Unsavoury Carboot incident.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Unsavoury Carboot incident.

Post by rossi46 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am

My wife is doing a bootsale this morning and I took some along in my car to help set up. Just a box of games, pads and magazines no longer needed.

I hadn't even got the first box out of the car when we were swamped by guys looking for video games 'for their kids'.

After a minute, I lost my temper completely and told them, in quite colourful language to 'take themselves off elsewhere', at least until I had a chance to properly set up. The bootsale doesn't start til 0900 and this was about 0750, so I was a bit miffed. one guy was arguing with me saying I was out of order. I told him I knew he wasn't there for his kids and had he been honest and said at the start that he was an eBay seller (like me, ironically) trying to get a jump on everyone else, he may have gotten a little more respect.

Anyway, bottom line is my wife and me fell out and I've been banned from helping out today. Am I in the wrong here? Should I have just let the vultures swoop over my stuff when it wasn't even unpacked yet?

Fcuckin scummer scammers.
Thoughts and prayers.

The Beans

Re: Unsavoury Carboot incident.

Post by The Beans » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:07 am

Well, you're in the right of course. Such scummers should be resisted. They're the boot sale equivalent of the greedy seagulls that swoop down on your bag of chips. They're just doing what they do but the annoyance factor is high.
Not that it will change anything. When it comes to women you're in the wrong no matter how much you're in the right. In fact, in my experience the more you're in the right the wronger you somehow become and everything is inexplicably your fault.
Your time in the doghouse will pass. Until the next time you're right but also wrong. At which point you'll be reminded of this event in great detail.
Last edited by The Beans on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:52 am

yes, you are in the wrong, no question about that.

you snapped and told people to "F**k **f within one minute of them coming over, a complete overreaction. to compound the problem you started arguing with complete strangers and throwing around wild accusations about why they were there.

you should have stayed in bed and left the wife to it, car boot sales are flea infested sh1t holes and no place to spend a Sunday morning, make the wife a nice dinner and apologise.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:14 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: you snapped and told people to "F**k **f within one minute of them coming over, a complete overreaction. to compound the problem you started arguing with complete strangers and throwing around wild accusations about why they were there.
He deserves kudos for lasting as long as a minute imo.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 am

Lol the bit where the guy lifted a bag out of my car and started pulling the contents to bits was the final straw.

I consider myself a bootsale veteran, on both sides of the counter, but this was too much for me today.

I probably did overreact but why worry.

As an aside, isn't it interesting that the foreign visitors are the most polite?

They are here, anyway.
Thoughts and prayers.

David

Post by David » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:42 am

I'm with you Rossi, last one I done I was there for 4am and 2 guys went into my back seats with torches to try and get at the boot from the inside while I was emptying it

was ready to kill folk

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:58 am

The Beans wrote: When it comes to women you're in the wrong no matter how much you're in the right.
Truer words were never spoken :lol:

I feel your frustration Rossi, these people really are annoying vultures and never seem to take a kind word asking them to leave. After a few run ins they've put me off bothering to sell at car boots (now I just use my local Facebook want ads - much nicer!).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:59 am

rossi46 wrote:Lol the bit where the guy lifted a bag out of my car and started pulling the contents to bits was the final straw.
Actually isnt there some kinda of law against people going thought pothers possessions without permission?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:50 am

Ugh, it still surprises me how greedy and desperate some people are - and often at the expense of others. :evil:

I don't often go to carboot sales, but I'm probably always at least 6 hours too late. The vultures seem to enjoy being awake at 4am on a Sunday morning to do their dawn raids - oh well, whatever floats their boat. They obviously need to do this more than I do.
rossi46 wrote:
As an aside, isn't it interesting that the foreign visitors are the most polite?

They are here, anyway.
Well its always nice to hear a positive comment about foreign people for a change, conducting themselves well, but I'm sure there are plenty of English car-booters who have good etiquette as well.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:55 am

I once beat a games hoarder to my local one, I got there for 8am and felt what I didnt want was pointless to buy anyway (almost everything, a battered Binatone urgh)

He posted on a Facebook page what he got, it was everything I left

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 am

Rossi, I'd have been the same as you.

What stopped me from car booting was the I realised fairly quickly that I seemed to be supplementing the incomes of resellers rather than real dads with kids, gamers and collectors.

Rather depressingly it forced me over to eBay to sell things as I don't have a local game shop near me.

What makes boot fairs that much more horrid is that you - when going game hunting - have to adopt the mentality of the reseller to actually find anything, which is utterly depressing.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 am

I'd have done exactly the same as you, in all honesty. People that simply have no respect for you as a seller deserve none back, imo.

If i'm selling I park up, set up the table then lock the car and go and get a cup of tea. Most (not all) of the vultures will have moved on to other cars further up the line as they don't have the patience to wait and are frightened of missing out on an easier touch.

Works for me, anyway :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:54 am

I know some people who regularly sell at a big car boot sale, and the tales they have are crazy. Apparently some buyers stand in the car park with binoculars spying on the sellers setting up. That to me is creepy and quite tragic.

In response to the OP. perfectly understandable to lose your rag, especially if they took stuff from your car without clearing it with you.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:28 am

As someone already mentioned, a good tactic is to arrive, lock up and go get a cup of tea.
I also used to announce I was an experienced seller and everything would be at ebay prices, that tends to get rid of them :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:34 pm

^"Well on Ebay..................."

MAKE THEM FEAR YOU!!!