Gamesmaster 300th issue

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spirit of AHB

Gamesmaster 300th issue

Post by Spirit of AHB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 am

gamesmaster releases its 300th issue tomorrow quite an achievement after many long running magazines have closed down recently

any forum members have memories of the magazine or still read the magazine?

Sephiroth81

Re: Gamesmaster 300th issue

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:31 am

Spirit of AHB wrote:gamesmaster releases its 300th issue tomorrow quite an achievement after many long running magazines have closed down recently

any forum members have memories of the magazine or still read the magazine?
I'd have to check my magazines in the loft, but I don't think i've bought a Gamesmaster magazine since the 20th century (or at least very few)! It was a decent mag though from what I recall.

But great achievement, 25 years is that?? It was nice to have multiformat magazines though like Gamesmaster, CVG et al, as I found some of the system or manufacturer focused mags a bit childish and (obviously) biased. Particularly Nintendo publications who'd give virtually every game over 90%, and hurl playground insults at the other consoles on the market.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 am

Got a really vivid memory of picking up a copy when I was about 7/8 years old and reading the hell out of it, remember it being quiet a hefty issue and possibly had a F-15 Strike Eagle review for the GB and a walk-through for STOR2. Only picked it up off the back of watching the TV program.

Not read it for years, picked up a few issues in the PS1 era, but I was mainly an Official Playstation Magazine reader.

David

Post by David » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 am

This was always my favorite mag, and i bought it right up until ps2 and xbox era until i fell away from gaming for a few years.

Had a flick through one in asda recently but it seemed very kids orientated

Delighted to see it still going strong though and still using same title graphic from tv show

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 am

Never bought it, flicking through it at the newsies it always seemed too juvenile for me. Quite an achievement that it's maintained a young readershi long after the show died.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Spirit of AHB

Post by Spirit of AHB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 am

Post by David on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Had a flick through one in asda recently but it seemed very kids orientated

Delighted to see it still going strong though and still using same title graphic from tv show
yeah i guess that what is target audiance is now really, probably the same with other gaming magazines too i only really buy it from time to time it still good read though my first memory of it was via the tv show back in the day and of course the free cheats book that came with the magazine.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

I remember buying an issue back in the day and absolutely obsessing over SML2 on the Game Boy after reading their review. Bought a few other issues since then, but don't have any specific memories of those (again, many moons ago).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Did buy a few issues a year or so ago

Its gotten to the point where they have a 4 page spread on peoples Minecraft builds, a few pages for other games, social media guff about peoples opinion (got a mention), the retro section was interesting as they also looked back at past issues as well as some games

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:30 pm

I got the first issue at a car boot sale way back when, got the 100th issue when it was out and bought the 200th issue at a convention last year, so it'd make sense to try and get hold of the 300th issue...

Always a lot of fun, that magazine though - never took anything too seriously and had a few moments of "actual comedy". I remember one issue included a "FREE PlayStation 2" - which was actually a do-it-yourself cardboard model of one. Oh my sides.

They did a "Top 100 Games Ever" list for their hundredth issue, which was an interesting read... Readers voted South Park Rally as the 47th Greatest Game of All Time :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Blimey, didn't realise it was still being published!

I've got the first issue still somewhere here. A bit chucklesome as a mate of mine was on the writing staff and has his photo in the front, much that he doesn't like it heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm

I vaguely remember owning the first issue and a couple of others but not a magazine that I really got into.

It started whilst Total was running and I bought that more.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:08 am

I had a letter appear in one of their pages many moons ago related to Tamagotchi. I think it was the one with Pacman or Bomberman on the front.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:44 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Never bought it, flicking through it at the newsies it always seemed too juvenile for me. Quite an achievement that it's maintained a young readershi long after the show died.

Agreed, it contributed to the dumbing down of games magazines. Terrible, crowded design.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:28 pm

I had the first issue, I have no clue what happened to it. I think it stopped buying it when the Tv show ended
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:13 am

Scanning through the "100 most influential games of all time"

FIFA 09 is in there...Space Invaders is not. :roll:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue