doctor who: who is your doctor

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stayAwhile

doctor who: who is your doctor

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:42 pm

bit of an odd one for me but my doctor is paul mcgann because he was the first dr i saw properly even though before that i may of seen the cushing movies and some tom baker stuff e.c.t either that or my first dr to get a full series who was chris ecclestone cant really say which i class as my dr though but both had a short run and both get me excited when i see them return in one media or another. and as for full on classsic who it has to be peter davidson as he got me into classic who.

see techinly i did experiance a far bit of mcgann through books and audios and i'm glad i did he's a great doctor.

so if push comes to shove and i had to pick MY dr i think it would be the 8th

I'm sure for alot of you the choice4 may be easier but i was born in 1988 and never got to see dr who on a first time broadcast till i was 8 years old in 1996.
This guy are sick

theantmeister

Re: doctor who: who is your doctor

Post by theantmeister » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm exactly the same. My first exposure to Doctor Who was the McGann movie. I was not impressed!

I only really got into it when the Christopher Ecclestone version came along. He's still my favourite Doctor.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Tom Baker... The Doctor I grew up watching. To me he just IS Dr Who.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:07 pm

theantmeister wrote:I'm exactly the same. My first exposure to Doctor Who was the McGann movie. I was not impressed!

I only really got into it when the Christopher Ecclestone version came along. He's still my favourite Doctor.
the only thing for me that doesnt impress about the mcgann movie is eric roberts as the master but thats from a 2015 perspective but he was ok for 1996 standards. but the masteer for me will always be antony ainstly he was easly the best master followed by john sim followed by roger delgardo followed by derik jacoby followed by the decayed master follwoed by missy.
This guy are sick

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:24 am

Tom Baker. He IS The Doctor.

I don't count McGann as a Doctor, though I do count Peter Cushing, as Invasion Earth was my favourite film for many years and I watched it a lot.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:35 am

necronom wrote:Tom Baker. He IS The Doctor.

I don't count McGann as a Doctor, though I do count Peter Cushing, as Invasion Earth was my favourite film for many years and I watched it a lot.
Snap! I loved the Cushing films too and as far as the TV Doctors go, i vaguely remember John Pertwee but Tom Baker was THE doctor as far as i'm concerned. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 am

Tom Baker for the tv series, McGann for the books & audio.

I started watching Who when it was Pertwee. Tom Baker came along and blew him away. Tom Baker's Doctor also got the best companion in Leela. She was ignorant of science and techhology without being dumb, the perfect foil for The Doctor. The run of serials with Tom Baker and Leela is the definition of classic Who for me, with the addition of The Seeds Of Doom and The Deadly Assassin.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:26 am

All of them. They are all the Doctor.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:36 am

This guy for me :-

The 5th Doctor aka Peter Davison. He was the first one I saw as small child. Love things like Enlightenment, Caves of Androzani, Mawdryn Undead, Resurrection of the Daleks, Earthshock, etc.

I only discovered Tom Baker's Doctor when UK Gold started showing his stuff during the mid 1990s. I remember that I was at sixth form college and had a weekend job, so I had to get up early and set the video recorder for his tales. He had an epic run : there's the Gothic stuff - Pyramids of Mars, Robots of Death(one of my favourites), Brain of Morbius ; then there's the tongue in cheek era - City of Death, etc; and finally the sort of science era under John Nathn-Turner - State of Decay, The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis, etc. He's probably the most iconic of all the Doctors. He's second favourite for me. I love Leela as well - the whole Eliza Doolittle relationship with the Doctor. I also think that the second Romana was a good companion for him.

I'm quite fond of Slyvestor McCoy as well. "Ace!" - in a Scottish accent. Love some of his stuff. Remembrance of the Daleks(that's a favourite of mine), Ghost Light, Survival, The Curse of Feneric, etc. He had some strong stories.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:17 am

necronom wrote:Tom Baker. He IS The Doctor.

although he only appeared on screen twice he was teh doctor for longer than anyother doctor as it took till 2013 for them to doa regenaration scene for him so and even if you dont count that he was still the current doctor off screen till 2005
This guy are sick

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 pm

McCoy for me.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Hobgoblin

Post by The Hobgoblin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Tom Baker! Followed closely by John Pertwee :P
Peter Cushing was good in the films too :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Tom Baker for a few reasons.

Mainly because I spent most time with him, but also because of the incredible personality he brought to the role, he's a real scene stealer though doesn't mind spreading that around and emphasising other roles when needed. His genuine unpredictability adds to it, with his many ad libs making it to camera. I don't think I'd ever quite seen that degree of chaotic madness in anyone before.

Jon Pertwee isn't far behind. I was a little young to get much of him at the time, but I liked his bravado, he's a gentleman who isn't afraid of a little fisticuffs. Given the time period, I read the bits I didn't see via the Target novels. He reversed the polarity of the neutron flow, apparently.

Inevitably, i don't know much Hartnell or Troughton. Troughton in particular is a bit of a Who blind spot for me, I've at least seen or read most of the critical Hartnell tales, but I just don't have a solid grasp on Troughton as the Doctor at all.

Davidson is where I started to lose interest. I just couldn't relate to this straight laced, cricket loving englishman after Tom's mania. Returning to it a an adult, it turned out he was really good, quite thoughtful and dliberate and with more depth than I gave credit for.

Much the same with Colin Baker. The ridiculous outfit and low budget killed any interest for me, but if you take his performance in isolation from those elements, he incredibly managed some decent stuff.

McCoy brought me back. Despite the inexplicable overuse of question marks in the costume, I liked his quirky performance. I knew him from other children's tv roles, so perhaps he reminded me slightly of Tom? He always seemed to be cast in a crazy role and he brought some of that back to Who after the previous two regenerations being so serious and at times dark.

McGann was ok in the limited time he had, but the movie was terrible and he's been given very little else. I've not experienced any of the audio books, novels or anything else, just the brief tv appearances. The forgotten Doctor in a way, since he did nothing of note, no memorable stories. That John Hurt's one bruef appearance blows him away says something. I honestly put Cushing much higher in my list than McGann, he's probably about 4th or 5th.

I don't have the same clarity of opinion/vision with the new Doctors. They've all been decent, often let down by shonky scripts and sidekicks stealing their limelight. Ecclestone was a good return, but only one season so barely remembered. I liked Tennant, though he did rather get bogged down by lovey dovey stuff. Wsn't sure of Matt Smith to start with, but he won me over. Maybe because he was able to shake off some of that and be the Doctor again?

Peter Capaldi hasn't donemuch yet, but he's been shaping up nicely. He has some quirks, but he's a harder Doc again. Glad he finally binned the shades, hopefully he'll grow with Clara out of the way.

TLDR: Tom Baker.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Has to be Tom Baker, clear by an arc of infinity. The outfit - scarf and floppy hat - the deep voice, big eyes, imposing presence, the know-all-and-everything without being big-headed about it. Sure, ropey scripts at times, and scenery made in kindergarden..., but unquestionably THE Dr.

And it's Nicola Bryant (Peri) as a companion. MMMmmm.... :mrgreen:

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:48 am

I do remember watching Jon Pertwee, however Tom Baker is my Dr!!