Bloggers, Youtubers & Streamers - Why?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Bloggers, Youtubers & Streamers - Why?

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:21 am

There are many reasons why.

In addition to reasons already stated I would suggest it gives people a chance to identify themselves to people as something other than their mundane occupation and homelife, and have an outlet. Instead of being Brian the checkout assistant, online they can be 'Retrowizard69', an authority of their chosen hobby and gain some degree of recognition within it's field. Despite the fact they often used made up user names, their online endevours may ironically allow them to be themselves more.

Also there is the experience gained, whether that's writing, technical, content creation, communication, marketing, networking etc. Regardless of what you think of the content the success or lack of they might have, simply doing this stuff is experience a person can use elsewhere, such as getting a paid media job.

And there is somewhat of a demand for it, there is that whole 'bored at work' market for exmaple.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:41 am

I'm in two minds about the whole self-promotion thing. I guess if it's a subject I'm interested in, I'll look for a site or blog, but I usually seek out either the official one, or at least the most professionally presented one.

I generally won't click on a sig to someone's ramblings but I'll seek out topics that interest me via Google.

One thing, though - blogs are made or broken by the comments. I recently switched from the official Mets Blog to a popular fan - made one after years of suffering poor grammar and New Yorkers telling each other to stfu and calling each other (and their Mamas) gay. All in terrible English.

If you're going to post bile, at least least have the courtesy to spell it properly.
Thoughts and prayers.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:56 am

I can't be arsed with bloggers and streamers and hate lets play videos where all you are doing is watch someone play.

However I love stuff like Gamesack. I find it entertaining and well made and even spot a game or ttwo that makes me want to try it out.

Stuff like that I really do like.

I also love histories of, or decent retrospectives. I am also enjoying retrocores Battle of the ports series ATM.

Far too much rubbish to wade through to find decent channels though.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:23 am

rossi46 wrote: I generally won't click on a sig to someone's ramblings but I'll seek out topics that interest me via Google.
I'm more or less the same but whereas you might click on a blog or something, I never will. I lost interest in opinions years ago. I want fact, or as close to it as possible. I prefer objectively reasoned information I can use rather than the subjective gushings of the enthusiast or self-appointed "authority". Which means hitting google when subjects interest me to filter out the mammoth amount of absolute bollocks out there. If I ever do read a review it's by a professional who knows they're writing to inform an audience within a given context. Even then I'm usually just looking for nuts and bolts info. Too many bloggers and youtubers and forum posters slap down what they think about something and call it a review. They're wrong. The internet has given everybody a voice, unfortunately. What I've found is, when everybody gets to shout you end up not wanting to listen to anybody.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:41 am

I find 99% of it a load of censored.The only youtubers I enjoyed were the gamehunters videos.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:51 am

Honestly I find a large portion of user generated YouTube videos especially those about (but not dedicated to) gaming utter dross that I have zero interest in wasting my life to watch.

There is some decent stuff - I have enjoyed a Laird chip tune video or two in the past as I'm really into chip music - but there isn't much of it - I don't think a lot of it is aimed at people my age.

I find things like Rooster Teeth intolerably boring (just a bunch of young douche bags shouting not taking much interest in whatever they are playing - usually Minecraft or GTA) and I have zero interest in 99% of user generated game review videos. Why would I chose to have someone's opinion that I disagree with rammed down my throat when I can simply not watch. YouTube is full of so called gamers making it their business to spread hate about perfectly good video games. Waste of life.

I'm sure it's of interest to some - and I know some on here make a lot of videos - but it's just not for me as a rule.

The same goes for would be amateur movie reviewers as a rule... although I was quite impressed with sirclive and co and their Moviemuse podcast but that was because they are into zombie films and, like myself, thought World War Z was a decent movie.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:57 am

Reviews are just opinions at the end of the day, people dont have to agree with them

But I have seen some reviewers do 3 hour long reviews about things, the film is only 90 minutes long

also reviewing trailers for films seems to be a thing now
A lot try to force drama into things, it can be funny, but lot does seem forced
The Beans wrote:
rossi46 wrote: I generally won't click on a sig to someone's ramblings but I'll seek out topics that interest me via Google.
I'm more or less the same but whereas you might click on a blog or something, I never will. I lost interest in opinions years ago. I want fact, or as close to it as possible. I prefer objectively reasoned information I can use rather than the subjective gushings of the enthusiast or self-appointed "authority". Which means hitting google when subjects interest me to filter out the mammoth amount of absolute bollocks out there. If I ever do read a review it's by a professional who knows they're writing to inform an audience within a given context. Even then I'm usually just looking for nuts and bolts info. Too many bloggers and youtubers and forum posters slap down what they think about something and call it a review. They're wrong. The internet has given everybody a voice, unfortunately. What I've found is, when everybody gets to shout you end up not wanting to listen to anybody.
I give this post MINUS FIVE STARS!!
Anybody that disagrees is an extra in a B-movie that about 2 people saw

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:06 am

Good thing is, no one has to click on anything. :)

But if you want to avoid opinions about games and films, forums are probably the worst place to be.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 am

A recent example of this is just this past few days, I've been Googling for reviews and suggestions for the best VFM indoor RC helicopter.

There has been some cracking, witty and informative Youtube reviews, but I always have to scroll halfway through the video just for them to get to the point. That does my nut in.

In the end, I invariably go to the manufacturers' sites and have to tolerate the less-than objective opinions.
Thoughts and prayers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:11 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:Good thing is, no one has to click on anything. :)

But if you want to avoid opinions about games and films, forums are probably the worst place to be.
HOW TO AVOID OPINIONS!!

1 find cave
2 make sure its dark and nothings inside
3 blow up entrance
4 put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and shout "LA LA LA" until you die.

Another point, if you dont like something
Dont click it,
I save hours each day by not watching things I dont like

Simpsons got it right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJm6nfLQ1gI

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:16 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:But if you want to avoid opinions about games and films, forums are probably the worst place to be.
Wrong.
We are talking about Blogs and You Tube here as the thread title suggests.
With forums you can choose not to read someone's posts just like you can not click on their sig to watch their banal YouTube videos. The choice to watch or not is always there thank goodness.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 am

gman72 wrote:Why would I chose to have someone's opinion that I disagree with rammed down my throat when I can simply not watch. YouTube is full of so called gamers making it their business to spread hate about perfectly good video games. Waste of life.
You guys are just repeating what I already said, and even then it was stating the obvious.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:37 am

gman72 wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:But if you want to avoid opinions about games and films, forums are probably the worst place to be.
Wrong.
We are talking about Blogs and You Tube here as the thread title suggests.
With forums you can choose not to read someone's posts just like you can not click on their sig to watch their banal YouTube videos. The choice to watch or not is always there thank goodness.

Easier to ignore a clickthrough link than a post that it's in a list of posts but yeah like I said, the choice to watch or not is there. Not all YouTube vids are banal though. Although most are. That said, these days if I want to make a decision on buying a sketchy indie game or something on the Vita, I tend to look for a video review first. If they capture the right bits of the game, you can usually spot a lemon a mile off these days. Whereas in a pro review, you don't know how much payola is involved.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:54 am

If you''ve been gaming for a decade or more you shouldn't need reviews. Nobody knows what you like better than you do.
And let's face it, anything negative gleaned from a review is magically negated by knocking some quids off the asking price anyway. Same game, same flaws ... but the apparent badness vanished away by decreasing moonbucks somehow. Quite amazing really. So none of it really matters in the long run. Which is nice.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 am

It depends, there is always a game you have never heard of.

I tend to play what ever
People didnt know there was an ET game on Playstation