Bloggers, Youtubers & Streamers - Why?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Bloggers, Youtubers & Streamers - Why?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Blimey, going all red now :oops: Thanks a lot!

Going to try and do a lot more on there in 2016, it was somewhat neglected this year due to several "real life" things...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:49 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Blimey, going all red now :oops: Thanks a lot!

Going to try and do a lot more on there in 2016, it was somewhat neglected this year due to several "real life" things...
I'll echo the sentiment. You really do seem to have filled a niche. I don't even like most of the comics you cover, but the back stories and artist info is both informative and entertaing, I find it somewhat addictive on every occassional visit and am compelled to keep reading. Well done, keep going, even if it does seem like its only for your own benefit. The few visitors you do have really appreciate it. Quality over quantity as the saying goes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:41 am

I've recently taken a break from YouTube but for me it started for a few reasons;
Firstly i wanted to keep my video editing skills fresh having graduated from University just as the recession hit and not ending up in the career path i'd planned as a result.
Secondly i was really starting to grow an interest in retro gaming and the research for my show helped that.
I was also a big fan of system reviews but found that at the time there weren't really very many that went into depth, so figuring there must be others who felt the same as me i decided to make my own
But finally and probably most importantly i was going through a very bad time in my life and needed a hobby to keep me on track and focused, i set myself a timetable for videos and as a result didn't have time to wallow in my situation as it kept me very busy, these days i'm far slacker with videos and have taken many breaks but still enjoy doing it for the modest "fan"base i seem to have collected and having just taken another break due to a work life balance shift i'm about to start coming back again now and am really looking forward to it
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Blimey, going all red now :oops: Thanks a lot!

I'll echo the sentiment. You really do seem to have filled a niche. I don't even like most of the comics you cover, but the back stories and artist info is both informative and entertaing, I find it somewhat addictive on every occassional visit and am compelled to keep reading. Well done, keep going, even if it does seem like its only for your own benefit. The few visitors you do have really appreciate it. Quality over quantity as the saying goes.
Cheers, Ant - really appreciate it :D
It only gets between 100-200 visits per day (how many of those are actual people I'll never know), but at least each post gets a good few comments - quality over quantity, I like that, ta :D
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:46 am

^ 100 - 200 per day is a lot, at least it sounds like a lot! Agree with a few posters, it's not a subject of interest to me but it is brilliantly laid out with loads of content.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks again! Going to try and sort out an easier way of navigating the place somehow... I've seen other blogs with tabs at the top, drop-down menus and so on - just to make it easier to find certain titles or certain artists or whatever.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:32 pm

I write my blog as I enjoy gaming and I like writing. I also know that I'm not that great at writing so having a blog is a good way for me to have an outlet.

If people read it then fantastic (which they do according to the stats and comments), if not I'll continue to write for it anyway.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

funkykong

Post by funkykong » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:32 am

I really think blogs and YouTube are simply a modern day diary. I've never been interested in starting a YT show, but it sounds like a cool idea. I think videos and short reviews on the web is just how we're consuming content these days. I like how blogs and YT are very user friendly, and i don't need to be some sort of Neo-like hacker to understand it all. I used this company to create a blog, and it was a bit of a breeze since the first step. My blog is a bit out of date, as I've been too busy to put up new content, but will get back on board with gaming news/reviews very soon!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:59 am

Seems a lot of e-begging is going on now with regards to putting up video content. I guess YouTube may have changed some rules which are affecting some youtubers income, or perhaps the market is now flooded with people trying to jump on the bandwagon and get their 15 minutes of fame and fortune.

As dprinny (i think) said earlier on in this thread, people should just do it for fun and if anything else comes of it, its a bonus. I find the whole "Patreon" page funding (or topping up) youtube or other video content creators to be a bit over the top and money grabbing. It puts me off watching them, so I've unsubscribed to a few.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 am

Patreon bugs me

"Pay me for content" Hentai "artists" are using it a lot these days, so they are making money off other peoples characters
If you make worth while content then fair enough

When Youtubers get antsy about Youtube doing something they dont like it seems like they have never worked once in there short lifes
Employers do tend to do as they please sometimes

Yeah ive gotten flagged for stuff in the past
Things like "Best bits" videos (Monetised by the claimant)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipkoj6fqWx0

Or music videos (I like making these)(Sometimes blocked in certain country's, sometimes fully blocked)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbDjotQ64yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a47EsqhNP_4

Big Youtubers seem to forget, if you use somebody else's footage, its there property so dont complain if they flag it, they dont give a toss about "Fair use"

Then theres censored moves, these are mostly done by Nintendo
There auto flag will flag you for music rather than the games (Got one on a video for a Mario sound bite)

It does bug me when theres a review of something and its over half an hour long and its all just some guy sitting in front of the camera
"The Spoony one" does 4 hour long reviews of wrestling PPVs
(Will point out all proceeds from my channel go to charity)

I MADE $3 SO FAR!!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Don't see the point in any of them.. Never used a blog, only uploaded 3 video's to You Tube, I seem to have a lot of subscribers and one video has had 47,683 views.. Twitter that grinds my gear can't remember the last time I logged in but again I keep getting random people adding adding me with the I'm following you so you have to add me.. And as I don't add them they unfollow me like I really want Shakespeare quote's and other useless garbage clogging my Twitter..

I don't click on anybody's links to blogs twitter etc in profiles/signatures as I'm just not interested.. I do follow Replay Burners, Awesome games done quick, Metal Jesus etc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:48 am

DPrinny wrote:
I MADE $3 SO FAR!!
Don't spend it all at once. I know you are keen to purchase a mid 2000s FIFA game though on PS2.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:33 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
I MADE $3 SO FAR!!
Don't spend it all at once. I know you are keen to purchase a mid 2000s FIFA game though on PS2.
It all goes the charity mate

All-thought that amount probably will only pay for one penny chew