Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Wattoo Wattoo , Super Bird. No one I know ever heard of it . was it a fever dream?

Sport Billy - again , chatted about it online but no real world friends have a clue.

Just a Gigolo - with Tony Slattery. Seemed funny at the time but think it got canned as only I remember it even existing.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 pm

shiftytigger wrote: Sport Billy - again , chatted about it online but no real world friends have a clue.
Maybe they're too young! Me and all my mates remember Sport Billy from the footy World Cups. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Sureshot wrote:The game show Lost. I literally haven't spoken to one other person who watched it. Probably because it was on at about 2AM and only 15 episodes were aired in total.
The UK version of the show was produced for Channel 4 by Windfall Films, and shown in October 2001. In the UK the show was narrated by Mat Fraser.[2]

Five sets of three episodes were broadcast in which teams were abandoned in Northern Russia, Mali in West Africa near Timbuktu, Venezuela in South America, the province of Quebec in Canada, and the former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan. The UK teams had to race back to Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London, except in the final race from Azerbaijan, where the destination was the Angel of the North statue in Gateshead. The first team to arrive at the destination in each race won a prize of £5,000. The winning team from each race was brought back to compete again the following week, against two new teams.

Each team member and camera person was provided at the start with three days' food and water and a small amount of money. In the first two races the participants were given U.S. $200 cash each. For the third race from Venezuela the funds were in the form of an amount of gold and uncut diamonds roughly equivalent to £150. In the fourth race the cash was reduced to U.S. $150, and teams found out during the race that they were restricted from flying until they made their way from Quebec all the way across the continent of North America to Los Angeles. For the final race from Azerbaijan the funds were reduced again, to only $80, and there was a restriction against taking international flights.

Scheduling of the program in a late night slot meant it reached only a limited audience. The UK version was repeated on a cable channel a few months after the first showing.
Honorable mentions to Spiral Zone and Dick Spanner.
I used to love the spiral zone.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Sureshot wrote:censored Spanner
I'll see your censored Spanner and raise the stakes with Crapston Villas.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Up until a few weeks ago when i tidied out the spare room i had crapston villas on vhs. Love it.

Could never find series 2 whem flossie moves in with the wee taxi guy, wonder if its online

Love the granny

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

What about some other late night 90s gold

Let the blood run free

Funky squad

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Dick Spanner was fantastic!

Got it on DVD a few years ago, but the jazzy background music had been replaced with a load of cartoon robot noises, so I got the VHS set as well :D

Crapston Villas, that one's good too - most of them are on YouTube.

Anyone remember Beastly Behaviour? One-minute-long animated shorts about the various strange mating habits of the animal kingdom.

How To Be A Little Sod was good as well - a bit like Look Who's Talking only the baby was animated, and voiced by Rik Mayall.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 pm

How about...

Space Vets - Title's a giveaway, vets in space. Lots of puppets in this one as well.

Monster TV, about a kid who keeps a pair of monsters in his basement, and they make TV shows together. A sexy Medusa keeps trying to mess it up for some reason.

Glam Metal Detectives, strange and hilarious stuff.

Aquila, two kids find an ancient Roman spaceship that can turn invisible and so on.

There's A Viking Under My Bed, a kid who lives in a hotel has a secret friend who's a Viking somehow.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:16 pm

silvergunner wrote:Actually I just remembered back in the 80's we used to watch at school a series called dark towers.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0140734/

Don't remember anything about it now other than the whole class loved it.

Dark towers was part of the "wordy" look and read things, christopher biggins is in it..beware of 2bees buzzing together..its on youtube anyway along with the boy from space.

A recent addition to my dvd stuff infound was "Tottie- tales from a dolls house" which was an Oliver Postgate rarity.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm

joefish wrote:Everyone remembers Moondial and The Box of Delights - the latter because of the haunting theme music, a medley on The First Nowell from the third movement of The Carol Symphony (Barry Rose and the Pro Arte Orchestra at Guildford Cathedral for EMI if you want the specific recording).

For really obscure, the title no-one remembers is The Enchanted Castle, which is the BBC children's one with the white statues - including a huge diplodocus - that are brought to life by magic.

Now one I really struggle to recall was a made-for-TV-movie that was shown around Christmas in the early 70s, and all I remember of it was one or more shrunken human characters (and possibly toy chracters) riding off on the back of a primary coloured toy train in a huge white room, saddened at being separated as the tracks diverge, possibly then waking from this a dream. I've looked at all the variations on the 'Babes in Toyland' story I can find, and none of them fit...
Sort of sounds like "Quincys Quest" made in like 79,tv panto type
thing thats never been repeated. its on youtube too and worth a rewatch just for the ad breaks in between. It has songs in it though as it has Tommy Steele in it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:32 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:How about...

Space Vets - Title's a giveaway, vets in space. Lots of puppets in this one as well.

Monster TV, about a kid who keeps a pair of monsters in his basement, and they make TV shows together. A sexy Medusa keeps trying to mess it up for some reason.

Glam Metal Detectives, strange and hilarious stuff.

Aquila, two kids find an ancient Roman spaceship that can turn invisible and so on.

There's A Viking Under My Bed, a kid who lives in a hotel has a secret friend who's a Viking somehow.
Aquila was great, I always wondered if Battle Engine Aquila on the Xbox got the idea for its name from there (Aquila being Latin for Eagle)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 pm

djcarlos wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Hmmm, maybe a few old childrens' TV shows, like :-

Moondial(old BBC children's drama)
Just released on DVD mate! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moondial-DVD-Si ... B00U03PKSY
Cheers, DJ Carlos.

Yeah - I remember things like The Box of Delights - and of course with the ending SPOILERS that it was all a dream!.

I remember D1ck Spanner as well. Saw it on Channel 4 as a kid. I got off of a torrent a few years before it was released on DVD.

LOL. Yeah - "Wordy". With "Magic Magic E"! LOL. I remember that was on every Friday in the morning. In primary school, as an infant, go to the TV room and sit down and watch that. Then back to more "word practise".

The great man himself :-

And his most famous song(I wonder why it was sometimes misinterpreted):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Gq17O-HRc

Yeah, I remember The Machine Gunners. I think the BBC did that one. Plus, I also had to study it for English in secondary school(the book - and I think we did watched it as well).

On that same note - does anyone remember Buddy. It was based on the book that you have to cover for English at secondary school(according to Wikipedia - it's still covered). It co-starred Roger Daltrey as the dad of "Buddy". It was a tale of a young boy who discovers his dad is involved in crime - deals with things like school life, racism, crime, parental breakup, etc. It's up on YouTube. The BBC made that one. There was also a sequel - a film this time. Daltrey came back, and Chesney Hawkes was in it(yes : "I am the one and only!", etc.). It was based on a book as well. I have never seen it though.

Yeah, I do remember The Centurions. That was shown on ITV's Get Fresh. It was a cartoon. It featured three soldiers who had the ability to have an exo skeletion. One did air stuff(helicopter, plane, etc.), one did sea stuff(boats, submarines, etc.) and one land(tanks, etc.). It was quite fun at the time.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:51 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Actually I just remembered back in the 80's we used to watch at school a series called dark towers.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0140734/

Don't remember anything about it now other than the whole class loved it.

Dark towers was part of the "wordy" look and read things, christopher biggins is in it..beware of 2bees buzzing together..its on youtube anyway along with the boy from space.
They also did The Boy From Space which entranced me as a child, the boy from space was called Peep Peep. They did the one with the falcons and the birds eggs. Look and Read with the floating orange ball called Wordy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIbEoG ... HA&index=1
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Shane
Whittle
Sunnyside farm
Get the picture

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:12 pm

gman72 wrote:They also did The Boy From Space which entranced me as a child, the boy from space was called Peep Peep. They did the one with the falcons and the birds eggs. Look and Read with the floating orange ball called Wordy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIbEoG ... HA&index=1
Wordy and the thin man are pretty much the only two things I remember from Look and Read. The Boy From Space was from 1971 yet I watched it at school around 1990. They are probably still showing it today. :lol:
Katzkatz wrote:Yeah, I do remember The Centurions. That was shown on ITV's Get Fresh. It was a cartoon. It featured three soldiers who had the ability to have an exo skeletion. One did air stuff(helicopter, plane, etc.), one did sea stuff(boats, submarines, etc.) and one land(tanks, etc.). It was quite fun at the time.
I loved The Centurions when I was younger, haven't seen it in years.

I remember censored Spanner, use to enjoy watching it. It was shown as part of Network 7 which I cannot remember anything else about.

Vids is the one where people look at me blankly when I ask if they remember it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!