The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:All of the above is no longer canon. What was the EU has been wiped away.
It's taken from the new Marvel Lucasarts Darth Vader/Vader Down and Star Wars comic and they say Canon on the covers.. The Expanded Universe now says Legends Tarkin and Dark Lords of the Sith are the only canon books..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:11 am

I see people are now saying Snoke is Darth Vaders force ghost

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:00 am

Gigifusc wrote:
And I have to admit that I can't think of another sequel that copied it's prequel to this level. Have you got a few examples? And I don't mean the odd plot or scene or character. A film where almost the entire story and plot was used again?
Rocky and Jaws spring immediately to mind as having sequels that are almost identical to their parent movie.

When it comes to sequels it's usually all about the money as I'm sure you know. If a movie makes enough cash they'll punt out another with slightly different script and character names and locations to get those same bums back on those cinema seats. As a rule they tend to get worse as they go on and that's one area where Star Wars certainly bucks the trend. Everyone has a different order in which they rate the SW movies, but off the top of my head franchises that have milked the sequel train...

The Matrix, Jaws, Pirates Of The Carribean, Friday the 13th and countless other long running horror series SAW etc, The Fast and The Furious, Taken, Rocky, Rambo, Terminator and that's to name very very few. They all carry the basic premise and plot of their parent movie as does Force Awakens. How much you let this standard trope of sequels spoil FA for you comes down to personal taste but brings me back to my point that you're over analysing. No one here is denying FA borrows plot from ANH, the point is how much you let that issue ruin the movie for you.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Just watched the movie for the first time. Not a great movie, but as good a sequel to VI as could be hoped for, but nowhere near as good as Abram's reboot of Star Trek.

The only thing that really threw me was Rey suddenly knowing how to do mind tricks without showing any previous Jedi training.

One missed opportunity for me was that Han should have been transporting Rancors rather than rathtars.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:08 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The only thing that really threw me was Rey suddenly knowing how to do mind tricks without showing any previous Jedi training.
As earlier in the thread, we don't know she hasn't had any training.

There's also the interrogation by Kylo Ren. He wasn't able to read her, but what if her latent force ability caused a feedback loop, allowing Rey to read Kylo instead, inheriting his knowledge of how to use the force and wield a saber?

Anyway, I've just seen this picture and associated theories this week (if the hotlink works):
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:The only thing that really threw me was Rey suddenly knowing how to do mind tricks without showing any previous Jedi training.
As earlier in the thread, we don't know she hasn't had any training.

There's also the interrogation by Kylo Ren. He wasn't able to read her, but what if her latent force ability caused a feedback loop, allowing Rey to read Kylo instead, inheriting his knowledge of how to use the force and wield a saber?

Anyway, I've just seen this picture and associated theories this week (if the hotlink works):
Gotta agree with you here, Antiriad. We have no idea what training she has or hasn't had. She is clearly a natural when it comes to the force but whether this is through training or natural ability we have yet to find out. It will all come out in the wash. As for the Snoke's (anyone else think that name is too cutesy?) head wound being identical to Vader's... yeah... don't really know what to say about that. I know one online source is claiming that Snoke is Emperor Palpatine's son. All will be revealed.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:08 pm

It isn't just the head wound, it's the left cheek and down the sides of his chin too. So many similarities.

It may be intentional echoing of the design, but could there be more to it? Is this why we never physically see Snoke? Is this not just hologram, but force ghost?

Was Vader's body on the pyre, or was it symbolic burning of the suit? Has he been resurrected or possessed?

This is why I like this movie, there's so much to speculate on.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:47 pm

With a release day for May 2017, will they start filming ep 8 soon? Then we can do this alllll again! :)

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:20 pm

sscott wrote:With a release day for May 2017, will they start filming ep 8 soon? Then we can do this alllll again! :)

Sure I remember reading filming starts in January!

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Mancman wrote:
sscott wrote:With a release day for May 2017, will they start filming ep 8 soon? Then we can do this alllll again! :)
Sure I remember reading filming starts in January!
Yeah, I read today that it starts filming before the end of the month.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:31 pm

They're well into Rogue One, so we have that first.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:59 am

Yep, it's starting up soon, and back in Pinewood.
Shinobi wrote:I see people are now saying Snoke is Darth Vaders force ghost

Okay, I can see where you're coming from - but surely, Vader's Force Ghost is now on the light side - and he was seen at the end of ROTJ.

One of the theories is, that he is Darth Plagueis - as mentioned in Revenge of the Sith, by Palpatine when talking to Anakin about trying to prolong life. I think Abrams has said that Snoke is an original character. Anyway, we'll find out in the next film.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 am

Well, Kylo says "I will finish what you started". What if Snoke has been following Vader's path, including the physical trauma? With Kylo as his apprentice, continuing what Snoke can not? Snoke could still be inhabiting the old body while being a 'new' character.

And is saving Luke by chucking the Emperor down a shaft a redemption? One act redeems all the death and destruction? Perhaps just a temporary slide, the act that lets him continue as a force ghost, before returning to his former mayhem for the dark side? Killing Palpatine should have been expected anyway, since that is the nature of the Sith. Playing Luke so that he can be the master with a new apprentice, since always two there are.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:since always two there are.
:D 8)

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Speak of Snoke and that pic, I found some of the theories here amusing... :lol:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-13-most-nons ... Socialflow
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.