Christmas Rituals

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

AceGrace

Christmas Rituals

Post by AceGrace » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:07 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any christmas rituals?

Mine is : that every christmas eve we all watch 'The Polar Express', then 'Christmas Vacation'.

samhain81

Re: Christmas Rituals

Post by samhain81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:57 am

My only Christmas ritual really, is to watch my favourite Christmas film, Jingle All the Way.

Every year I find something new to laugh at. The movie will never get old for me. I saw it at the cinema on release when I was younger, and remains to this day , my favourite christmas film.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:00 am

Must admit i'm not a fan of old xmas films. As a kid i liked them but cant stand them now. My 5 year old likes the Polar Express but not a chance in hell i would watch that !

Star Wars films i'll always watch on TV but thats about it. Still watch top of the pops but its sad to see it on once a year but then again the musics so dire on it its no surprise

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:40 am

I will watch Elf, The Muppets Christmas Carol, Scrooged, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and probably a few others

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:02 am

The Muppets Christmas Carol is excellent. I have to watch that. And Gremlins.

This year I'm buying up some older Christmas CDs to make my own with all my favourites on. Just bought a 'Best...Ever' for Wizzard, Chris Rhea, Greg Lake and a bit of Shaky, and a very hard to find HMV mix for some classical music, Including this piece from the Carol Symphony as played by the Pro Arte Orchestra under Barry Rose. You might not think you know it, but when it gets to 2:20 it might ring some bells, so to speak...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8MSB0ZRok
Last edited by joefish on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 am

samhain81 wrote:My only Christmas ritual really, is to watch my favourite Christmas film, Jingle All the Way.

Every year I find something new to laugh at. The movie will never get old for me. I saw it at the cinema on release when I was younger, and remains to this day , my favourite christmas film.
I think any reasonably light hearted Arnie film provides good christmas entertainment, even if there is no specific Xmas theme - Kindergarten Cop is another classic for example.

I'll have to watch Jingle All the Way again, think I saw it last year, but don't remember THAT much of it, other than of course "PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN!"

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am

Every year since I was a kid I have watched the snowman and charlie browns Christmas. In recent yrars I have also added Bad santa to that list.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:38 pm

jingle all the way, home alone 1&2, gremlins and Santa Claus the movie

also my fave film of all time, planes trains and automobiles. I know its set at thanksgiving but t still has that xmassy feel

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Christmas Rituals...hmm...

Well we never have a traditional roast on Christmas, far too much hassle. Instead we chill with pizza, party food and snacks all day! :)

Always make sure the dog gets a nice Christmas morning walk before any presents are opened up...

Oh, and it's not Christmas without The Nightmare Before Christmas, Home Alone & Die Hard 2 :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Film wise it has to be Christmas Vacation! We all love that film and good shout with Planes, Trains and Auto-mobiles - one of the best comedies ever!

Love Christmas.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:27 am

I watched Home Alone twice on Sunday, and again yesterday. And on the 14th I'm going to Odeon because they're doing a 25th anniversary screening of Home Alone. Can't wait to see it on the big screen again.

On Christmas Eve I read my little boy my old copy of The Night Before Christmas. It means the world to me because its the same copy I was bought for my first Christmas back in 81. Every year I get teary doing that.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:03 am

The wife insists on watch 'Wonderful Life' every Xmas...

No other Xmas film exists apparently...

:x :x :x :x :x

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:45 am

I did want to see 'It's a Wonderful Life' but of course the shops hide it on DVD, then ramp up the price around Christmas.
It wasn't worth it. The ordinary bits with the family are so corny, the film itself is grubby and that accent? It's worse than the censored-er-ney voices in 'Mary Poppins'.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:27 am

joefish wrote:I did want to see 'It's a Wonderful Life' but of course the shops hide it on DVD, then ramp up the price around Christmas.
It wasn't worth it. The ordinary bits with the family are so corny, the film itself is grubby and that accent? It's worse than the censored-er-ney voices in 'Mary Poppins'.
I know!

It grinds my gears that she won't entertain ANYTHING ELSE! This is the one thing that she does that really boils my p1ss!

:x

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:45 am

We always watch a Christmas movie on Christmas eve. It's a loose Christmas theme movie so things like Gremlins, Die Hard are as acceptable as Scrooged or It's a Wonderful Life.

Christmas eve presents. Usually for the kids, new PJs, new teddy bear, a cartoon on dvd.

It's nice to have traditions but they're sometime hard to carry them on when families change, grow up, grow older....

Gaming wise, it's an opportunity to play some old favourites and I have to play Monty's Christmas Special. I love that game and have never gotten near to finishing it. Maybe this year is the year I crack it.