The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by Matt_B » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 am

I've just seen it and I thought it was pretty good. It's far better than the prequels, which wasn't hard, but basically a rehash of the original film with the characters juggled about a bit. I'm wondering if Abrams wanted to write a total reboot, as he did with Star Trek, but came under too much pressure to slot it into the existing continuity.

Anyway, you'd think by now that the villains of the universe ought to have figured out by now that building a giant planet-busting death ray never quite works out for them.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 am

I do get a sneaky feeling that Reys last name is going to be Solo.
Splink!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:54 am

psj3809 wrote:How's the hangover ?
Ha, not as bad as I thought it would be,still buzzing from seeing a good new Star Wars film.

I'm introducing the kids to Empire Strikes Back. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:22 am

felgekarp wrote:I do get a sneaky feeling that Reys last name is going to be Solo.
Surely not felgekarp, a parallel too far!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:40 am

felgekarp wrote:I do get a sneaky feeling that Reys last name is going to be Solo.
I was thinking Skywalker myself, Luke dropping her off just as he's going into hiding.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I was thinking Skywalker myself, Luke dropping her off just as he's going into hiding.
It's going to be one or the other.
Splink!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:33 am

A bit underwhelming, I'll give it a 6/10. The first third or so was fantastic, it all felt fresh and so on, loved the humanization of the Storm Troopers and her house in the abandoned AT-AT, but once they took off in the Falcon it dawned on me that I was watching ANOTHER bloody remake!

Some arsewipe on Facebook told me that Han was going to die a few weeks ago, I thought he was messing around - but as soon as he stepped onto that bridge I just got angry. I get that it's all about the money, and Harrison Ford didn't want to do it, but there's better ways it could've been done - instead of emulating Vader killing Obi Wan, why not have Han and Chewie blow themselves up for the greater good? I'd've got behind that one.

Nice to see puppets, costumes and real locations being used again, but there was nothing to grab my imagination here. Just constant nostalgia-nods. "Hey, remember this? And this?? AND THIS???!???!?". Not even any new ships to obsess over (I like doing that sort of thing, those Dorling-Kinderly cutaway books are amongst my favourite books). If anything it's made me look at the prequels with a lot more respect - at least those had imagination and original ideas (no matter how hokey they were).

I'm taking a six-year-old to see it on Monday, maybe if I see the effect it has on him I'll like it a bit more (new generation of fans and all that), we'll see.

Oh, and the projector malfunctioned at the climax - just as that planet's blowing up (did they blow up the whole planet?), the screen went blank and the whole room went silent for about thirty seconds, then it came back on to Leia and Rey having a hug.

Overall, out of the whole series I'd rank it joint-fifth with Episode I.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:00 am

I honestly don't know how these kind if films ever succeed with Internet hype and exhausting speculation, imagine JJ Abrams job, how impossible it must be to create a new market, please the fans etc... Thought it was great but what do people want, the second coming??

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:06 am

I thought it was absolutely brilliant, it was everything I could have wanted as a Star Wars fan. Going to see it again on Tuesday :mrgreen:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:18 am

Twoheadedboy, you ranked it joint 5th with Phantom menace, are you out of your freakin mind???? Was there not enough intergalactic senate meetings in it for you, or Jar Jar Binks, I honestly have to lay down with a cold flannel on my head to understand this!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:19 am

sscott wrote:I honestly don't know how these kind if films ever succeed with Internet hype and exhausting speculation, imagine JJ Abrams job, how impossible it must be to create a new market, please the fans etc... Thought it was great but what do people want, the second coming??
If he'd've made a sequel instead of a remake, I'd be happy :)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:20 am

sscott wrote:Twoheadedboy, you ranked it joint 5th with Phantom menace, are you out of your freakin mind???? Was there not enough intergalactic senate meetings in it for you, or Jar Jar Binks, I honestly have to lay down with a cold flannel on my head to understand this!
A LOT of crap in Phantom Menace, but at least it was original crap - I liked this new one more than Episode II, less than Episode III, and there's not enough in it to give it a separate ranking... So joint fifth it is.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:26 am

You are of course entitled to your opinion but the prequels were widely derided, overuse of CGI, mo character development, stiff acting etc...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:44 am

All true and acknowledged, but at least they had original stories and ideas (however daft most of them were!)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:48 am

I get THB's point about it not being very original, especially after watching the entire trilogy with my kids today...

But for me it made me realise while Lucas had been wasting all our time over the past 3 decades making ropey prequels we could've been having lots of new good proper Star Wars films.

If anything its made me even more angry about what a wasted opportunity the prequels were, would've been interesting to see what someone like JJ would've made.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue