Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:54 am

joefish wrote: And all those who remember Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and how they ruined it in the second series, may be surprised on re-watching the opening to the pilot - a montage of dancing girls and lyrics sung to the closing theme. And the pilot was actually shown in some cinemas.
Yep, I remember Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The pilot was indeed shown in some cinemas, on its first release. It's a 15! I think that's mainly for the sexual innuendo in it. Seems a bit OTT. It used to get reshown on the BBC a lot. I think the TV series was first shown on ITV. It then got reshown in the DEF II slot on BBC 2 in the 1990s, on a Wednesday at 6:00PM. "Beedy, beedy, beedy!" :lol: The voice of Mel Blanc doing that. Yeah, the third season was a bit weird - for some reason, Buck was on a spaceship rather than Earth, and then they had that Birdman join him.

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I used to spend a bit of time at my nan's, and she used to watch all the mystery type shows, like Murder, She Wrote and Columbo. Both of which everybody knows and remembers. But there was another one I used to watch there, that doesn't appear to have too much info on it. It was a vet mystery series, and was called One By One. Never seem to find much about it, or find many others who remember it/watched it.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by merman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm

thingonaspring wrote:I used to spend a bit of time at my nan's, and she used to watch all the mystery type shows, like Murder, She Wrote and Columbo. Both of which everybody knows and remembers. But there was another one I used to watch there, that doesn't appear to have too much info on it. It was a vet mystery series, and was called One By One. Never seem to find much about it, or find many others who remember it/watched it.
I loved One By One.
It was inspired by the Zoovet books by David Taylor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_T ... erinarian)


Anyone else remember these?

The Great Egg Race - teams built unusual contraptions out of junk, usually to transport a fragile egg

Take Nobody's Word For It - spin-off from Egg Race, featuring unusual science tricks and feats (like the stuff Stephen Fry does on QI)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26621
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 pm

merman wrote:The Great Egg Race - teams built unusual contraptions out of junk, usually to transport a fragile egg
Who could forget Professor Heinz Wolff?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9350
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Earth 3

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:46 pm

The Great Egg Race was brilliant and I seem to remember Carol Vorderman on Take Nobodies Word For It, Now Get Out Of That was pretty good as well.
Splink!

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Sputryk wrote:I went to see the pilot in the cinema. :)
I'm sure I have the right film, and if so it is the only scene I remember as it was such an obvious blooper: Shatner all the way through the film was wearing a dark shirt with collar down, but for one momentary scene it's a white shirt with collar up? Never seen the movie since its first appearance on tv all those years ago.
I don't recall seeing any promotion of it for the cinema, but then I was only a little'un at the time and as a family we never went to the cinema since the 1979 re-issue of 101 Dalmations right up until The Lion King! Come to think of it, the only movie poster sites I remember seeing regularly were on hoilday by the coast, so I'd have only heard of 70s movies if they were on in August!

Anyway, it was Gil Gerard, not teh Shat.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3070
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 am

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
merman wrote:The Great Egg Race - teams built unusual contraptions out of junk, usually to transport a fragile egg
Who could forget Professor Heinz Wolff?
I got to meet him at the National Space Centre (Leicester's Space Museum) a few years ago when we were doing a LEGO exhibiton. Got a signed photo and a shot of myself with him. Got to shake his hand and thank him for being such a big inspiration. Very happy day for me.

User avatar
Seadog74
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Crow's nest

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm

A great cartoon for me back in the day was the Groovy Ghoulies but no one else seems to remember them.

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9350
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Earth 3

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:51 pm

Seadog74 wrote:A great cartoon for me back in the day was the Groovy Ghoulies but no one else seems to remember them.
I kind of preferred the Drak Pack to the Groovy Ghoulies.
Splink!

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Never saw Drak Pack... But Groovie Ghoulies was my LIFE for a short while! They had a couple of their videos in our video shop, got them out over and over... Think I've got three of their videos in my video cupboard now, including one where they meet up with Daffy Duck and Porky Pig and so on.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

knight_beat
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: London... Home of Danger Mouse

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by knight_beat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Shinobi wrote:Been meaning to post on that but been putting it off as the name of one the Deceptercons is eluding me even with google.. When I used to play Transformers with my friend liked the look of one of the combiner teams and my friend said he was called the Butcher as he killed a lot of Autobots in a swamp on Cybertron..
The Butcher is definitely a made-up name. What did the combiner look like? If we're talking the original series, the choices are The Abominus, Bruticus, Piranacon and Menasor.

My show of choice is Crazy Like a Fox. There were 35 episodes spread over 2 seasons and a TV movie. I think it was shown in an early afternoon slot on ITV during 1987 or 1988. Sadly, there aren't any episodes on YouTube and it hasn't been released on DVD

The intro is available on YouTube

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 pm

knight_beat wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Been meaning to post on that but been putting it off as the name of one the Deceptercons is eluding me even with google.. When I used to play Transformers with my friend liked the look of one of the combiner teams and my friend said he was called the Butcher as he killed a lot of Autobots in a swamp on Cybertron..
The Butcher is definitely a made-up name. What did the combiner look like? If we're talking the original series, the choices are The Abominus, Bruticus, Piranacon and Menasor.

My show of choice is Crazy Like a Fox. There were 35 episodes spread over 2 seasons and a TV movie. I think it was shown in an early afternoon slot on ITV during 1987 or 1988. Sadly, there aren't any episodes on YouTube and it hasn't been released on DVD

The intro is available on YouTube

He is talking about SnapTrap, leader of the Seacons who make up piranacon.

The butcher is because he is known as Butcher of the bogs, hunted down and massacered a shitload of Autobots when they wandered into the toxic sludge swamps where he liked to hang out.

User avatar
fredghostmaster
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:17 pm
Location: essex

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Anyone remember Grahams Gang? It was a BBC show in the late 70's, none of mates remember it but I do!

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by merman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:51 pm

felgekarp wrote:The Great Egg Race was brilliant and I seem to remember Carol Vorderman on Take Nobodies Word For It, Now Get Out Of That was pretty good as well.
I loved Now Get Out Of That, they should revive it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

LonDan
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Old TV shows that no one you talk to remembers.

Post by LonDan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Treguard wrote:No-one I speak to ever remembers some of the darker, more interesting kids shows, like Inhumanoids, mainly because they got cut up and shoved into Saturday morning TV. Centurions gets no love either. Dark Season is another kids show that no-one remembers despite its writer (Russell T. Davies) going on to better things. Was looking this morning on All4 and was surprised to find you can't get 'Coping With...' the series based on Peter Corey's book series for kids, despite it winning awards including a BAFTA. Weird.
Glad someone mentioned Dark Season. I remember that as vividly as anything I saw as a kid, and it's rare to meet another soul who remembers it.

It was absolutely captivating - thrilling and terrifying in equal measure. In fact, I'm going to buy it on eBay and watch it again.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests