The return of Robot Wars

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm

As long as there's no 'ref-bot' - that was a terrible idea.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:21 pm

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:37 pm

* * spoiler for first episode ** * *

I'm confused... the cluster bot was clearly disabled, so I'm not sure how it got through the first round at the expense of one of the best machines in the tourney.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Unspoilery comments:
- Waaay too much drawn-out talking / montagey business. Felt like about 15 minutes of battles and 45 minutes of 'hey, let's meet the team for the 6th time'.
- If you are going to do a lot of talking, how about giving us a bit more of a history lesson on some of the robots/teams? I think the most they said about Razer, for instance, was that 'it had pedigree' and was 'one of the most recognisable robots', but that was about it! There were also some other old faces, some of whom had joined forces/made new robots, but hardly anything was said about that.
- Camera angles & transitions - did they have the intern handling them? Angles all over the place, unnecessarily zoomed-in shots and changes every 3 seconds. Was slightly easier to follow the head-to-heads but the brawls in the beginning were an absolute chore to keep track of.
- Seemed like Jonathan was a little behind/unwitting of some of the action. There were quite a few occasions where an apparently large amount of damage was done and there was no real reaction from him.

*** Spoilery comments: ***

- Carbide eventually looked pretty dominant. High-powered spinny blades look to be the order of the day again.
- Why people still seem to go with axes/hammers is beyond me. The ratio of failure/missing vs actual useful damage being done is incredibly in-favour of the former.
- Behemoth looked solid but glad they didn't win - their driver definitely puts the 'M' and 'E' in 'TEAM'. :lol:
- Couple of absolutely awful battles, especially the final. They should make them do over. ;)

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:01 pm

------------------spoilers ok mate---------------------

i wanted nuts to win because i had met the builders at some events (which are much more fun than this but on a much smaller scale)
razer driving into the pit was hilarious though

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:30 pm

I think this series will be about them working out what works and doesnt work so when they make another series, they can improve upon it (That and reintroduce Bash. :lol: ). Finally aware this was not going to be exactly 100% like the classic series, it was not too bad. Some improvements could had yes, but I found it alright.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Sureshot wrote:Unspoilery comments:
- Waaay too much drawn-out talking / montagey business. Felt like about 15 minutes of battles and 45 minutes of 'hey, let's meet the team for the 6th time'.
This was my main gripe too. That and the constant slow-mo shots of the teams in their garages or walking. To be fair I expected it though after reading a preview in a TV paper where one of the hosts mentioned having increased coverage of the "human element". I was like "WHY?!?". The old show got it spot-on with the amount of backstage interviewing.

House robots also seemed a little restrained. Dead Metal had a robot in it's grip at one point then just let it go without even using its sawblade. Killalot did bugger all as well.

Lack of Sgt Bash is still unforgivable though the mention of top-end 'bots costing in the region of £25,000 to build probably explains why 4 House robots was enough for the BBC to bankroll!

Disappointed in Razor though it didn't seem to be doing much damage to that robot that it was attacking anyway...would it have still cut the mustard later on in the tournament? It looked a far cry from the Razor that once destroyed Mathilda before she was set on fire and dumped in the pit!

Overall though it was "okay". Nostalgia for the old show will always win over but even looking at it critically, the new one was just not quite as good. I will definitely be watching the other episodes though. Hopefully some more legends like Hypnodisc, Chaos 2, Tornado, Firestorm and Pussycat will come back.
ALK wrote:I think this series will be about them working out what works and doesnt work
Just make it like the originals?!? They only went downhill once BBC sold it to Channel 5. I like Dara but he's no Craig Charles. There's less flamboyance and energy with the new show. Get the proper theme music back as well.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am

Watched it this morning on iPlayer, got half way through and decided to skip most of the talking, made the show a lot more enjoyable. The robot fighting was good, feel like the pit needs to be removed and the house robots to wade in, instead of having a timer.....fight to the death!!!!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:24 pm

I enjoyed it a lot.

Remember, it's now an hour-long programme compared to the original 45-minute episodes.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

There were times in the past when the house robots got a bit over-excited and probably were more aggressive than they should have been , but last night they were pathetic - in fact they might as well not have been there. Watching Sir Killlalot toasting a defeated robot, or dumping one on the flipper to be hurled around the arena was half the fun. In the past the robot that Razor beat would have been taken apart by the house robots, but instead Razor had to dump it in the pit - and ended up going out.

There already was a great formula - and it worked really well. Who thought the changes were an improvement?

But going back to my original point, my understanding from previous seasons (eg with Gemini) was that if a single cluster bot was disabled that was it - Razor was going round the arena with a cluster bot hanging from it's spike, whilst the other was lying dead in the arena - yet they went through?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:37 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:There were times in the past when the house robots got a bit over-excited and probably were more aggressive than they should have been , but last night they were pathetic - in fact they might as well not have been there. Watching Sir Killlalot toasting a defeated robot, or dumping one on the flipper to be hurled around the arena was half the fun. In the past the robot that Razor beat would have been taken apart by the house robots, but instead Razor had to dump it in the pit - and ended up going out.
Maybe the higher cost of building the new robots has given the House robot operators cause to hold back? Who knows what they've been told to do...

Used to love seeing Mathilda's flywheel blow robots apart, Growler slamming into them at high speed, Mr Psycho's hammer coming down or Killalot dumping 'bots down the pit. Come to think of it, where was the explosion effect in the pit?

Let's see what happens with the next few episodes first. I'm just glad that it's back.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:45 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:There were times in the past when the house robots got a bit over-excited and probably were more aggressive than they should have been , but last night they were pathetic - in fact they might as well not have been there. Watching Sir Killlalot toasting a defeated robot, or dumping one on the flipper to be hurled around the arena was half the fun. In the past the robot that Razor beat would have been taken apart by the house robots, but instead Razor had to dump it in the pit - and ended up going out.

There already was a great formula - and it worked really well. Who thought the changes were an improvement?

But going back to my original point, my understanding from previous seasons (eg with Gemini) was that if a single cluster bot was disabled that was it - Razor was going round the arena with a cluster bot hanging from it's spike, whilst the other was lying dead in the arena - yet they went through?
The ruling on cluster bots changed more than once. That early in the filming, it's understandable there would be some confusion over the rules.

And Matilda did get involved in that first episode. But I'd rather they stuck to the patrol zones. Given the extra battles to fight, the contestants need to be able to avoid unnecessary damage.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Thought it was great! Best robot won too!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 pm

*** SPOILERS ***

Bit of an upset that!

- Although I did think the axe was a bit underwhelming (as axes usually are), Thor had great manoeuvrability and an excellent driver. Very unlucky not to win.
- I don't think Shockwave will do very well in the final - too rough around the edges and too many vulnerable areas.
- Foxic was awful. :lol: Another 'M' and 'E' in 'TEAM' guy goes out again.
- Production-wise, seemed a bit better this week.