The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by dste » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:48 pm

che_don_john wrote:Saw it this afternoon at the Science Museum Imax. Is there a thread yet to separately discuss the film so as to not spoil it for those who haven't seen it?
I was going to wait a week before properly discussing with spoilers but thought why not do it now after seeing the post above.

In a nutshell it's A New Hope in a new skin.

The new cast were good apart from Hux who was fricking terrible and Snoke who was basically a giant head in a chair (was that the chair of Thanos?!) The beginning with the Rey and Finn storylines were good, after that it was just A New Hope. It was funny and it hit all the right nostalgia beats, the Falcon on Jakku and Han and Chewie returning to it. Leia and C3-P0 turning up, I like how the writing at the beginning looked old.

The death was good and handled well and even when I knew it was going to happen a small piece of me was hoping that it wouldn't but the reaction at the end from Chewie and Leia was crap, no hug or anything.

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren was good and the good/evil was kind of interesting though talking to Vader who died good.

Overall for me it was a 3/5 film. One was that good but was just meh, seen it before.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Re: The Force Awakens - What did you think with SPOILERS

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:05 am

4/5 for me

Took me back to the original trilogy. Loved the first half. Wasn't keen on that 'slug' type of monster and no offence that leader of the baddies with a Scottish accent. To me that feels out of place

Captain phasma was hardly seen but apparently that character will be seen much more in the future

Bit gutted we saw Kylo rens face but even then he looked quite cool/evil. The death of Han half surprised me. Someone from WOS posted about it before so they were deleted off Facebook ! Perhaps they were joke about it but it ruined that scene for me.

Makes sense as Han did look old plus harrison ford I'm sure wanted to be killed off The big baddie in that chair was okayish but I suppose for Star Wars it was a bit new. Loved the 'new' cantina type bit with the band and assortment of baddies. Bb8 was amusing specially the bit with the thumbs up

Had a fair few laughs. Action was great as wel. Think it was a safe option for the return of Star Wars but sets a great foundation.

Good ending as I wondered why we didn't see Luke on the poster. At one stage I thought he might have been Kylo ren Sets it up nicely for episode 8. Loved leia back in the heyday. Wouldn't say she's a milf now though ! Old voice ! Thought daisy Ridley did a great job and John boyega. Much better than the prequels

Would love to see it in 3D now. Like I say 4/5. Really enjoyed it

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:43 am

Really enjoyed it, you could see the suprise coming from how they built up the bridge scene but it was a suprise, I'm actually looking forward to what they do next.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:19 am

The Scottish accent wasn't the problem, the crap acting was. Nobody speaks like that, it was entirely unnatural, so sounded weird.

It was as if the director had asked them to En Un See Ate everything to be understood, but they took it too far. The Hobbits got it right in LOTR, bit of an accent but still speaking normally.

Maybe it was an intentional nod to Lucas?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:The Scottish accent wasn't the problem, the crap acting was. Nobody speaks like that, it was entirely unnatural, so sounded weird.

It was as if the director had asked them to En Un See Ate everything to be understood, but they took it too far. The Hobbits got it right in LOTR, bit of an accent but still speaking normally.

Maybe it was an intentional nod to Lucas?
Its just that i'm so used to just english/american accents i think in Star Wars, hearing that voice just didnt go with the fim to me, like you say not just the accent but the bad acting. It did seem like a nod to some of the bad acting in the prequels !

Looking back at that scene its quite cool two bunches of space pirates after Han. Did like the scene just because none of the trailers showed anything from that.

I think i may stay away possibly from all trailers for Rogue One, it drives up the hype big time as they're meant to do but also semi spoilt some of the scenes

Another day later and with some of the hype disappearing from my head i still think its a solid 4/5. Like i say felt like a 'safe' start to the new franchise, nothing too crazy and different.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 am

All you need to know is:

It's miles better than the increasingly ropey prequels.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:16 am

mrmessy wrote:All you need to know is:

It's miles better than the decreasingly ropey prequels.
Fixed that, I'm ok with Eps 2 & 3, hard not to be after the crushing disappointment of 1.

But you're right, the new one is miles better, it has the look and feel of the OT.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 am

Yeah i dont mind the prequels, theres a lot of crap in each one (think they do get slightly better one after another) but after seeing Episode 7 i realise even more how poor the prequels were

Theres good bits in the prequels, like the arena scene in Ep 2, Ep 3 is far better but such a shame after Ep 1.

Great start though with Ep 7, makes me wanting much more for Ep 8 (Eg Luke/Phasma etc)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm assuming we'll get to see more Phasma, as she seemed like a waste of space in this.
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:46 pm

felgekarp wrote:I'm assuming we'll get to see more Phasma, as she seemed like a waste of space in this.
In an interview Abrams said you'll see much more of her (which is good as otherwise she'll be like the new Boba Fett)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Saw it this morning "WOW" absolutely amazing!!

Supreme Leader Snook or the head was just a Hologram, I think he may be Emperor Palpentine but as we've only saw him as a hologram this could be a red herring, such as poster showing Finn with the Lightsaber when it's really Rei who's the Jedi.. When you see Little Girl 'Rei' left behind when the ship takes off.. When you first see Leia she exits the same ship..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:50 pm

Looking forward to doing more of this when i see the film again but i love looking at the scenery specially the different aliens.

Love the variety of them. That one on the 'elephant' type machine who had captured BB-8 was pretty cool. Quite a few good uns in that 'cantina' as well, the alien with the 'glasses' wasnt bad actually, some people are calling her the new Yoda.

That 'alien/slug' being which got most of those pirates wasnt too bad, wasnt keen on it at first but wasnt bad at all. The alien (Red head) who was helping Finn get off the planet looked quite cool.

Liked the machinery and the look of some of that stuff, Rey's speeder thing was good, like a proper cheap patched up type vehicle.

Did love the beginning of her in the star destroyer finding scrap metal etc. Reminds me of stories my dad told me when he was a kid and discoverings bits and pieces after WW II, my uncle was in a local paper a few years back as they discovered an unexploded bomb in his garden !

Great to see Ackbar/Nien Numb etc, hopefully there'll be some more nods/easter eggs in the film i'll discover

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:22 am

Any 5 minutes of new film> any entire prequel, but then again I've JUST seen it for 1st time & I'm drunk.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 am

How's the hangover ?

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:12 am

Just come back from cinema and loved it, I knew we'd only end up seeing Luke for a minute though! Tssk. I like the reverse of how Kylo Ren needed to finish his training, a spoilt little brat but not in the irritating way Anakin was. The humanising of the star troopers was really good like when they realised Ren was having a tantrum and backed off! :lol: