The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

William S

Re: The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by William S » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:16 am

I loved it! :D It had the feeling of the original trilogy. 9/10 for me.
The few things I didn't like:
Han dying.
It was a tad too similar to A New Hope.
Only a few seconds of Luke. (We'll obviously see a lot more of him in episode 8, though.)
And I think the fact that Kylo Ren was the son of Han and Leia was given away too soon, and that the unmasking also came too soon.
But in the context of a 3 part story, it might be what works best in setting up the plot for the next films.
ImageImageImage

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:10 pm

The only part out of the whole movie that stuck out as odd to me...

Why did R2 suddenly power on? Like, he was on low-power mode for years and then suddenly switches on. Why? WHY?!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Everyone else was making a comeback & he didn't want to miss out.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

dste

Post by dste » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:54 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I do get a sneaky feeling that Reys last name is going to be Solo.
I was thinking Skywalker myself, Luke dropping her off just as he's going into hiding.
It's going to be one or the other.
I thought that the film seemed to be setting it up that Luke is her father but then it did cross my mind that Rey could be the twin of Ben Ren.

Rayne wrote:The only part out of the whole movie that stuck out as odd to me...

Why did R2 suddenly power on? Like, he was on low-power mode for years and then suddenly switches on. Why? WHY?!
I'm probably wrong but the way that I saw it was that he had powered down due to Luke going missing and he either had the map and powered on when thy revealed the missing piece or he powered down whilst searching the records of the Jedi Temple that Ren had mentioned and powered up again when he found the rest of the map.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I managed to totally avoid news sites and social media for the last 7 days and went to see it last night.

I saw it on IMAX 3D and it looked and sounded utterly amazing.

Overall I really enjoyed it but i don't really understand why it's storyline was so similar to A New Hope.

I need to see it again but I kinda agree that I think I would have rather a brand new story rather than a 75% remake.

Some of the acting was shocking though: the early Poe Dameron scenes seemed a bit cheesy, as were Han Solo's but they got better. Also hated Rey's accent at first, was far too English and more suited to a costume drama.

Finally, amazing that the Milenium Falcon still worked without a jump start as did the holochess game thing!

Still, it is a new Star Wars and for that I am very happy
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Rayne wrote:The only part out of the whole movie that stuck out as odd to me...

Because the plot demanded it.

Still, that's what you get with a J J Abrams film; loads of holes that you just don't notice at the time because the pacing is so strong.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Eps 4-6 had plot holes and some very stiff acting, people are really too critics these days Matt B

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Did Obi Ean Kenobi really need to die against Darth Vader in a new hope, how did the ewoks beat the empire? Really? Etc...

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:48 pm

sscott wrote:Did Obi Ean Kenobi really need to die against Darth Vader in a new hope, how did the ewoks beat the empire? Really? Etc...
Can anyone explain why in RotJ they needed to deactivate the shield round the Death Star by using a stolen code that lots of people died getting, but then didn't bother going to the Death Star and landed on the planet to deactivate the shield themselves :?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Yeah, Storm trooper armour can't deal with rocks either.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:00 pm

necronom wrote:
sscott wrote:Did Obi Ean Kenobi really need to die against Darth Vader in a new hope, how did the ewoks beat the empire? Really? Etc...
Can anyone explain why in RotJ they needed to deactivate the shield round the Death Star by using a stolen code that lots of people died getting, but then didn't bother going to the Death Star and landed on the planet to deactivate the shield themselves :?
I thought the code got them access to the planets surface, so they could get the Empire to let them through the shield around the planet. Once there they could blow up the generator.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:13 pm

necronom wrote:Can anyone explain why in RotJ they needed to deactivate the shield round the Death Star by using a stolen code that lots of people died getting, but then didn't bother going to the Death Star and landed on the planet to deactivate the shield themselves :?
The code was just the security code for the shuttle to fly in Endor airspace, allowing them to get to the generator. The shuttle itself was nicked too. Many Bothans died obtaining the information about the new death star and its shields etc, allowing the plan to send a strike team to Endor to be formed, with the secondary attack on the death star following the shields being dropped.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:14 pm

sscott wrote:Eps 4-6 had plot holes and some very stiff acting, people are really too critics these days Matt B
It's not a criticism.

Abrams usually gets away with plot holes because his films constantly demand your attention with rapidly developing situations. The original series, at least the first two films, also did a pretty good job of this.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:17 pm

I am really glad I wasn't caught up in all the Star Wars hype because if I had been I would have been hugely disappointed. As it was it was an average film, which is pretty much what I expected, so it fulfilled my expectations. There were no stand out moments or epic scenes that will be remembered for years to come, it was just another Star Wars movie.

6/10 for me

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Obi Wan doesn't die in ANH, he somehow disappears and becomes a part of the 'Force'.

Though quite how Ewoks can beat hardened Imperial troops I have no idea.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"