rubbish, I wonder if Button or Alonso will just call it a day this season. It was always a gamble with Honda, but finishing 4th to 8th even with the superb Merc engine was probably about the optimum (although odd how Williams seem to have been doing quite nicely at times despite half the budget of McLaren).

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Monday 22 to Thursday 25 February :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:16 pm

The car launches are here!

FERRARI

McLaren

Williams

More launches later today - HAAS being one of them and testing starting Monday! The excitement is building :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:54 am

Was hoping McLaren would revert back to the old pre 1996 Red and white livery.