The return of Robot Wars

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

The return of Robot Wars

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:32 pm

http://arstechnica.co.uk/the-multiverse ... this-year/

About time! Wonder who (if anyone) will be back?

ALK

Re: The return of Robot Wars

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Hell yes, a real highlight of my Friday Evenings after school.

I believe they still use Matilda for the live shows but there was a recent Tweet of a photo of Sgt. Bash being shown out of a storage unit, so I guess that's related to this.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Might be a bit tame now compared to SyFy's Robot Combat League.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Craig Charles Verified account
‏@CCfunkandsoul

Okay guys. I've heard the news but as yet have had no contact with anyone involved in the new production of robot wars.#lovetodoit

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:30 pm

Robots have come a long way since then

Still waiting on that Japan vs US Mecha battle

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:12 am

Robot Wars was great, especially when an expensive bot gets completely scrapped. Watched a few matches the other day. Hypnodisc was a beast! That thing tore robots to shreds without much effort.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 am

Started watching series 1 again last night and I'd forgot that Clarkson was the original host.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Grizzly wrote:Robot Wars was great, especially when an expensive bot gets completely scrapped. Watched a few matches the other day. Hypnodisc was a beast! That thing tore robots to shreds without much effort.
Shame it often broke down or got hammered by the flipper style 'bots in later series'

From memory, the best robots that dominated the show were Roadblock, Hypnodisc, Chaos 2 and Razor. I was a huge Robot Wars fan, watching from the days of Clarkson right up to when it went to Channel 5 and was ruined by ads before being killed off.

The 'House' robots were the stars though (everybody loved the villains). My favourite was Dead Metal. Less said about the 'Refbot' the better but I remember it getting dumped into the pit during one match :lol: .What were everybody else's favourites?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Sgt Bash and Mr Psycho were awesome. The engineering on the house robots was incredible.
Going Solo...................

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Always a Killalot fan. Hope they're all been well looked after for all these years as well as Matilda and Bash have been.

Be interesting to see what familiar faces in the Roboter category we'll see. Probably not a lot of their older robots (Though I believe Behemoth still competes in the live shows) but it would be certainly interesting what new robots or upgrades they'd make (As well as seeing those Bigger Brother kids all grown up. :lol: )

Favorites were also Roadblock, Hypnodisc, Razor and I though Gemini was a neat idea even if it never went very far.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Loved this , and went to see it live - with Tedbot! :lol:

Phillippa was lovely , Craig a great host but Johnathan Pearce was the star of the show for me; his humorous commentary really made the show special.

The robots were great (Chaos 2 and Hypno-disk being 2 of the best, but I also had a soft spot for Pussycat) , but some of the owners were great two - remember the Plunderbird boys, and the ones who dressed up in tuxes and bow-ties?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:01 am

http://www.gamezone.com/news/jim-ross-a ... le-3432225
This
Would
be
AWESOME!!

If you dont know who he is here is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBXHbTgjVKk

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 am

Yeah best bots had to be Roadblock, Chaos 2 and Hypnodisc, even if the latter did lose!

Anyone remember Big Cheese? That bot had an impressive flipper on it, chucking one of its opponents out of the arena like it was nothing, from a few meters away from the bounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzEvuLZdmE
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:09 am

Great news, something entertaining again on the TV. Wonder if they will be allowed to have Raspberry Pi's in the robots and other stuff for more techo destruction.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:57 am

ALK wrote:Always a Killalot fan. Hope they're all been well looked after for all these years as well as Matilda and Bash have been.
Interesting that you say this as I checked out the Robot Wars Wikia page and it says that the BBC took back all of the House Robots from the original creator but the beeb were known for cannabilising electronics for other projects so nobody knows for sure if they are actually running or even complete :(

It also said that a private group were trying to purchase them all and restore the lot but I don't know if that ever happened.
Grizzly wrote: Anyone remember Big Cheese? That bot had an impressive flipper on it, chucking one of its opponents out of the arena like it was nothing, from a few meters away from the bounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmzEvuLZdmE
I loved the sound of the gas when the flippers went off :) . Near the end of the original run, I'm sure they did some sort of tournament where entrants from all over the world could compete and one of the flipper-based bots chucked another over the arena barriers :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.