If you could only eat one animal ever. Which one?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

which animal would you choose

chicken
34%
cow
22%
pig
31%
lamb/sheep
13%

Total votes: 32

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: If you could only eat one animal ever. Which one?

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 am

markopoloman wrote:Yeah! Just look at the comments :lol:
Hmmmm. Interesting. I don't know - if this might be a case of Angliaising a word, like for example with Paris in English, and in French you say "Paree".

Anyway, the mystery continues. I'm intrigued. My school didn't teach Spanish(it barely taught English - trust me on that one! :lol: ). We need a Spanish teacher to help us out here.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:02 am

markopoloman wrote:How do people pronounce Chorizo? It really bugs me that people cannot pronounce it properly. Choritzo? Choritho? Choritso? something different? What do you lot say?
"Chorit-zo" would be an Italian way of pronouncing the word, which is probably why the English think it's right, as it sounds a bit foreign, but it's really Spanish. The Spanish pronounciation varies by dialect between "Choree-so" and "Choree-tho ".

Although we're arguing about the end bit - pronouncing the first bit "Cho" is particularly English; pretty much anywhere else in Europe it'd be a "Kor" or a sort of hacking phlegmy "Hch" at the start that within the UK, only the Scots and Welsh can pull off properly.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 am

Whichever way you pronounce it.

throws some chunks of it in a pan with chuncks of chicken breast, peppers and onions then drizzle some sweet chilli sauce over it and its lovely.

or use chunks of the same ingredients, skewer them and shove on the BBQ with a nixce dipping pot of sweet chilli. perfect.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Pig - I'd miss bacon, pork and ham...

StalkS

Post by StalkS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:39 am

Has to be Swine!!! Mmmmmm Yummy!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:58 pm

joefish wrote:Anyone who doesn't immediately say 'pig' needs to head down to the nearest farmer's market and ask about minced pork burgers with sage and apple.

Then head for a Gurkha restaurant and try the pork curry. Nom nom nom.
I have never really thought of pork for burgers or curry. Saying that - I think that the GBK chain does a pork and chorizo(however the hell you pronounce it) burger. That looks nice.

Going back to the porcine based meat - there's also that Iberian Pork which is served in fancy restaurants. It's from a breed in Spain(which eat acorns - not the computer variety), and you can cook that to medium rare. It's really rich and has strong flavour. I think that there's even a place that makes burgers from that.

As for pork curry, I think I have seen a Keith Floyd recipe for that. Interesting.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Guess what? I had a pork chop for dinner last night. Celebrate the porky pig!

funkykong

Post by funkykong » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 am

Surprised chicken won! Beef for sure.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:12 am

Human flesh. Its actually the perfect protein that offers the right amount of amino acids. :twisted:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Human flesh. Its actually the perfect protein that offers the right amount of amino acids. :twisted:
I particularly like the liver, with fava beans and a nice Chianti. Fffffffffff! :lol:

I think human flesh is meant to taste like pork? In some cultures - they do eat the placenta, remember Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall all those years ago, doing that? Supposedly, eating animals which eat other animals isn't meant to be nice(excluding seafood). Apparently, the meat is too acidic or something like that.
funkykong wrote:Surprised chicken won! Beef for sure.
I suppose that it's because you can cook it so many ways : pies, pasties, tandoori, curries, in white wine, in red wine, stews, casseroles, with lemon, with garlic, kievs, kebabs, barbecued, deep fat fried, stir fried, jerk, tagines, etc. The meat itself might not have that interesting a flavour, but you can add stuff to it, to spice it up. Plus, chicken livers are nice.