Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:45 pm

dste wrote:
gman72 wrote: Vids is the one where people look at me blankly when I ask if they remember it.
Vids was that late night show for reviewing videos. On Channel 4. With those two guys. I do remember it being set in Scotland.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Jossie's Giants

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:15 pm

KNTV - it was on Channel 4 about 10 years ago, two CGI-animated teenagers from a fictional former Soviet republic introducing truly bizarre camcorder clips (taken from an actual Russian TV show IIRC) and disguising them as some kind of public information films.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
dste wrote:
gman72 wrote: Vids is the one where people look at me blankly when I ask if they remember it.
Vids was that late night show for reviewing videos. On Channel 4. With those two guys. I do remember it being set in Scotland.
I never said that :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 pm

gman72 wrote:I never said that :wink:
Yes you did, it's quoted right there on the internet so it must be true. :P

Katzkatz was right about the programme though. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Sledge Hammer

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Sledge Hammer
Someone lent me the box set of that almost a year ago, haven't got around to watching it yet :oops:

There was that thing on Channel 5 in the early years of the century where they'd set up hidden cameras to play jokes on thieves (like leaving a car unlocked, and when would-be car-nickers get inside it fills up with foam, or leaving a living room window open and when the potential burglar climbs inside they turn on the lights and it's a surprise party).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:05 pm

The incredible Smoo it looked like 'Blob' from Boy and his Blob don't think it spoke nobody remembers it

Robot Story the bad guys looked like White Cylones apart from White Wriggler a fat masked person and a voice that would constantly tell him "your the lowest of the lowest of the low"

Calamity Jane a brave star rip of with a female wasn't on for long I think
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Shinobi wrote:The incredible Smoo it looked like 'Blob' from Boy and his Blob don't think it spoke nobody remembers it

Robot Story the bad guys looked like White Cylones apart from White Wriggler a fat masked person and a voice that would constantly tell him "your the lowest of the lowest of the low"

Calamity Jane a brave star rip of with a female wasn't on for long I think
Its about time you added your list in this thread mate

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=52000

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Sledge Hammer
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" - his catchphrase. :lol: Yeah, shown on a the late night slot on ITV back in the 1980s. It was Airplane/Police Squad style humour. Shame, that very few people ever heard of it - or watched it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 am

Shinobi wrote:The incredible Smoo it looked like 'Blob' from Boy and his Blob don't think it spoke nobody remembers it
That's 'The New Shmoo, very popular round our way around the same time as Captain Caveman.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:32 am

Vids

I have dvd with a load of eps on it. Nige (mad Welsh bloke) and Stef (dour Scots bloke) reviewing vhs videos. Cracking show. Nige was offering free downloads on his website a few years ago.
Going Solo...................

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:34 am

Here's a few which when mentioned my mates just look dull at me (which have already been mentioned in this thread)

Get Stuffed - Students show you how to cook for pennies (did anyone actually try a recipe though?)

Vidz (or was its Vids?) - Two men (Scottish/Welsh) review films from their video shop. Very funny for its time and they would review films that wouldn't get a mention anywhere else at the time e.g. Managa

Tour of Duty - An american TV based around a group of soldiers during the Vietnam war. A great show, if a little 'timid' these days. Begging for a TV re-make. Great use of 'Paint it Black' as an opening tune too.

Sledge Hammer - Do I need to explain this one? To my ill-informed mates I do!

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:46 am

joefish wrote:Now one I really struggle to recall was a made-for-TV-movie that was shown around Christmas in the early 70s, and all I remember of it was one or more shrunken human characters (and possibly toy chracters) riding off on the back of a primary coloured toy train in a huge white room, saddened at being separated as the tracks diverge, possibly then waking from this a dream. I've looked at all the variations on the 'Babes in Toyland' story I can find, and none of them fit...
RetroAerosmith wrote:Sort of sounds like "Quincys Quest" made in like 79,tv panto type
thing thats never been repeated. its on youtube too and worth a rewatch just for the ad breaks in between. It has songs in it though as it has Tommy Steele in it.
OK, how you got that from my feeble description of my flimsy (and mostly false, as it turns out) childhood memories of it I'll never know, but that's the one. Thanks! It's been bugging me for decades! When you mentioned Tommy Steele, I thought you were definitely onto something. I'm pretty sure we watched it at my Gran's, either picking her up or taking her home after Christmas that year, so it would have been constantly interrupted!

He's not dreaming; he's a reject doll in tatty red dungarees trying to make it through the toy department of a huge store to reach Santa on Christmas Eve. Interesting that rather than all traditional toys, it featured contemporary ones such as robots with 'lasers' and even an Airfix Super Flight Deck. The plain white and black backgrounds that I remember were simply to cover cheap model effects. He wasn't separated from someone on the train - the points were switched to cause it to crash (though I don't remember the witch trying to sabotage his journey). The tragic bit at the end, where his ladyfriend passes out and he's left in the middle of the floor calling out for Santa as they both turn back into dolls - that brought it all back!

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:01 am

Sledge Hammer was hilarious. I especially liked the Robocop spoof episode 'Hammeroid' - you can find it on YouTube. And a cheap gag at the start of the final series after Sledge failed to defuse a nuclear device last time and it wiped out the city. The new series starts with the 'previously on Sledge Hammer...' clip of a nuclear explosion, then a curt announcement that the following took place two years before that incident. The titles for 'Sledge Hammer' come up with the words 'The Early Years' addded briefly at the bottom of the screen.

There was another comedy cop show made for the Sci-Fi channel not so long ago called G vs E (Good vs Evil). It lasted for two series and had a plot about demons and Faustian deals in Hollywood (that was basically stolen by the film RIPD). Lots of visual gags and cameos regarding fading TV and movie stars either on the 'wanted' boards or as informants.

For some reason I got the impression Tour of Duty was Aussie or NZ related somehow. I guess not. I loved the theme tune, but was surprised to hear the full version of Paint It Black, which goes a bit mental just after the bit used for the titles fades out! I remember it covering more 'issues' like bullying and racism than really being about combat. And I remember them ending a 'racism' episode with 'Have You Ever Seen The Rain', and I suspect it might have been the Bonnie Tyler version where she completely shreds the Creedance Clearwater Revival original...

OK, here's a few people probably will remember, but only when prompted:

The Tale of the Bunny Picnic - A Jim Henson special for HBO and the BBC featuring the first appearance of the brilliant Bean Bunny Muppet, who was later the little boy with the sledge who Scrooge sends to get the turkey at the end of The Muppet Christmas Carol - and of course the dog, De-Dop-De-Diddly-Dog Bop.

Laff-A-Lympics - Various increasingly obscure Hannah-Barbera characters separated into teams and taking part in silly sports challenges, like a cross between Wacky Races and It's a Knockout. Except Dick Dastardly and Muttley were substituted for their look-alike 'twins' due to a rights issue. Oddly, like the superhero Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, I'm not sure if I remember actually seeing episodes of these on TV as I mostly remember them from a cartoon annual. Though there is a recent Scooby Doo movie where they use the Blue Falcon character and actor in a plot based around a Batman-like dark remake (although Scooby Doo has teamed up with the real Batman before, apparently...)