favourite christmas carols.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

aztecca

favourite christmas carols.

Post by aztecca » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Im not particularly religious or owt but I do love a good carol.Used to love belting them out in assembly at school.Still get a warm glow and all nostalgic memories of a simpler time being 10 years old.

Whats your top 3 Christmas carols.Mine are

1.O little town of Bethlehem
2.Once in royal Davids city
3.Good king wencelas
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Antiriad2097

Re: favourite christmas carols.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Vorderman, Danvers, Vega.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:47 am

aztecca wrote:Im not particularly religious or owt but I do love a good carol.Used to love belting them out in assembly at school.Still get a warm glow and all nostalgic memories of a simpler time being 10 years old.

Whats your top 3 Christmas carols.Mine are

1.O little town of Bethlehem
2.Once in royal Davids city
3.Good king wencelas

Well, those 3 are deffo tops for me too! :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:12 am

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:46 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Vorderman, Danvers, Vega.
Those carols aren't just for christmas. Anyway Ding Dong Merrily On High is mine.
Splink!

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:01 pm

In The Bleak Midwinter
I know it's a little miserable and clings to a barmy delusion of a Victorian freeze in the middle of Palestine, but it has a wonderful melody and gets a bit revelatory in the middle. From an 1872 poem by Christina Rossetti, set to music by none other than Gustav Holst.
O Little Town of Bethlehem and The First Nowell have similarly pleasant tunes, but the former has been mechanically regurgitated through too many school assemblies by enthusiastic but amateur piano-bashers, and the latter is surpassed with a truly fantastic harp accompaniment from the Pro Arte Orchestra's performance of the Carol Symphony, as heard in the opening to the BBC's adaptation of The Box of Delights.

Good King Wenceslas
There are some good, rousing, manly carols around but God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen needs a number of high and controlled voices so as not to completely ruin it, and Good Christian Men Rejoice always sounds too forced, when one would would rather just listen to the tune, ably performed by Mike Oldfield (In Dulci Jubilo); although at least that always was a Christmas tune. Again, the lyrics are a complete fabrication, actually concerning a Duke, and the tune is originally a spring carol (see how easily one can sing "Tempus adest floridum" - 'It is time for flowering' - to the opening bars). But it's a strong tune for all voices and sounds like something you could still belt out after a few jars of Glühwein.

Don't really have another favourite. OK, because it's Christmas I'll bring back an earlier reject:
O Little Town of Bethlehem
But only because, with an 8-6-8-6 syllabic 'Common Metre' pattern you can sing it to the tune of The Muppet Show! :lol:

(As a footnote on the Common Metre thing, if you really want to confuse people, it's also very easy to sing the first few lines O Little Town of Bethlehem to the tune of The First Nowell).

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:39 pm

I like the parupapum pum one.
Going Solo...................

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:34 pm

It's not something I've given a lot of thought to but I always remember prefering See Him Lying On A Bed Of Straw as a child because it was more upbeat than most carols.

Incidently, what is the definition of a Christmas carol, as opposed to a Christmas song?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:45 pm

pratty wrote:It's not something I've given a lot of thought to but I always remember prefering See Him Lying On A Bed Of Straw as a child because it was more upbeat than most carols.

Incidently, what is the definition of a Christmas carol, as opposed to a Christmas song?
God bothering lyrical content, I suppose?
Going Solo...................

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:08 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:
pratty wrote:It's not something I've given a lot of thought to but I always remember prefering See Him Lying On A Bed Of Straw as a child because it was more upbeat than most carols.

God bothering lyrical content, I suppose?
I considered that but Good King Wenceslas isn't specifically about Jesus, so does it just have to have religious references?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:45 pm

I Saw Three Ships
Silent Night
O Little Town of Bethlehem

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Coventry Carol is an amazing, beautiful bit of music - even outside of christmas.

The Erasure version of Gaudete (not strictly a carol I think) is also good fun.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:30 pm

pratty wrote:Incidently, what is the definition of a Christmas carol, as opposed to a Christmas song?
The Hardest of All Freds wrote:God bothering lyrical content, I suppose?
pratty wrote:I considered that but Good King Wenceslas isn't specifically about Jesus, so does it just have to have religious references?
I believe it is implied that the Good King's (Duke's) faith was what warmed his footprints for his pursuiant subservient. Rather, than, for example, hobnail boots propped up in front of a roaring fire. Or a thorough knowledge of a network or subterranean inter-building heating conduits.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Vorderman, Danvers, Vega.
I was going to attempt a similar joke, but for some reason I could only think of Karel Poborsky. And now I can't get the image of him looking like a Czech Wierd Al Yankovic out of my head...

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:23 pm

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

Which, for the Erasure fan, has also been covered by the duo on their Christmas EP. Way back..