The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ianpmarks

Re: The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:He didn't say he wasn't a fan. He went in with low expectations, those expectations were met - its just another Star Wars film. Its fine, he didn't like it, this isn't the review you're looking for, move along
Ha ha... I like that.
I'm not bothered by bad reviews. It just sounded a little superior for my liking. Mmight just be the way I read it. If its just me then I apologise.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:He didn't say he wasn't a fan.
Are you trying the old "Jedi mind trick"? :wink:
The Laird wrote:Definitely all the Star Wars hype, my whole Facebook feed is just full of it.

Admittedly I am not a Star Wars fan but it still seems really OTT.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:50 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Why go and see a film from a series you don't like?
For example I don't like X-Men or the Avengers, so I wouldn't bother going to watch any films in those series. I certainly wouldn't watch a film I knew I wouldn't like, then post a review saying I didn't like it, just to show how much better I am than Star Wars fans who did like it.
I didn't say I didn't like Star Wars, I just said I'm not a fan, that is not the same thing. I wouldn't say I am a fan of chocolate, I still eat it sometimes.

I also never said I didn't like it, I said I thought it was an average film, not the same thing once again.
ianpmarks wrote: I'm not bothered by bad reviews. It just sounded a little superior for my liking. Mmight just be the way I read it. If its just me then I apologise.
It was definitely the way you read it. Everyone else posted opinions, I posted mine. Not sure why so many people on this forum have a problem with that.

Apology accepted.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:59 pm

The Laird wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:Why go and see a film from a series you don't like?
For example I don't like X-Men or the Avengers, so I wouldn't bother going to watch any films in those series. I certainly wouldn't watch a film I knew I wouldn't like, then post a review saying I didn't like it, just to show how much better I am than Star Wars fans who did like it.
I didn't say I didn't like Star Wars, I just said I'm not a fan, that is not the same thing. I wouldn't say I am a fan of chocolate, I still eat it sometimes.

I also never said I didn't like it, I said I thought it was an average film, not the same thing once again.
ianpmarks wrote: I'm not bothered by bad reviews. It just sounded a little superior for my liking. Mmight just be the way I read it. If its just me then I apologise.
It was definitely the way you read it. Everyone else posted opinions, I posted mine. Not sure why so many people on this forum have a problem with that.

Apology accepted.
I'm not the forum. I'm me. Theres no reason to take it personally.
I accept your opinion and personally don't care whether you liked the film or not. It was the whole I don't buy into hype thing that I obviously read wrongly. It just sounded a bit like you were saying you were better than anyone who was excited by the hype. Thats how it read to me anyway.

I'm sure you have bought into hype at some time in your life? A new Lynx/Jaguar game perhaps?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:30 pm

ianpmarks wrote: I'm not the forum. I'm me. Theres no reason to take it personally.
I'm sure he'll find a way regardless of how it's phrased :lol:

Saw it for a second time tonight, this time in a proper cinema rather than my local. VIP seating, right in the center, it absolutely blew me away! Just as fun the second time around. I'd give anything to see the second part tomorrow.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:09 pm

I thought it was fantastic, it was the best Sci-Fi action film I've seen for a long time... a long time. It shows the prequels for the embarrassing mess they mostly were. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:16 pm

bloody loved every minute of it. Only film i've seen in years that made me feel like a little kid again

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:20 am

I went to see this last night first and foremost as a Sci-fi fan, not a Star Wars fan and I absolutely loved it. You could pick at and disect the film all you like but to me it's a good solid Star Wars film and after the poor prequal trilogy, it's exactly what was needed.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 am

I went to see it last night, too, and thoroughly enjoyed it. People said the last half hour "dragged a bit" but I was assuming there was going to be another half hour after they get to Luke. I was a bit surprised when it ended, and I'm not sure which bit was supposed to have dragged!

I'm actually glad that Han Solo died (sorry). That might sound harsh, but he's just too old to be an action hero. every "action" sequence was so slow paced that he was prominent in.
It was nice of the rebellion to stop shooting and attacking the tie fighters when they kidnapped rei/ray/whatever. they were buzzing around killing everyone, then just vanished for those five minutes.
as mentioned, r2d2 came on for no particular explained reason. would have been nice to understand a bit more exactly what prompted it.
and god do i hate that stupid fcuking ball droid. it's a mechanical device with a ball, and it can be outrun by a human. and it may as well have just said "wall-e" half way through it's dialogue.
wasn't keen on a couple of the creatures that made an appearance, but some of them were great! just wish you'd had a bit more time to enjoy/take it all in, it was a bit *too* fast in places that you felt you were missing out appreciating some of it!

that might sound pretty negative, BUT
it was hugely enjoyable. it was funny in places (yes, twee and paying lip-service to star wars too much in others). it had some good sequences, and some good action. not sure any of the major fights stand up to anything classic so far, but maybe a second viewing will prove me wrong.
i'm going to go and see it again, in the IMAX this time, to try to get a bit more background detail.

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:20 pm

I quite liked it... but then again I quite liked it when I saw it in 1977.

Seriously, why the hell was it the same bloody film? Surely they could have come up with something better?

oh look, a beeping cutesy droid running around carrying a secret, empire pursuing said droid killing people in the way, an evil empire construct capable of destroying planets... but with a weak spot that can be exploited... a masked Sith lord related to one of the good guys and answering to an old evil sith master, a young jedi finding their way early, An old hero being killed by the masked sith lord. They even had a moff tarking type figure! Good god really? At least they didn't have a cantina scene.... oh wait yes they did, only amazed they didn't have the same cantina band striking up in the corner.

The problem is the 1977 film did it better, you had more of a backstory for luke, you had an inkling what the planets were that were getting blown up (did any of the viewers or characters care about the planets destroyed in this one?) and it just had more charm.

I did enjoy It, I just expected more originality. Hard to even mourn solo's loss because low and behold there is a solo-like ace pilot already lined up conveniently to make sure we have all the same characters just with different names.

Expect luke to bit the big one next, as we have a female luke now, and maybe leia will die once we get a new princess character in the next movie.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:22 am

My, Witchfinder's, SirClive's and BoggyB68's reviews are available on movie muse...

http://www.moviemuse.net/star-wars-the-force-awakens/
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:33 am

jdanddiet wrote:My, Witchfinder's, SirClive's and BoggyB68's reviews are available on movie muse...

http://www.moviemuse.net/star-wars-the-force-awakens/
Who the hell are those people??? Were they forum members once? ;)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:22 pm

saw it yesterday.
it was ok. thought it was on par with the prequel trilogy, it had better actors than those three films but lacked the epic feel of those same movies.

I came away with the feeling if it didn't have the old characters in it people would be saying it was an average sci fi movie ,but because of the hype around it, the starwars name....han, chewie etc.it's got an easier ride from the critics. I hope the next film is not a remake of empire strikes back.

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:14 pm

I thought it was a cracker. Its right up there with the originals for me.

Gutted about Solo. He can't be just gone like that surely?
He deserved more than that I feel.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:42 am

As others said Harrison Ford originally wanted to be killed off in Star Wars.

Reckon he said he'lll come back for this film as long as they killed off the character. Hes been wanting this to happen for ages. 50/50 for me, gutted hes gone but he did look 'old' and would have been weird if he was in Ep 8 and 9. Shame though