The return of Robot Wars

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by necronom » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:24 pm

That was a great episode!


Apart from that one bit.
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

playzooki
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by playzooki » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:44 pm

i found the fights a bit dull really, except the mr speed squared heat and maybe the final but thats probably because ive been spoiled by watching the american battlebots! (for those interested, see this fight) Still an ok episode, I will watch the next one and see if it is any good.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15011
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:54 pm

I actually thought it was worse than last week. The fights that didn't include Thor were a bit dull and full of failures or breakdowns. Shame that the best robot (with a genuinely decent axe/hammer weapon for once) lost but that's just the way it goes.

On the plus side, the House Robots were a bit more aggressive this week (apart from Killalot!) and Dead Metal dished out a load of damage which was good to see.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Much better episode, Yes the robots themselves were a bit crappy (how bad must they have been if these are the best??), but the show itself was getting it's act together. Better presentation, with the presenters seeming to be more comfortbale in their roles, better and more humorous commentary and -at last! - a bit more aggression from the house robots. Loved the way that Matilda went after Foxit after 'cease!' was called.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Grizzly » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Great episode this week. Won't spoil anything but my god the winning robot sure could put on a show.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15011
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Yes this week's was probably the best so far. Looking on a wiki though, I don't believe any more of the past big hitters like Chaos 2, Hypnodisc or Tornado will be reappearing in this 2016 version which is a shame :( . Seems to be very flipper-dominated this year but then again, a lot of the classic seasons were the same.

(also, a part of me might be tuning in every week for Angela Scanlon...)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:27 am

Megamixer wrote:Yes this week's was probably the best so far. Looking on a wiki though, I don't believe any more of the past big hitters like Chaos 2, Hypnodisc or Tornado will be reappearing in this 2016 version which is a shame :( . Seems to be very flipper-dominated this year but then again, a lot of the classic seasons were the same.

(also, a part of me might be tuning in every week for Angela Scanlon...)
Yeah, a shame that a lot of the good robots, and also the great characters from earlier seasons aren't there. As well as the machines listed above there was also Cassius, Roadblock, Pussycat, but also some of the great characters like the Plunderbird boys, Chromalot boys and (my favourite) Rex Garrard etc. Hopefully some may return for the next series (surely there'll be one?!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15011
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:09 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Yes this week's was probably the best so far. Looking on a wiki though, I don't believe any more of the past big hitters like Chaos 2, Hypnodisc or Tornado will be reappearing in this 2016 version which is a shame :( . Seems to be very flipper-dominated this year but then again, a lot of the classic seasons were the same.

(also, a part of me might be tuning in every week for Angela Scanlon...)
Yeah, a shame that a lot of the good robots, and also the great characters from earlier seasons aren't there. As well as the machines listed above there was also Cassius, Roadblock, Pussycat, but also some of the great characters like the Plunderbird boys, Chromalot boys and (my favourite) Rex Garrard etc. Hopefully some may return for the next series (surely there'll be one?!)
...and Firestorm, Bigger Brother, 101, Diator, Wheelie Big Cheese...

Saying that, I think Thermidor is going to be a coming episode as I saw it on one of the workbenches in the background of the episode just gone :)

Oh and Roadblock...didn't that become 'The Beast of Bodmin'? Pretty sure the team re-skinned it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Bit annoyed at this week's episode. Suddenly the '10 second rule' comes out of the hat. There's been plenty of times this season when a robot has been immobile for longer and not been counted out. And in the case of immobility, the house robots should not be coming out of their CPZ until a 'bot is counted out. So there's a couple of fights where a robot has only be counted as beaten AFTER the end of the round - surely the 'CEASE' should be sounded as soon as a robot is classed as being defeated ie immobile for more than 10 seconds). In some ways this series has been really p[oorly refereed, with very little consistency in deeming who's won and when the house robots can wade n. Great that it's back, but they definitely need to apply rules consistently.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15011
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Too many matches this week with 'bots breaking down within seconds (about 3 head-to-heads if I remember rightly?) but that's just the way it is I guess.

Did think it was funny when Dead Metal started sawing into a beaten robot in the middle of the arena though - just for the hell of it!

Otherwise it was a pretty 'meh' episode.

The 'Wild Card' thing promised for the grand final is a bit of a dumb thing though if you ask me. So a robot squarely beaten in the heats can come back and theoritically defeat all those who advanced under their own steam? The only deserving candidate in my mind is Thor.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Grizzly » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 am

They seemed to really like Pulsar this week. It was unique to a degree so i am behind that. Good to see something other than a flipper or horizontal spinner get through. Not bad for the guy that made it considering he has no background in engineering. It definitely earned a second chance at first. The damage done to chompalots weapon was incredible.

Chompalot bursting into flames was also a highlight. Don't think i have ever seen that on Robot Wars before. Thing looked like it was made of paper.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15011
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:16 pm

The final was infinitely better than all of the heats I reckon. Shame that Carbide fell at the last hurdle with technical issues as the destruction it wreaked on the likes of Shockwave and Thor (and the arena!) was immense. I also reckon that the driver/robot combo of TR2 was better than Apollo but the latter was still a worthy winner in the end. Great end to what I personally thought has been a so-so revival. Will definitely watch a 2017 series if it gets made though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:41 pm

*spoilers*







Thought the grand final was a bit of a let down, but only due to a technical fault - hardly 'the great final we were all hoping for' as the announcers said at the end. Also thought it would be better for the Thor team to let another eliminated robot take their place rather than just send out a bot to be cannon fodder. Also a great shame to go with the same format as the first round, where 1 out of 3 bots gets eliminated in the first round. Obviously had to win a heat to get this far, so a shame to lose in one round. I get that in the heats you want to weed that the really poor ones (apart from Razer!) , but I would have gone with 1-on-1 battles right from the start of the final, as all the finalist robots deserve more than one round.


Overall really pleased to see it back, and hopefully with more teams getting interested the next series will be even better.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Grizzly
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by Grizzly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am

paranoid marvin wrote:*spoilers*







Thought the grand final was a bit of a let down, but only due to a technical fault - hardly 'the great final we were all hoping for' as the announcers said at the end. Also thought it would be better for the Thor team to let another eliminated robot take their place rather than just send out a bot to be cannon fodder. Also a great shame to go with the same format as the first round, where 1 out of 3 bots gets eliminated in the first round. Obviously had to win a heat to get this far, so a shame to lose in one round. I get that in the heats you want to weed that the really poor ones (apart from Razer!) , but I would have gone with 1-on-1 battles right from the start of the final, as all the finalist robots deserve more than one round.


Overall really pleased to see it back, and hopefully with more teams getting interested the next series will be even better.

I don't agree with the final being won on a technical fault. The weapon was disabled by the opposing team. Which is a valid strategy, In the end the better robot won.
I write for...
Image
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ALK
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:01 am

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by ALK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Well, the second season started last week. Just saw the 2nd episode which I thought was pretty good.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests