Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stayAwhile

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:43 pm

I remeber a tv show along the lines of weird things caught on camcorders back in the 90s and at the time i was about 10 or 11 and ther was a tv set that was unplugged and it switched it self on to a static screen and a face forms in the static and starts singing mary had a little lamb in a slow motion robotic montone voice now it creeped the frak out of me but I'm wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me and it may be a scene out of a movie but i'm sure it was a tv show but only i seem to remeber it.

but i saw a creepy pasta recently that once again reminded me of this strange show the creepy pasta claims a group of aldults remembered watching a piriate show as kids with all sorts of weird imagray ect and one guy asked his mum why did you let me watch it and his mum, replied, you used to sit in front of a static tv set late at night and tell me it was your faveroute tv show about pirates.

but if anyone knows of the mary had a little lamb thing let me know.

oh and also i seem to have vauge memorys of watching tv late at night as a child and zoning out and next thing i know the screen was static but i remebered hearing voices and seeing an astronaught whislt i was a bitr spaced out, since then I have been informed back in the 80's and 90's when the bbc used to have a shut down time some of the night staff would play messages to their friends or just test messages to test frequencies can anyone confirm this since no one else knows of it realy.
This guy are sick

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:26 pm

stayAwhile wrote:but i saw a creepy pasta recently that once again reminded me of this strange show the creepy pasta claims a group of aldults remembered watching a piriate show as kids with all sorts of weird imagray ect and one guy asked his mum why did you let me watch it and his mum, replied, you used to sit in front of a static tv set late at night and tell me it was your faveroute tv show about pirates.
Candle Cove, I remember it well :wink:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

This might be one that people remember - but what about Chorlton and the Wheelies. The kids' TV show with those wheely things, Fennella the Witch and Chorlton the Dragon. Fennella lived in a black kettle. I watched a few of them on YouTube(just for research purposes :lol: ). It used to be shown on ITV(back in the regional days).

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 am

Always loved Chorlton, fenella was welsh sounding iirc.it would have been shown in the dinnertime hour around rainbow or lets pretend time. Nothing wrong with youtubing old kids stuff as its usually tonnes better than the rubbish they show kids these days. I came close to buying complete bagpuss dvd for £3 yesterday funnily enough.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:03 am

Yeah, I remember Chorlton (named after the area of Manchester where Cosgrove Hall were based, in fact it was used as the "pun", like Paddington Bear, as to why Chorlton was given his name in the show). Also remember the minor complaints about the Germanic sounding spellbook (Claptrap von Spilldabeans) that Fenella owned having a Star of David on the front.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Mayhem wrote:Yeah, I remember Chorlton (named after the area of Manchester where Cosgrove Hall were based, in fact it was used as the "pun", like Paddington Bear, as to why Chorlton was given his name in the show). Also remember the minor complaints about the Germanic sounding spellbook (Claptrap von Spilldabeans) that Fenella owned having a Star of David on the front.
I remember being off school with a bad cold, running a temperature. Watching Chorlton was a mistake, thought I was hallucinating!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:02 pm

merman wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Yeah, I remember Chorlton (named after the area of Manchester where Cosgrove Hall were based, in fact it was used as the "pun", like Paddington Bear, as to why Chorlton was given his name in the show). Also remember the minor complaints about the Germanic sounding spellbook (Claptrap von Spilldabeans) that Fenella owned having a Star of David on the front.
I remember being off school with a bad cold, running a temperature. Watching Chorlton was a mistake, thought I was hallucinating!
LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: Like a lot of Kids' TV programs - it's a bit out there(like The Magic Roundabout).

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Did anyone ever watch the US sci-fi show Now and Again? It got shown on ITV 1 in the early 2000s, it was on really late at night(11.00 or later). It also got a run on the SyFy channel around the same time, and was re-shown on ITV 4 a few years ago. It was about a middle aged man who gets killed in a subway accident, and his brain is saved and implanted into a genetically created man, who is superhuman(strength, agility, hearing, etc.). It starred John Goodman and Dennis Haybert(the President David Palmer from 24). It was quite an interesting premise. It only lasted for 22 episodes and ended on a major cliffhanger.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:19 am

Katzkatz wrote:Did anyone ever watch the US sci-fi show Now and Again? It got shown on ITV 1 in the early 2000s, it was on really late at night(11.00 or later). It also got a run on the SyFy channel around the same time, and was re-shown on ITV 4 a few years ago. It was about a middle aged man who gets killed in a subway accident, and his brain is saved and implanted into a genetically created man, who is superhuman(strength, agility, hearing, etc.). It starred John Goodman and Dennis Haybert(the President David Palmer from 24). It was quite an interesting premise. It only lasted for 22 episodes and ended on a major cliffhanger.
John Goodman is only in the first episode before he falls under the train. Eric Close who was the superhuman guy turned up in Suits as Travis Tanner. Drove me crazy working out where I knew him from. Thank you IMDB. It used to be on in the same time slot as the War of the Worlds TV series, which was pretty good in the first season, when it was all creepy alien conspiracy, but had the standard thing of not getting the ratings but getting renewed but completely retooled into your standard post-apocalyptic future, losing the audience it had without getting any new viewers, and getting cancelled.

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:42 am

Treguard wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Did anyone ever watch the US sci-fi show Now and Again? It got shown on ITV 1 in the early 2000s, it was on really late at night(11.00 or later). It also got a run on the SyFy channel around the same time, and was re-shown on ITV 4 a few years ago. It was about a middle aged man who gets killed in a subway accident, and his brain is saved and implanted into a genetically created man, who is superhuman(strength, agility, hearing, etc.). It starred John Goodman and Dennis Haybert(the President David Palmer from 24). It was quite an interesting premise. It only lasted for 22 episodes and ended on a major cliffhanger.
John Goodman is only in the first episode before he falls under the train. Eric Close who was the superhuman guy turned up in Suits as Travis Tanner. Drove me crazy working out where I knew him from. Thank you IMDB. It used to be on in the same time slot as the War of the Worlds TV series, which was pretty good in the first season, when it was all creepy alien conspiracy, but had the standard thing of not getting the ratings but getting renewed but completely retooled into your standard post-apocalyptic future, losing the audience it had without getting any new viewers, and getting cancelled.
I absolutely loved Now & Again, over the years many good shows have been cancelled, but if I had the power to bring back just one, it would be Now & Again.
Also John Goodman was in two episodes, there was a later episode where Eric Close kept blanking out for unknown reasons and it did a flashback to John Goodman and basically he had some sort of photo sensitive epilepsy.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Belgarath wrote:
Treguard wrote:
I absolutely loved Now & Again, over the years many good shows have been cancelled, but if I had the power to bring back just one, it would be Now & Again.

Also John Goodman was in two episodes, there was a later episode where Eric Close kept blanking out for unknown reasons and it did a flashback to John Goodman and basically he had some sort of photo sensitive epilepsy.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that Eric Close played the superhuman guy. Yep, I remember the "epilepsy" episode - it involved him getting it off of some train gates signals, and being on the run with the Doctor. Also, remember the creepy "Egg Man" and his poisons in the eggs?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who remembers that series. Shame that it got cancelled.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Does anyone remember RUN THE GAUNTLET. teams of kids would race each other in buggies, trikes, hovercrafts etc.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:51 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Does anyone remember RUN THE GAUNTLET. teams of kids would race each other in buggies, trikes, hovercrafts etc.
Yes. There was also a game based on it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:10 pm

I had the game for the Amstrad. I think it was the hit squad budget label version.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:52 am

Did anyone ever catch the re-imagined The Invisible Man series in the early 2000s. It was on late at night on ScFi(now SyFy). It had the whole "invisible man" concept, but this time it was an ex-thief who instead of going to jail, had this special gland implanted into him, which emits a substance called "quicksilver" which turns him invisible. It only ran for two seasons. There were a few notable guest stars(Wil Wheaton - Wesley from Star Trek : TNG and Armin Shimerman - Quark from Star Trek : DS9). It was quite an interesting series.