Raspberry Pi Zero - implications for mobile retro gaming?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeFishcake

Raspberry Pi Zero - implications for mobile retro gaming?

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:11 am

So the Raspberry Pi "Zero" has been released. £4 (plus the cost of any additional extras you might need).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

I'm thinking that its diminutive size is going to mean there's a lot of potential for hacking into old handhelds (and maybe even smaller kit). Has anyone here got one and plans to do anything like that with it?

DPrinny

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero - implications for mobile retro gaming

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:20 am

Already had the idea of putting it in a USB competition pro joystick

I got an original one that I haven't really used and dont know if still works, anyone want it for postage costs?

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:23 am

Managed to get one this morning from WHSmiths at Crewe train station.

Can't believe how small it is!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:36 am

yakmag wrote:Managed to get one this morning from WHSmiths at Crewe train station.

Can't believe how small it is!
The newsagents they have at train stations are usually quite small.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:20 am

I've been trying to find a copy of that magazine. None of my local WhSmiths have it at all. They all say they are expecting it in but it hasn't come in yet.

I just want 2 copies 1 each for my kids.

It seems that HotUKDeals have got wind of it and it is selling on ebay for ridiculous prices.

Sometimes I hate the internet.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:10 am

There's always been the potential for this as there's a lot of dead space on the Pi board, connectors that aren't going to be used much and the ones that are could always have been replaced by smaller, if less standard ones. That said, I'm very impressed by the price. Even given the huge bulk of them that they've been selling, this is practically giving them away.

Unfortunately, those non-standard connectors mean that what you save on the original will probably be eaten up and then some by the cost of new cables and/or adapters, so the Pi 2 and A+ are going to remain cost-effective for most projects unless you really need the small size.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:33 am

It looks great for embedded systems or for classroom training, but on balance I'm trying to convince myself it's probably not worth the effort of chasing down the magazine... :|

If you really want the board, you could just buy one, and when I look at the board itself, it seems more hassle than it's worth compared to the more expensive one with multiple full-size USBs, a network connector, and the GPIO headers actually fitted. I do have a Mk 1 board with its own lovingly-crafted LEGO casement, but it's seen little use these last few years. Frankly, it would have got more use if it had SVGA out, as old 4:3 LCD monitors cost peanuts.

I do want to stick a multi-emulator on a Pi and fit it inside a fighting stick (I have a couple of unused Wii ones I got cheap, which are ideal, and some cheap joystick USB encoders from Hong Kong - which are incidentally way, way cheaper than keyboard encoders from the usual MAME kit suppliers). But it's just one on a list of various other projects.

So frankly, I think it makes very little difference. I suppose someone could try to productionise it for Retro Gaming, but the price saving compared to any of the Pi models that have gone before is frankly trivial compared to the cost of all the other bits that would have to ship with it as a complete system.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:20 am

AceGrace wrote:I've been trying to find a copy of that magazine. None of my local WhSmiths have it at all. They all say they are expecting it in but it hasn't come in yet. I just want 2 copies 1 each for my kids. It seems that HotUKDeals have got wind of it and it is selling on ebay for ridiculous prices. Sometimes I hate the internet.
Me too. The number of people who were looking for it in central London was astounding. Four different groups combed the Linux section in the Oxford St WH Smith while I was checking out the RG bookazines. Staff seemed bemused that so many people were looking for this single magazine, even when one person insisted they hadn't sold out because a forum post indicated they had several copies.

I was disappointed not to have seen it, but can't imagine I'd use it. I'd prefer to have a faster Pi2 for most purposes

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:24 am

Nobody looking for it in Tescos at lunchtime (apart from me). None there :(

Not that I particularly want one, but it seemed so easy to pick up a mag, have a read about Pi stuff and tinker with the freebie.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:26 am

I was hoping to go find this mag, looks like my luck is probably out though, considering I won't get to a shop until after work.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:55 am

Had a look in WH Smiths in Manchester at lunchtime out of curiosity but couldn't see it. I did pick up a Zombie magazine with a cool Oli Frey cover so it wasn't a total loss!

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:51 am

I wanted one to mess about with, see what it is like compared to my Pi2 but I have not been able to find one in the shops and I am not paying £35+ on ebay. I will just wait soon enough they will be back at £5
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:01 am

rocky1980 wrote:I wanted one to mess about with, see what it is like compared to my Pi2 but I have not been able to find one in the shops and I am not paying £35+ on ebay. I will just wait soon enough they will be back at £5
Think people will wait for a reprint, that will mess up the scaplers

I might just wait till I can get the board on its own.

Anyway, this was poosted on Facebook

WE HAVE COME FAR!!
But we still have far to go

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Continued looking around shops at the weekend, even small newsagents. No copies anywhere.

Spoke to an exasperated Whsmith member of staff who said that they were not getting any and that people had been ringing constantly.

Bloody annoys me these flipping scalpers.

Still, I will wait until RS Components etc.. get the boards back in for £5.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Apparently Asda was supposed to have some in, I tried looking more than once this week both there and in WH Smith but no luck. I even have a broken Famiclone I was going to gut for the casing.