Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

The three main ones for me are Q.E.D which had Sam Waterston in it even though it was set in britain, Salvage which was on around the time of the A-Team and a kids programme called Brendon Chase which was about some brothers who ran away to live in a forest.

I used to draw blank stares whenever I mentioned Bring 'Em Back Alive but I've since gained an acquintance who is involved with a Bruce Boxleitner fanclub. She's the other person who watched it I presume.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:34 am

psj3809 wrote:The Machine Gunners

That's a classic kids book from my childhood. A few years ago I tracked down a load of books I read when I was a kid and I was astonished at how adult The Machine Gunners was.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am

The game show Lost. I literally haven't spoken to one other person who watched it. Probably because it was on at about 2AM and only 15 episodes were aired in total.
The UK version of the show was produced for Channel 4 by Windfall Films, and shown in October 2001. In the UK the show was narrated by Mat Fraser.[2]

Five sets of three episodes were broadcast in which teams were abandoned in Northern Russia, Mali in West Africa near Timbuktu, Venezuela in South America, the province of Quebec in Canada, and the former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan. The UK teams had to race back to Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London, except in the final race from Azerbaijan, where the destination was the Angel of the North statue in Gateshead. The first team to arrive at the destination in each race won a prize of £5,000. The winning team from each race was brought back to compete again the following week, against two new teams.

Each team member and camera person was provided at the start with three days' food and water and a small amount of money. In the first two races the participants were given U.S. $200 cash each. For the third race from Venezuela the funds were in the form of an amount of gold and uncut diamonds roughly equivalent to £150. In the fourth race the cash was reduced to U.S. $150, and teams found out during the race that they were restricted from flying until they made their way from Quebec all the way across the continent of North America to Los Angeles. For the final race from Azerbaijan the funds were reduced again, to only $80, and there was a restriction against taking international flights.

Scheduling of the program in a late night slot meant it reached only a limited audience. The UK version was repeated on a cable channel a few months after the first showing.
Honorable mentions to Spiral Zone and Dick Spanner.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 am

RodimusPrime wrote: no one ever seems to remember

Fall guy
You will if you ever played the balls-hard Speccy game of it. Good lord, that was brutal.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:22 am

Mire Mare wrote:Dempsey and Makepeace, Hunter, Spender and Yellowthread Street, Manimal, Automan usually draw a few blanks expressions. Or nods of agreement and understanding whilst the eyes say 'What planet are you from'!

Loved TJ Hooker and Fall Guy.

Manimal was great! Automan was a bit too cheesey and bollox for me. Hunter was good.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:30 am

I somehow watched 'Vegas' when i was younger. Anyone remember that ?

I remember having the small 'Dinky' metal car from the show, it was a big red convertible 1950's style car which was cool. Dont know why on earth i watched that program but back then i seemed to like it

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 am

Everyone remembers Moondial and The Box of Delights - the latter because of the haunting theme music, a medley on The First Nowell from the third movement of The Carol Symphony (Barry Rose and the Pro Arte Orchestra at Guildford Cathedral for EMI if you want the specific recording).

For really obscure, the title no-one remembers is The Enchanted Castle, which is the BBC children's one with the white statues - including a huge diplodocus - that are brought to life by magic.

Now one I really struggle to recall was a made-for-TV-movie that was shown around Christmas in the early 70s, and all I remember of it was one or more shrunken human characters (and possibly toy chracters) riding off on the back of a primary coloured toy train in a huge white room, saddened at being separated as the tracks diverge, possibly then waking from this a dream. I've looked at all the variations on the 'Babes in Toyland' story I can find, and none of them fit...
Last edited by joefish on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:49 am

Bring em Back Alive... like Indiana Jones in a plane.

The Adventure Game.

The Wall Game... very early Lloyd Grossman vehicle.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:50 am

At least a few people seem to remember Tales of the Gold Monkey. I've got it on DVD as I missed most of it back when it was broadcast.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 am

The Beans wrote:The three main ones for me are Q.E.D which had Sam Waterston in it even though it was set in britain, Salvage which was on around the time of the A-Team and a kids programme called Brendon Chase which was about some brothers who ran away to live in a forest.

I used to draw blank stares whenever I mentioned Bring 'Em Back Alive but I've since gained an acquintance who is involved with a Bruce Boxleitner fanclub. She's the other person who watched it I presume.
I remember back in the 80's watching a 'TV Movie' that was a pilot for a TV series that wasn't picked up, it starred Bruce Boxleitner as the head of a dirty dozen style squad in the Pacific during WWII fighting the Japanese using vehicles they built from crashed planes and the like. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else, can't even find it on his Wikipedia page. Don't suppose you'd have any idea?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 am

Who remembers 'Captain Zep - Space detective' ?

They used to have ropey handdrawn backgrounds, at the time i loved that show but i bet its aged really badly now

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 am

Sureshot wrote:The game show Lost. I literally haven't spoken to one other person who watched it. Probably because it was on at about 2AM and only 15 episodes were aired in total.
The UK version of the show was produced for Channel 4 by Windfall Films, and shown in October 2001. In the UK the show was narrated by Mat Fraser.[2]

Five sets of three episodes were broadcast in which teams were abandoned in Northern Russia, Mali in West Africa near Timbuktu, Venezuela in South America, the province of Quebec in Canada, and the former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan. The UK teams had to race back to Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London, except in the final race from Azerbaijan, where the destination was the Angel of the North statue in Gateshead. The first team to arrive at the destination in each race won a prize of £5,000. The winning team from each race was brought back to compete again the following week, against two new teams.

Each team member and camera person was provided at the start with three days' food and water and a small amount of money. In the first two races the participants were given U.S. $200 cash each. For the third race from Venezuela the funds were in the form of an amount of gold and uncut diamonds roughly equivalent to £150. In the fourth race the cash was reduced to U.S. $150, and teams found out during the race that they were restricted from flying until they made their way from Quebec all the way across the continent of North America to Los Angeles. For the final race from Azerbaijan the funds were reduced again, to only $80, and there was a restriction against taking international flights.

Scheduling of the program in a late night slot meant it reached only a limited audience. The UK version was repeated on a cable channel a few months after the first showing.
Honorable mentions to Spiral Zone and Dick Spanner.
The worlds most powerful heroes are our only defence against the Spiral Zone?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 am

Actually I just remembered back in the 80's we used to watch at school a series called dark towers.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0140734/

Don't remember anything about it now other than the whole class loved it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 am

Treguard wrote:
The Beans wrote:The three main ones for me are Q.E.D which had Sam Waterston in it even though it was set in britain, Salvage which was on around the time of the A-Team and a kids programme called Brendon Chase which was about some brothers who ran away to live in a forest.

I remember back in the 80's watching a 'TV Movie' that was a pilot for a TV series that wasn't picked up, it starred Bruce Boxleitner as the head of a dirty dozen style squad in the Pacific during WWII fighting the Japanese using vehicles they built from crashed planes and the like. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else, can't even find it on his Wikipedia page. Don't suppose you'd have any idea?
Probably The Road Raiders. Check it out on IMDB if there's no info on wiki.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:The Machine Gunners

Some kids drama in the 80's about the blitz. There was a (ahem) 'simple' character in it who kept shouting 'where you going now ?' in a geordie accent. Cue my mate saying that over and over in the late 80's.
Based on the classic Robert Westall novel!